• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I can't believe anyone is seriously suggesting a possible return of HH or anything similar. Wanting something to happen and predicting something will happen are 2 different things. I can see no reason, be it by past track record or just common business sense, why this would happen. Minimal effort for maximum return are what they will be looking for and that points to TV screens and an IP to me. As sad as that is of course. There's no "rumours" as they've been described of HH returning at all.

That first one, when I checked it out, it had some 'uncensored' and inappropriate elements to it. Might wanna crop it and replace it with a different version only including the HH.
Apologies, I'd only watched the AT section and didn't look at the earlier part of the video, I'd just assumed it was more of the same. I've taken it off the post now.

Someone has posted some stills of the most interesting part of the Haunted House section on Flickr here

I can't believe anyone is seriously suggesting a possible return of HH or anything similar. Wanting something to happen and predicting something will happen are 2 different things. I can see no reason, be it by past track record or just common business sense, why this would happen. Minimal effort for maximum return are what they will be looking for and that points to TV screens and an IP to me. As sad as that is of course. There's no "rumours" as they've been described of HH returning at all.
Time, as always, will tell mate.
But I may well be quoting this one back to you next year!
Lots of people are suggesting it.
Just because you can see no reason, I can see lots of them.
The actual ride is in desperate need of a makeover.
A quality redo will be loads cheaper than a new ride of the same scale.
And again, sorry, there have been rather a lot of rumours about the ride, 64 pages of them, we are up to post 1264!

Last edited:
Time, as always, will tell mate.
But I may well be quoting this one back to you next year!
Lots of people are suggesting it.
Just because you can see no reason, I can see lots of them.
The actual ride is in desperate need of a makeover.
A quality redo will be loads cheaper than a new ride of the same scale.
And again, sorry, there have been rather a lot of rumours about the ride, 64 pages of them, we are up to post 1264!
Don't forget that JW was supposedly spotted as well in Duel multiple times during the last couple months.

Just out of curiosity, what are the rumours that’s happening to it? Ive obviously seen others saying “rumours” but don’t actually know what’s supposed to be being done!

Nobody knows......

They will stick a ghostbusters sign on the front ..... done
Wouldn’t put it past them 😂
But ah ok I just wasn’t sure if the rumours were more “it’s getting refurbed” or “it’s being changed to this”, etc

I don't think that's a given. It really depends on how the trommel was built and what is wrong with it.

You've got to imagine they would avoid doing anything involving cranes unless they absolutely have to.
Remember that the trommel was installed before the cladding was added to the building as it's so big and heavy, so if they needed to remove it they would have to take part of the roof off and crane it out.

Where has this idea of the roof coming off started ? The Trommel is immediately adjacent to the edge of the ride building, the whole thing could be removed laterally by taking out some of the sheet wall along the side of the building.

Where has this idea of the roof coming off started ? The Trommel is immediately adjacent to the edge of the ride building, the whole thing could be removed laterally by taking out some of the sheet wall along the side of the building.
That's a good point, I'd not thought of that!

Just out of curiosity, what are the rumours that’s happening to it? Ive obviously seen others saying “rumours” but don’t actually know what’s supposed to be being done!
I haven’t heard any rumours actually specifying what is being done.

My prediction is that it will be a retheme as opposed to a conversion back to HH, but I’m open to surprises.

We decided to visit AT today(instead of Mingo tomorrow), Now i've been critical of Duel on here but today we actually had a good ride on Duel. For the first time in ages most of it seemed to be working(No Emily & Snowy though) It was really enjoyable and a surprise to even myself, there seemed to be more effects working than on our previous visits this year, all guns were working, better audio too....and it didn't break down whilst riding it.

So hats off to Duel, there's a decent ride still to be had.

We decided to visit AT today(instead of Mingo tomorrow), Now i've been critical of Duel on here but today we actually had a good ride on Duel. For the first time in ages most of it seemed to be working(No Emily & Snowy though) It was really enjoyable and a surprise to even myself, there seemed to be more effects working than on our previous visits this year, all guns were working, better audio too....and it didn't break down whilst riding it.

