• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

It was 1.2 previously. I know because my family and I have yet to ride it in its new form due to the youngest child not being tall enough on previous visits. Since our last visit she has passed the 1.2 mark, so this adjustment won’t make a difference to us now but it’s good that the ride is now more accessible to smaller kids and their families. 1.2 always seemed a bit excessive to me, but I understand why they were cautious.

This was kind of expected as the train is clearly at the end of its operating life plus Intamin don't make a model like this anymore. It make sense financially for a retheme and a new train and they could get another 10-15 years out of the coaster.

At least people get the chance to ride standup for one last time before the end of the season. The new coaster also sounds very interesting

New train coming to a renamed and rethemed Shockwave

From: https://youtu.be/H-ZHUrM3Njo?si=yGsUlTMemCnIyFbT&t=538

Shockwave changes - I wonder if they will use the longer straight pieces of track (before the lift hill and after the loop) an enclose them and make on ride visuals - I know the coaster is nearly 30 years old but like apocalypse it would be a shame too see it go! I can see a longer train with rows of 2 not 4 going in place maybe? Sounds interesting

Nice to hear the new coaster will be a custom layout. I’m very excited about it.

What intrigues me more however is Shockwave getting a new train. She mentions the height limit will be coming down to 1.2 which pretty much confirms the stand up element will be going. This makes me sad as I feel that is what makes that coaster so unique, but the other side of the argument is that a lower height restriction will make the coaster more accessible, it’ll be a good introduction to inversions for younger visitors whilst also being thrilling enough for older guests too. So I guess it’s not a terrible decision overall.

I think I’ll need to get at least one more visit in to get some final rides on Shockwave as we know it!

Intamin applied for a patent for a new train a year or so ago- that features a surf board theme and with sit down seats that were at a slight angle rather than facing straight forward. This featured Intamin lap bars. These trains look wider than Intamin standard 2 across trains

I wonder if this is the train we will see, as the surf board look of the train would certainly fit into the adventure cove area.

You can see images on below link

From: https://twitter.com/coastersnbrews/status/1627309104413696005

Last edited:
The variable settings on the new coaster to give a different experience is interesting. I wonder if it will feature the Intamin trains that offer controlled spinning, as that would allow them to alter the experience ie they could have it for example be either backwards or forwards on the launch section. Or having it non spinning or they might be able to change to allow free spinning. Lots of possibilities as could be simply changes to theming effects or even audio if has on board audio.

I hope the continued improvements work well for the park, currently exploiting what is a shortfall in Alton’s line up, large selection of family and family thrill attractions. The more competition Drayton can give Alton the better (and Paultons to chessie) as will hopefully force Merlin to improve their investments further to compete.

Last edited:
Well I'm over the moon, absolutely hate the stand up trains on shockwave I find them brutally uncomfortable and it's the only ride I've ever came off with a migraine and the rest of my day was ruined.

I still won't be getting an annual pass because there's not enough thrill anymore but I'll definitely be getting a couple visits again next season.

The Intamin surfboard train is a great shout, would certainly make it more interesting. I think the move is to get another 10-15 years out of the coaster so they can invest in other areas of the park.

I still think we will see a new drop tower from Intamin at some point either in Vikings or the new area.

Nice to hear the new coaster will be a custom layout. I’m very excited about it.

What intrigues me more however is Shockwave getting a new train. She mentions the height limit will be coming down to 1.2 which pretty much confirms the stand up element will be going. This makes me sad as I feel that is what makes that coaster so unique, but the other side of the argument is that a lower height restriction will make the coaster more accessible, it’ll be a good introduction to inversions for younger visitors whilst also being thrilling enough for older guests too. So I guess it’s not a terrible decision overall.

I think I’ll need to get at least one more visit in to get some final rides on Shockwave as we know it!
Shawn also mentions that the stand-up element will be removed there and she doesn't really push back against him

Shockwave is crap, a sitdown train will make it yawningly dull. There's only 2 stand ups in Europe and it is by far the worst. However they probably can't afford a B&M train so what else can they do? The suggestion above about a tunnel or something to try and hide boring straight would be good.

It's pretty funny that Nemesis and Shockwave are getting changes at the same time, whilst the only change the Big One is getting is losing its record.
Only Nemesis seems to have a positive change, which thankfully is nothing when you honestly think about how it'll be still the same ride. Unless it somehow all works with Shockwave if they can maybe add some tunnel theming to those straight sections to make the ride a little bit less dull.