• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Right I have got a bit of a random question why does everyone think that a trackless ride system is what should replace duel or in fact most old dark rides?
What are the actual benefits of running a trackless system?
Surely it would be easier for the park to have a tracked system which would allow them to spend more money on actually theming the ride rather than buying the ride system?

Right I have got a bit of a random question why does everyone think that a trackless ride system is what should replace duel or in fact most old dark rides?
What are the actual benefits of running a trackless system?
Surely it would be easier for the park to have a tracked system which would allow them to spend more money on actually theming the ride rather than buying the ride system?

Because "new is better?"

What's wrong with a tracked Dark Ride? It makes you look around and appreciate the detail. On a trackless dark ride, you have a really immersive scene in front of you, but out of view, where the car isn't facing, its just a bland wall. It's practically telling you where to look and where not to look, where's the fun in that?

Last edited:
Because "new is better?"

What's wrong with a tracked Dark Ride? It makes you look around and appreciate the detail. On a trackless dark ride, you have a really immersive scene in front of you, but put of view, where the car isn't facing, its just a bland wall. It's practically telling you where to look and where not to look, where's the fun in that?
but you could achieve the same thing with spinning cars on a tracked ride no?

True. But they're very uncommon when comparing A standard Tracked Dark Ride to a standard Trackless Dark Ride.

Do you mean the Omnimover?

True. But they're very uncommon when comparing A standard Tracked Dark Ride to a standard Trackless Dark Ride.

Do you mean the Omnimover?
No, I think the same thing could be achieved for a lower cost with a tracked ride system and it would be just as good. I really don't see the point in trackless ride systems. Perhaps I'm being a little naïve?
I think they only really make sense for parks with lots of different dark rides so that it can be differentiated from others.

Cheers for the answers guys :)

Hate to be annoying, but I just wanted to know if is it common for the trommel eyes to be working with the eyes red and rolling?

I can't imagine a theme park Without a Ghost Train.

Same here.

As someone who doesn't work in or is not connected to the theme park industry in any way, I would find it to be a massive, gaping "hole" in the park in my opinion.

I can understand enthusiasts' wishing to hold Merlin's feet to the fire to see an improvement, but this glass half empty just gets a little...dispiriting?

It's nice to see Trooper Looper and Matt N and other posters' constructive suggestions though.

Last edited:
Same here.

As someone who doesn't work in or is not connected to the theme park industry in any way, I would find it to be a massive, gaping "hole" in the park in my opinion.

I can understand enthusiasts' wishing to hold Merlin's feet to the fire to see an improvement, but this glass half empty just gets a little...dispiriting?

It's nice to see Trooper Looper and Matt N and other posters' constructive suggestions though.

Appreciate for the compliment mate :)

I understand why people want another Roller Coaster or a completely new up to date dark ride, trust me, I do. I'd be full on it if it weren't replacing an overlooked unique classic, well, what's left of it at the moment.

We have many trackless ghost trains, we have many Disney Haunted Mansions, but there's only one Duel/Haunted House. You can't find it's type anywhere else in the world. It's props, theming, tone, and ride system alone stick out like a sore thumb compared to any dark ride I know of.

People may not miss it now, but if we don't show enough love to this old attraction before it bites the IP dust, there goes a one of a kind dark ride, that has a lot of important history to it as well. It practically brought alton towers into what it is today. Without Katanga Canyon or The Haunted House, Alton Towers would be a lot different today.

Last edited:
People may not miss it now, but if we don't show enough love to this old attraction before it bites the IP dust, there goes a one of a kind dark ride, that has a lot of important history to it as well. It practically brought alton towers into what it is today. Without Catanga Canyon or The Haunted House, Alton Towers would be a lot different today.

Agreed [again]. :)

Park would be much diminished without it.

Sorry for the double post, but I've only now noticed this, not sure if anyone else has interestongly. But the Grand Hall Demon has seemed to have a few light alterations last year.

Image from 2019
Screenshot-20220130-095748-You-Tube.jpg

And here's the new lighting change taken from late 2021

Screenshot-20220128-194256-You-Tube.jpg

Only now I've noticed this, but the lighting looks awfully similar to its original 1992 lighting.

Screenshot-20220130-095313-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20220128-194317-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshots taken from Ride Review, British theme Park Archice, Planlt Park, and ThemeParkArchives.

Probably done by the ride operator for Nostalgias sake, but who knows why they did this?

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.