So hats off to Duel, there's a decent ride still to be had.
Perhaps nothing at all is happening then apart from some minor repairs, and we’ve all been made to look like right fools on this forum. 😂

That won’t happen. John worked as a film and theatre designer before moving into theme parks as 35 years ago Chessington and Alton Towers were the first theme parks in the UK.
Now being a “theme park designer” is seen as a career choice in itself, but without that film background things are not approached in the same way.
It’s broadly the same with Disney, originally the Imagineers had worked with Walt as animators, nowadays the Imagineers are coming straight into theme park design.

There are some people in Merlin Magic Making who are the main “designers” now but they’ve learnt their skills working in Merlin generally. People like John Burton who was heavily involved in Jumanji at Gardaland are probably the key people in MMM for resort theme park design.

I didn’t necessarily mean a Wardley replacement in the sense of the same influences and responsibilities for the project.

Rather that they should be looking for the next great creative minds rather than trying to recreate something designed by someone 30 years ago.

I’m not as discontent with Merlin’s execution of dark rides as I sometimes suggest, although NST and DBGT were ultimately failures, there was a decent idea there for both of them and you feel that if they were to work on their development and source the right investment they’d eventually get it right.

It’s just a shame that what they tend to do with this sort of project is basically a hybrid and you end up with the worst of everything because they won’t commit the money or resource to doing it justice.

I sound like a broken record but this country is crying out for some world class dark rides and whilst I appreciate that we can’t compete with Disney and Universal in terms of budget you’d like to think it would be that kind of immersion that would be the inspiration for future rides.

Perhaps nothing at all is happening then apart from some minor repairs, and we’ve all been made to look like right fools on this forum.
Well this is a possibility. Personally I see a "retheme" but reusing as many current assets as possible.

To bring this topic back to life, been thinking about what might be changed for the overall experience. Knowing how Towers can throw in little Easter eggs around the place, I have been thinking if Duel was to have little in jokes for the enthusiasts, I have just thought of something that would be a major Easter egg for the park's history but perhaps the most terrifying thing that many from a certain age will know who I'm talking about...
luq98g863aw61.jpg

Yes, having that demon from Hell on the new version of Duel/HH would increase the scare factor far more than many of Merlin's 'scary' attractions in recent years.

The thought of that thing lying around in the Towers Boneyard awaiting to be reuse gives me the creeps. Give it some horror TLC theming and oh God the less said the better! :eek:

To bring this topic back to life, been thinking about what might be changed for the overall experience. Knowing how Towers can throw in little Easter eggs around the place, I have been thinking if Duel was to have little in jokes for the enthusiasts, I have just thought of something that would be a major Easter egg for the park's history but perhaps the most terrifying thing that many from a certain age will know who I'm talking about...
luq98g863aw61.jpg

Yes, having that demon from Hell on the new version of Duel/HH would increase the scare factor far more than many of Merlin's 'scary' attractions in recent years.

The thought of that thing lying around in the Towers Boneyard awaiting to be reuse gives me the creeps. Give it some horror TLC theming and oh God the less said the better! :eek:
I thought it (even more creepily) was still in situ in the tunnel as it wasn’t removed when Wickerman was built?

I thought it (even more creepily) was still in situ in the tunnel as it wasn’t removed when Wickerman was built?
You mean it's still there out in the woods to this day?! Spare a thought for the poor guy who will have to go inside and see it up close or some urban explorer finding it in the dead of night...brrr!

If Merlin or Towers read these forums and still have that damn duck around, I fear I might have given them an evil thought of moving it to Duel...suppose to would be scarier than the zombies with blasters TBH.

We all know how Merlin like an IP but the only viable ones I can think of going in here are;

Adams Family
Hotel Transylvania
Ghost Busters
Or Jumanji - this being extended of Katanga and getting rid of Gloomy Wood and merging it into one area.

I think they’ll keep the current layout of the track and just refurb the cars and update the rides console.

I’ve often thought a Stranger Things IP would be good, but there’s only 1 season left and I’m not sure of the longevity. Cough…Charlie….

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.