• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Dreamland Margate: General Discussion

Great news for the Dreamland Trust, just hoping the court turns down the appeal.

DiogoJ42 said:
Wouldn't surprise me if they upheld it tbh ::)

What's that on the basis of...? ::)

The court are obviously going to rule in favour of Thanet council, this appeal is merely a legal formality.

I haven't looked into this at all, but how much of a market is there for this, really? I can't see people paying much for something "old" when other parks have a more modern and thrilling line-up.

There is a massive market for it Dar. There isn't anything of this kind in Kent, with it's closest competitor being the god awful 'Dickens World'. It will bring in all the people in the local towns and with it joining the growing number of attractions in the town, it will catch tourists visiting for those other attractions, as well as attract people through it's own right.

Margate is currently in the process of making itself a very culture centric town with the opening of the Turner Contemporary of which has had unprecedented success for a gallery outside of a major city. The unique heritage element of this attraction will draw in the same sorts crowd who are interested in the gallery as it is the cultural aspect which they will find attractive.

Finally, I have to ask whether massive financial success should really be the aim of this project? It is effectively a museum and as such the conservation is as justified a reason to go ahead with Dreamland if nothing else.

Highlights from the latest newsletter...

Dreamland Trust said:
As we enter 2013 we move into another important phase for Dreamland Margate project. Throughout last year, we assisted Thanet District Council with its compulsory purchase of the Dreamland site, a process that both parties embarked on with great reluctance, but one that was essential if there was to be any chance of Dreamland reopening as an amusement park. Margate has endured a vacant, derelict site in the heart of its seafront for far too long.

In 2013, we hope to finally be able to get on site and start work on Stage One of the Dreamland Margate development, to include: the refurbishment of the park entrance through the Dreamland Cinema building; landscaping; the installation of a number of exciting rides; the restoration of the Scenic Railway and much more.

We have a fantastic team who are making this project happen, led by our Project Director, Mike Nuttall, and our Audience Development Officer, Jan Leandro. Our consultant design team is now led by Wayne Hemingway and the talented group of people at HemingwayDesign, and we are being advised on the restoration of our rides by Michael Smith of the Dingles Fairground Heritage Centre.

With the park due to open in 2014, this year is undoubtedly going to be our busiest yet, and you should see more visible work on site over the summer as the project gathers pace. We hope to be able to open a visitor centre on site too; an inspiring place where visitors can learn about the project, see exhibitions and buy souvenirs, and we also hope this will be a great resource for schools and the local community. There will also be a programme of events through the summer to whet your appetite for the opening of Dreamland next year.

PROJECT UP-DATE

Just before the end of last year we received news from our partners, Thanet District Council, that the hearing date for the appeal to the Compulsory Purchase Order has been set for 20 and 21 March 2013. We understand there will be a 28-day vesting process thereafter if we are successful and we can anticipate access to the site in May.

Meanwhile design work is progressing with HemingwayDesign and architects, Guy Hollaway, whilst Michael Smith of Dingles is busy producing the restoration schedule for the historic rides collection. Programming is also underway for the 2013 pre-opening period.

I'll sure be able to breath a sigh of relief when they actually get access to the site and actually get their hands on the Scenic...

So they can access the site at the earliest of May?! I really cant see it opening in 2014, with all the plans they have for this year.

Well, late 2014 possibly.

When I went in 2006 (I think), the only ride that was open was the Scenic.

Given the nature of the site, they can probably open it that way. If they manage to restore the Scenic from May 2013 to beginning of season 2014, they could probably just have that open again and gradually bring other rides 'online'. :)

I went not long after that... but was too young and scared to go on the coasters :(
But what on earth was that... thing with the giant moon in the middle? I swear when I went it had been converted in to a generic chair swing type ride.

Highlights from the latest newsletter.

Dreamland Trust said:
CALLING ALL CREATIVE MINDS

You may recall that end of last year we appointed HemingwayDesign to create the look, feel, sound, smell and taste of Dreamland - the world’s first amusement park of thrilling historic rides with a wide appeal that “reaches out” to those that understand and immerse themselves in heritage and British culture, that stimulates lovers of the arts and design as well as families who just want a great day out with multi-generational appeal.

Dreamland will be a world class events venue that becomes the natural home in Britain for events
and festivals that celebrate the history of popular British culture in terms of music, youth culture, film and design and the natural location choice for media, film and TV to cover these themes.

