• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Truth be told it needs gutting and starting again. But doing properly, it’s a wonderful building so they need to do to it justice. Some sort of interactive ghostbusters/ghost hunter style ride would be ideal

The ride system needs work with its control systems but it’s still in a good state and Towers won’t likely afford an equivalent quality transit system.

I suspect if anything happens to Duel it will be a full re theme and system upgrade rather than a complete gutting.

The ride system needs work with its control systems but it’s still in a good state and Towers won’t likely afford an equivalent quality transit system.

I suspect if anything happens to Duel it will be a full re theme and system upgrade rather than a complete gutting.

that’s the issue - it will be half arsed in traditional Merlin style

that’s the issue - it will be half arsed in traditional Merlin style

Im not saying you are wrong to be sceptical and you probably won’t be but there is no reason it has to be.

As far as the ride system goes it’s just a transit system (a very efficient and clever one for it’s day). The outer shell of the car is easily replaceable so re-theming them is not hard. Potentially done right keeping the ride system gives you more budget on the theming which in a dark ride is really the soul of the ride anyway.

I suspect however they would just save the money, do a naff re theme and be done.

Ghostbusters still seems like a really obvious low capex overlay, with a brand that is already in use by Merlin

very true - I can see it happening.

Im not saying you are wrong to be sceptical and you probably won’t be but there is no reason it has to be.

As far as the ride system goes it’s just a transit system (a very efficient and clever one for it’s day). The outer shell of the car is easily replaceable so re-theming them is not hard. Potentially done right keeping the ride system gives you more budget on the theming which in a dark ride is really the soul of the ride anyway.

I suspect however they would just save the money, do a naff re theme and be done.

For me it will need £10-£15m spending on it to make it a worthwhile investment - that’s even with the current building / ride system

TV screens with Ghostbusters on. I can't think of anything worse. That keeps cropping up again and again. Everyone does know the original Ghostbusters films were comedies right? Awful fit for a haunted house.

It doesn't need a £multimillion trackless system, it doesn't need TV screens accompanied by an expensive gimmicky IP and it doesn't need some strange nostalgia filled reimplementation of the Haunted House. Just sort the god awful lighting out with reimagined scenes and effects in places. Possibly also accompanied by a rebrand. That'll do me.

TV screens with Ghostbusters on. I can't think of anything worse. That keeps cropping up again and again. Everyone does know the original Ghostbusters films were comedies right? Awful fit for a haunted house.

It doesn't need a £multimillion trackless system, it doesn't need TV screens accompanied by an expensive gimmicky IP and it doesn't need some strange nostalgia filled reimplementation of the Haunted House. Just sort the god awful lighting out with reimagined scenes and effects in places. Possibly also accompanied by a rebrand. That'll do me.
Whilst your right it’s not gonna happen

your best bet is for an immersive IP I’m afraid - either that or just scrap the whole area

id love a Roman or Egyptian area

I'm not saying that replacing Duel with a naff screen based IP ride isn't inevitable. We all know it's most likely. I just don't understand the actual desire to have a Ghostbusters ride inside a Haunted House?

And I actually LIKE Ghostbusters. Banging a Ghostbusters IP in there is little different to putting Gangsta Granny in there as far as I'm concerned. They may as well give up on a haunted house altogether and just start the whole thing again of they're going to slap a GB IP on it.

Are you saying the later ones aren't?:D:p
Badly worded from me there, I meant the series has its roots in comedy I suppose (although I haven't watched Afterlife yet, going to see it this week). Used to be a big fan as a kid in the 80's. Many summer holidays spent playing with my toy Ecto 1 and watching the movies and animated series relentlessly round my grans. Before moving on to my Turtles phase. Never got my toy Technorome for Christmas.

Badly worded from me there, I meant the series has its roots in comedy I suppose (although I haven't watched Afterlife yet, going to see it this week). Used to be a big fan as a kid in the 80's. Many summer holidays spent playing with my toy Ecto 1 and watching the movies and animated series relentlessly round my grans. Before moving on to my Turtles phase. Never got my toy Technorome for Christmas.
I love the 1st film, was the first thing I bought on VHS!! Never got on with the cartoon version and not watched the 2016 one, the trailer put me off! And I'm currently building the Ecto-1 in the Eaglemoss part-work series

I love the 1st film, was the first thing I bought on VHS!! Never got on with the cartoon version and not watched the 2016 one, the trailer put me off! And I'm currently building the Ecto-1 in the Eaglemoss part-work series
I've heard a lot of people say that about the 2016 trailer. It does look like a god awful cash in of a movie but it's honestly not too bad. It is written in a similar style to the originals and can be quite entertaining if viewed as such.

The all-female Ghostbusters I think is a pretty good comedy, especially if you like other films with Melissa McCarthy.
I particularly love Chris Hemsworth as the airhead secretary.

If you don't enjoy other comedies with her (such as Bridesmaids) then you probably wouldn't want to watch Ghostbusters either.

Right, just watched Theme Park Worldwides latest Vlog at Alton Towers, with them showing the amazing Lightopia, and it seems down in Gloomy woods that Duels exterior coffin seems to be covered up in glowing flowers. Possibly to hide any construction inside it potentially?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.