• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Precisely why I will be avoiding the park like the plague that day. Not like I will be starved of information, there will be a flood of uploads all racing to be the first to cover any interesting information.
I think it’s a great idea as it costs the park nothing. Im sure Shawn will have a on site construction update the day before or on the morning before the park opens.
I do wonder how much has been done over the past 3 weeks. Shame it’s Mothers day on Sunday as I would have popped the park for the Thomas event.

Last edited:
I think it’s a great idea as it costs the park nothing. Im sure Shawn will have a on site construction update the day before or on the morning before the park opens.
I do wonder how much has been done over the past 3 weeks. Shame it’s Mums day on Sunday as I would have popped the park for the Thomas event.
Haven't you heard? The Wave, at Drayton Manor Park and Zoo, is the country's most thrilling FAMILY coaster. They've got you covered. Bring your mother along!

Technically speaking Mothering Sunday, in the UK, has nothing to do with the US tradition of celebrating your actual mother. Mothering Sunday is about celebrating your mother church, the church where you were baptised. Another free pass!

See you on Sunday?

I do wonder how much has been done over the past 3 weeks. Shame it’s Mums day on Sunday as I would have popped the park for the Thomas event.

I never said it was not a great idea, just not for me ;). In fact it is such a good idea, I can sit in the comfort of my own home and get my fix of information in peace. While all the vloggers battle over being the first to publish a 16 minute long video on a newly painted door.

Last edited:
I think it's great younger kids can enjoy a more thrilling coaster with inversions. There is a myth that kids don't want more extreme thrills between 8-13 age range and I think they are the most under catered for group in terms of rides. Drayton are onto a winner here imo

My son is exceptionally small for his age but even at age 7 his favourite ride was Vampire and now it’s Mandrill Mayhem and Rage. I can guarantee he’d be on every ride at Thorpe Park if he was allowed.

Do see plenty of older children who are terrified though.

My two are small too. Nearly 9 year old only hit 1.2 last year and my 11 year old is around 1.33. It was a long wait for the youngest to hit 1.2 but now they both can’t wait to hit 1.4 as that opens up so many more rides for them in the uk (less of an issue when we go to parks abroad).

Can’t wait to take them on The Wave. Should be a really good experience for younger kids feeling brave enough for their first coaster with inversions. I think it’ll end up being really popular. Especially for kids too old for Thomas Land.

I was initially against them changing the trains to sit down, I felt like that was the one thing about the coaster that made it unique and I still think that. But also think changing to sit down and opening the ride up to more guests is probably for the best.

Changing the train is probably the best they can make out of this situation. It might make it less unique but it allows them to keep the coaster going for a fraction of the cost of a new coaster. Even if this lasts 6-7 years, they then scrap the track and use the train elsewhere in the Looping Portfolio / sell it

Changing the train is probably the best they can make out of this situation. It might make it less unique but it allows them to keep the coaster going for a fraction of the cost of a new coaster. Even if this lasts 6-7 years, they then scrap the track and use the train elsewhere in the Looping Portfolio / sell it
I think they will get a solid 10 years out of 'The Wave' which will allow them to focus on other areas like the old Pirate Adventure building.

When it's time does come it's going to be expensive to replace but I suspect Jormungander may go first

I’ve heard a rumour but not sure how true it is that draytons hands are pretty much tied with what they can and can’t do with shockwave. If they take the coaster down , they are unable to put another coaster there do to proximity of houses ?

I’ve heard a rumour but not sure how true it is that draytons hands are pretty much tied with what they can and can’t do with shockwave. If they take the coaster down , they are unable to put another coaster there do to proximity of houses ?
I mean that's always been the gist amongst enthusiasts apparently the council said they would not approve anything in that location again or something along those lines which would be a reason to prolong this coasters life, not that I think it would ever get a full retrack.

I mean that's always been the gist amongst enthusiasts apparently the council said they would not approve anything in that location again or something along those lines which would be a reason to prolong this coasters life, not that I think it would ever get a full retrack.
Thanks so much :) little lad has pretty much got me into the enthusiast world (we suspect he may have some autistic tendencies which is being investigated by health services,) he has a very strong obsession with roller coasters and is always searching into these things whether it be Siri or approached bloggers on site 😂 he seems to know who everyone is which provides a good chuckle when a 6 now 7 year old approaches each one he sees.

I'm not sure how much that proximity issue is true any more. The version of this story I have previously heard is that due to its proximity to houses, technically it shouldn't have got permission in 1994.

But that is not the same as not being able to get permission for the site now. There has now been a coaster there for 30 years, so there is now a precedent for a coaster being on that site, so any replacement is likely to be looked on more favourably, if it was basically like for like (i.e. a similar scale of coaster).

It would be very easy for the park to test either way, though, as they could apply for planning permission without any obligation to remove The Wave. That would set them on a course of either replacing the ride if the planning permission is approved, or continuing to repair if it was rejected.

Coaster technology has also moved on considerably over the last 30 years in terms of sound and noise levels. Lift hills and brake runs especially, not forgetting track design. We’ll never truly know until the park want to do something with that area. But I don’t think it’ll be an issue based purely on the planning issues that were encountered 30 years ago.

I also thought it was not the entire layout that was the issue but was the final turn that is outside the area where they should have had permission to build a coaster/ride.