Dreamland Margate: General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Sam, 29th Jul 2012.

1. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Bit of speedy back-story first. Dreamland closed in 2005. The Scenic Railway was listed Grade II in 2002, and was upgraded to Grade II* in 2011. This means it can't be knocked down, basically. Unfortunately, 25% of it was destroyed in a fire in 2008. Since then, a Thanet Council have wanted the site to be handed over to the Dreamland Trust, who plan on building a heritage theme park on it, and restoring Dreamland to its former glory.

Unfortunately, the current owners don't want to give it up easily, and the council had to launch a Compulsory Purchase Order, which held a public hearing earlier this year. The result of the CPO is expected in the next few months. Realising they had no hope as it was, the current owners revised their plans for the site to include a mix of housing and heritage, keeping the Scenic but little else.

To bring us up to date, here is an ITV News video story about the current owners revised plans to try and keep their greedy hands on Dreamland. Spotted by Martyn B on CF.

Very worrying stuff. Keep your fingers crossed for the council and the Save Dreamland trust.

Posted 29th Jul 2012
  2. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Sad news indeed, though TBH, I had given up on this project ever happening years ago :(

Posted 29th Jul 2012
  3. MiserableMonkey

MiserableMonkey TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    X2
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfEf5toNXi4[/youtube]

Wow! How up-his-own-backside is this guy?! I'd love to see his plans fail just for his lack of morals! :(

Posted 5th Aug 2012
  4. Thomas

Thomas TowersStreet Member

I recently took a trip to Margate, I know I'm an enthusiast, but in my eyes Margate needs an amusement park. All of the surrounding shops were either charity shops, boarded up or large chain stores which themselves face an uncertain future. A vintage Amusement park would provide jobs and a much needed development catalyst. Housing in my eyes certainly wouldn't suit the area, bring jobs or even benefit the community. Only the developers would benefit from large profits from the housing built.

I just wish they'd get this off the ground sooner rather than later.

Posted 6th Aug 2012
  5. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

According to the August edition of the Save Dreamland newsletter, the "Urgent Works to the Grade 2* Listed Cinema Building are now near completion (later this month)" and the group are expecting the decision on the CPO sometime this month. :)

Posted 6th Aug 2012
  6. Tom

Tom TowersStreet Member

I re
    I realise that this may reinforce a view that some people already have of me, but I don't find that man to be particularly arrogant?

Posted 6th Aug 2012
  7. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

At least if they don't win the CPO they can claim the World's Longest Sentence record...

Posted 15th Aug 2012
  8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Posted 17th Aug 2012
  9. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

YES!

I'm over the moon, I really am. :D

Tweets from DreamlandLive only make it more delicious:

"We are very disappointed with today's outcome from TDC. We're convinced our plan is the only viable, sustainable way forward for #Dreamland"

"#Dreamland #Margate needs the right mix of entertainment space funded by much-needed quality housing. This is key to the area’s regeneration"

"We’ll be assessing the details of TDC’s #Dreamland report with our legal team in the coming weeks and responding more fully in due course"

Now get 'orf our property! :D

Posted 17th Aug 2012
  10. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Black Hole
    Well, it's taken quite sometime for them, but good things come to those who wait! ;D

11. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    Margate's Dreamland compulsory purchase order approved

12. WillPS

WillPS TowersStreet Member

Right of appeal or owt like that?

Good stuff anyway. Noticed the date has slipped back again to 2014.

13. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

More information here. :)

[​IMG]

If this has the visuals of their other projects, I can definitely see it instantly becoming the world's most stylish, tasteful and trendy park. :D

Posted 9th Nov 2012
  14. Adam James

Adam James TS Contributor

Favourite Ride:
    Blue Fire
    If there are no fountains, I will be sorely disappointed. :'(

Posted 9th Nov 2012
  15. Thomas

Thomas TowersStreet Member

This looks like it's going to be great. It's odd to see Camelot close as these guys start up, but as they say every cloud has a silver lining.

Posted 9th Nov 2012
  16. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Highlights from the new Dreamland Trust newsletter:

If you're not already signed up, it's well worth being on the monthly newsletter mailing list.

I can't see it mentioned anywhere on their site, so dash them off an e-mail at [email protected] :)

17. Lordy

Lordy TowersStreet Member

I am so excited for this, but the appeal is always going to be in the back of my mind...

18. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

From December's Dreamland Trust newsletter:

Japanese Knotweed for the LOSS! It seems like they can't start major reconstruction work on the Scenic until the judicial review by Dreamland Live has been denied, which worries me a lot, but it's good to see them doing little bits and pieces. Hopefully the Scenic will be beautiful again, and not look how it did when I rode it in 2005.

[​IMG]

Posted 2nd Dec 2012
  19. BigAl

BigAl TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    An article from the Guardian regarding the fate of the park being decided any day now can be viewed here.

:)

20. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

sparky2u has posted this on CF, I haven't had my newsletter come through yet for some reason:

DREAMLAND APPEAL - COURT DATE SET
    On Thursday 20 December Thanet District Council was successful in its application to have the Dreamland Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) appeal prioritised.

A two day hearing will now take place on Wednesday 20 and Thursday 21 March 2013.

If the appeal by the landowners is unsuccessful, Thanet District Council will immediately begin the process of acquiring ownership of the site.

The council received approval from the Secretary of State for the Compulsory Purchase of the site in August 2012, following a public inquiry. The landowners then challenged the decision by the Secretary of State.

Thanet District Council is working in partnership with the Dreamland Trust to create a world first for the site, an amusement park of thrilling historic rides, with classic sideshows, vintage cafes, restaurants, and gardens with special events and festivals.

brynthellama likes this.