It will be a visual and sensual delight that has clearly been delivered by creative thinkers and designers and touched in every way and in every nook and cranny by the hands of artists and artisans. Every attraction, cafe, events space, component will have had creative input. The aim is that every aspect becomes a photo opportunity and a digital marketing tool.

To find out more and how you can be part of this extraordinary project come and meet the HemingwayDesign and The Dreamland Trust teams at 6pm on Wednesday 17 April 2013 in the Foyle Room, Turner Contemporary, Rendezvous, Margate CT9 1HG. Wayne Hemingway will present the initial ideas and there will be an open forum and the opportunity to talk to the teams about getting involved.

Email me at [email protected] to register and reserve your place.

PROJECT UP-DATE

The CPO hearing will be held on 20 and 21 March 2013 at the Royal Courts of Justice in London. A decision is expected soon after the hearing and we will let you all know of the outcome as soon as it is released. You can follow the hearing on twitter next week at twitter@dreamlandtrust or
twitter@thanetcouncil.

Spotted by LG95 on CF. :)

Thanet District Council said:
High Court Dismisses Appeal

Plans to open Dreamland in Margate as a major seaside attraction are back on track for Thanet District Council and The Dreamland Trust following a High Court ruling today (Thursday 2 May).

Judge Sycamore comprehensively dismissed a legal challenge over the decision to grant the council ownership of the site.

The council originally received approval from the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government for the compulsory purchase of the site in August 2012. Current owners, Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company, then launched an appeal which challenged this decision.

Following the successful High Court ruling, the council will now work to secure title to the land, which it must acquire before access to the site can be granted and work can proceed.

Once title is secured, a funding package will open up to help deliver the project.

The council is working in partnership with The Dreamland Trust to regenerate the site to create the world’s first amusement park of thrilling historic rides, classic side shows, vintage cafés, restaurants and gardens.

The project will also celebrate the British seaside and popular culture. It is a major part of Margate’s regeneration programme, creating volunteer, learning, training and employment opportunities for the local community.

Thanet District Council Chief Executive, Sue McGonigal, said: “Today’s ruling from the High Court comes as very welcome news. We now have a clear mandate to progress with our plans to deliver a brand new and unique visitor attraction for the South East. With overwhelming public support, and the vital funds in place, there has been no doubt about our commitment to see this project through. Getting to this point has certainly been frustrating, especially with the site left vacant and unused for a significant amount of time. Our focus now will be to progress with plans to dramatically regenerate Dreamland and I look forward to seeing the potential benefits this will bring to Margate.”

Chairman of The Dreamland Trust, Nick Laister, said: “The Dreamland Trust was confident that the Secretary of State had made the right decision for the future of the Dreamland Margate site and we are delighted that this decision has been found to be a sound one. The residents and businesses of Thanet have waited too long to see this important tourism site come back to life, and this decision means that we should be able to finally make a start. We look forward to working with our partners Thanet District Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund in implementing the world’s first amusement park of thrilling historic rides.”

What delightful news! A step closer towards that golden day when access to the site is finally granted and the work on the Scenic can begin before it's too late. :)

This really is a fantastic project and a fantastic idea.

Congratulations to all those who have supported this, posted about it, campaigned on it's behalf.

With the right attitude and commitment, there is no reason this cannot become one of Britain's best attractions. A world of vintage and classic coasters/rides/attractions in a very British seaside way?

Brilliant.

DiogoJ42 said:
YEAAAAHHHH! Suck on that, NIMBYs!

What are you talking about? There were no NIMBYs and the Dreamland Project has had almost universal support of the people of Margate, even those that live near to the site.

The only reason there was significant opposition to the project was because the owners of the land wanted a private housing estate built on the site which would cost less and get more immediate profit for them.

Anyway, this is fantastic news! Fantastic for the people of Margate, fantastic for theme park enthusiasts, fantastic for history and heritage fans, fantastic for families, fantastic for the people of Kent, and fantastic for myself who has many fond memories from my early childhood, and whose first coaster ever was Margate's Scenic Railway!

Finally, some good news for the UK Theme Park industry! :D

just got to see margate in 1989 in the only fools an horses jolly boys outing episode

HELLO!

Someone involved in the Dreamland project passed this facebook page onto me for anyone interested

I am not on Facebook really, it is Basil the cat who LOVES climbing all over it :)

https://www.facebook.com/DreamlandBasil?fref=ts

They have their own Ripsaw!

392930_358054347637046_1578025013_n.jpg

CUTE!

Has other info there too :)

Not sure if this has been posted but just been given this too (probably has, just in case though):

http://www.savedreamland.co.uk/