• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

unnecessary dig..?
Highly necessary. He's breached ASA (and now Ofcom) guidelines on commercial disclosure again.

Before Craig tells me off for the usual: "If you want to talk about a content creator, do so on their platforms etc..." - I wonder how long it will take Ofcom / ASA to start punishing the advertiser / commercial partner too, in incidents such as these. Drayton should really insist that disclosure about access and gifts are made, or refuse to give them again.

Watched the new TPWW vlog. They didn't mention the empty back row or poor operations but they were there pre-opening as guests #ShawnSoldOut

Oh and he seemed fairly confident the new coaster will be open for the summer holidays (which are 2.5 months away)
I think something must have gone very wrong if it isn't open by the summer holidays. Track is complete, station and launch buildings coming on nicely, testing looks to have started, a lot of the theming (rocks, barrels etc...) on site ready to be installed. I would say probably mid June opening.

Highly necessary. He's breached ASA (and now Ofcom) guidelines on commercial disclosure again.

Before Craig tells me off for the usual: "If you want to talk about a content creator, do so on their platforms etc..." - I wonder how long it will take Ofcom / ASA to start punishing the advertiser / commercial partner too, in incidents such as these. Drayton should really insist that disclosure about access and gifts are made, or refuse to give them again.

They did thank Drayton at the start for the invitation and early access, does that not qualify as a disclosure?

Whilst ever optimistic, i've never found TPWW (to my knowledge) to be dishonest, nor am i suggesting they are on this occasion. If they were there early then they possibly did not witness the reported long queues and slow operations. They must have seen the empty back row though as they rode 3 times from different positions so it stood out as an unusual omission, especially compared to the detail they went into on the various Voltron rides recently.

I think something must have gone very wrong if it isn't open by the summer holidays. Track is complete, station and launch buildings coming on nicely, testing looks to have started, a lot of the theming (rocks, barrels etc...) on site ready to be installed. I would say probably mid June opening.
There is the possibility that the park may actually have planned to have the coaster launch at a specific point in the summer just in time for the summer holiday season rather than getting it open sooner. It seems to me that Drayton like to hold back on the marketing for their attractions and only start to advertise a ride just before it opens rather than teasing it out over a longer period like the Merlin parks do. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are wanting to open this very close to the start of the school holidays to keep it fresh in people’s minds.

But he did thank Drayton for the invite and access - that’s enough.

Also, you are aware Ofcom doesn’t regulate YouTube videos, right? Its remit only covers online safety - not anything commercial - but don’t let that get in the way of your second unfair dig at Shawn on here in as many weeks.

Seemed like Shawn went in pretty hard against Towers on one of his videos after not being invited to the press thing for Nemesis though, but when Drayton give him preferential treatment bad things somehow got missed. Could just be me though as I've only watched a couple of his vids in recent years.

Seemed like Shawn went in pretty hard against Towers on one of his videos after not being invited to the press thing for Nemesis though, but when Drayton give him preferential treatment bad things somehow got missed. Could just be me though as I've only watched a couple of his vids in recent years.

I watch most of his videos (I really enjoy them) and he generally seems fair and unbiased to the best of my knowledge. Like I mentioned, he was very critical of Voltron but again in a fair manner and gave a balanced view after multiple rides.

The back row thing on The Wave does seem like a red flag and it’s very strange that nobody (that I’ve seen) has mentioned it.

Even in yesterday’s Drayton video, Shawn did not have wholly positive things to say; while his overall thoughts were positive, he did politely criticise the front of the train.

In terms of the throughputs and operations, he probably wasn’t really exposed to that issue given that he rode it early on. If I was riding a coaster on a walk-on queue, I’d be far less minded to criticise the operations than if I’d waited for over an hour. When you’re walking onto a ride as Shawn and Charlotte did with The Wave, the operations won’t really be something you’re fully exposed to.

There are plenty of other videos where Shawn has received free admission and still gone on to politely criticise numerous aspects of a park. I can’t think of specific examples off the top of my head, but I can definitely remember instances. I don’t think he only says nice things when he gets freebies by any means.

In terms of whether he’s breached Ofcom/ASA guidelines; he thanked Drayton for the invite at the beginning of the video, which I’d personally consider sufficient declaration.

It does seem to me like some on here have a bit of a vendetta against Sanbrooke and vloggers more generally. If vlogs aren’t your thing, that’s fair enough, but it does seem like some have nothing good to say about these individuals.

Last edited:
Seems like some want certain vloggers to be above criticism. Being slightly critical about the look of the front of a train (or whatever it was) versus genuine operational issues that could mean you end up queueing for hours are totally different things, so I think it was fair that it was pointed out in the first place by someone else. But, we are genuinely going off topic here. The only reason it's rumbled on is because there was a (in my opinion) fair observation about the fairness of a review and then people have jumped in in defence when it didn't really warrant a defence.

I don't know what the obsession is with people wanting to discuss Shawn and his content at nearly every available opportunity, but as we as a team have said on numerous occasions, please can we keep discussion to the topic in hand rather than that rights or wrongs of what Shawn or any other vlogger has done. If you have an issue with their content, please take it up with them on their platforms where they can reply to you should they wish.

And if you really don't like them, just don't watch them!

I'm not going to remove previous posts as they are mixed in with other discussion, but any further posts will be removed. Thank you.

It sounds like they need ART to fix whatever programming issue is causing the problem when people pull on their lap bar.

In a situation with invited guests it’s far more likely they will follow instructions compared to the GP, so it’s likely the throughput will vary wildly depending on the guest profile at any given time.

Still needs fixing !

It's a difficult thing to do, your so used to getting on rides doing the seat belt and pulling down your lap bar it's just a natural instinct. Same with RMC coasters were the staff need to do a visual check on the seat belts before they close the restraints for you. So easy even when re-riding to completely forget until you've started to pull down the restraint.