• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Efteling - August 2024 Trip Report

Bowser

TS Member
So we just got home from 3 days at Efteling for the first time ever. I was going to do a trip report but i didn't take many photos (apart from some family shots) so i think reams of text might be a bit dull and will instead try to condense my thoughts! I may fail...

In short though, this is easily the best theme park we've ever been to! I thought Plopsaland was great but this was next level.

The Rides

- Every ride here is great! Literally everything we went on was brilliant even when they were simply better versions of rides we have been on elsewhere.
- The 4D cinema is lovely. The effects are less aggressive than say Lego Cinema but the wonderful pre-show cave room, gigantic main screen and the secret element take it to the next level. Not only that but you exit into an insane restaurant that has an entirely themed childrens play area.
- Next we went on Symbolica. What is this witchcraft! Our first trackless dark ride, it's beyond spectacular from the magically themed exterior, the pre-show to the ride itself. The option to pick your route and encourage re-rides is great too, a running theme in the park.
- After that was Vogel Rok, which instantly became my sons favourite ride ever and we went on perhaps 7 times over the trip. Seems crazy the UK has nothing comparable, especially when we used to have several.
- Carnival was probably the weakest ride. Still nice enough but somewhat dated compared to other things in the park.
- The pirate ship on the other hand was great, the size of it!
- How is Python 43 years old and smoother than any coaster i've been on in the UK? Even my non thoosie wife couldn't believe she could go on any ride at the park, especially that and not get a headache. And the fact you keep your bags on the ride too!
- Joris was great, we only did one side so not sure if there's much difference between them?
- The highlight of the trip was The Flying Dutchman. Because of the way we walked round the park, my wife and son didn't see what the ride actually was, so just thought it was a themed boat ride. Their surprise was equivalent to ones first ride on Thirteen! The whole atmosphere of it was amazing.
- Max and Moritz was an excellent powered coaster. The way it does the second lap faster absolutely delighted my son so we did both sides on that one.
- Pagoda was a good change of pace. Great how it does a full cycle so everyone gets a chance to view from all sides. Every detail catered for, very much the motto of the park.
- Dreamflight was brilliant too. The setpieces are amazing and then the fast descent was a nice surprise.
- Sadly my son was 3cm too short for Baron.... but after a disastrous first nights sleep (or lack of) he was crashing by 8pm on day 2 so my wife took him to bed and i ran back for a sunset ride on my own! My first ever Dive coaster and it was brilliant. The pre-show reminded me of Wickerman but the whole presentation of it was incredible. The drop itself was really fun, much more pleasant than the beyond vertical drops i've experienced.

The Park

- Such a beautiful park. Just endless flawless unique theming everywhere, it's incomparable and my words can't do it justice.
- We never queued more than 25 minutes for anything to my knowledge. The way the majority of the rides are built so that there are pre-shows and interesting theming is pure genius. The operations for everything were excellent too. A few times rides went down but they were always up again in very short order. Even when we saw a ride was down on the app, i figured it would be fixed by the time we got there and lo and behold it was.
- Real food! In a theme park!!! Will wonders never cease? Yes there's plenty of burgers and hot dogs and donuts but there's also freshly cooked pasta, massive salad bars, fruit smoothies and more! And food establishments absolutely everywhere. And seating! And staff! Staff everywhere! This is how to run a theme park.

Accommodation

- We stayed in the Bosrijk village and it was so good. Like Center Parcs but multiple times better. Nicer buildings, nicer surroundings, a fun if very crowded free swimming pool. Our house backed onto a lake where we could see the sandmans house and then the ducks would come over to us which my son loved.
- Being able to walk to and from the park was a dream come true. It meant on the difficult sleep deprived second day we could pop back for a rest then return to the park for the fountains and some food.

Conclusion

I'll wrap it up there. I'm sure i'm forgetting things (like the fairytale village i've just realised) but i want to talk and gush over Efteling forever, it truly was magical and we will almost certainly be back next year!

I’m so glad you loved it @Bowser! Between Efteling and Plopsaland, it sounds like you and your son are rattling your way through these mainland European parks! Where on the continent is in your sights next?

With regard to how Python is so smooth at 43 years old; I hate to burst your bubble, but it was completely retracked 6 years ago using new smoother track curving techniques, which would probably explain why it’s a lot smoother than you’d expect for a 43 year old Vekoma looper.

I’ve never been to Efteling myself. Some of the dark rides and theming look brilliant, but I’m never entirely certain that it would appeal to me. Your glowing review, along with those of others, suggests that I should definitely go and check it out at some point, though!

I’m so glad you loved it @Bowser! Between Efteling and Plopsaland, it sounds like you and your son are rattling your way through these mainland European parks! Where on the continent is in your sights next?

With regard to how Python is so smooth at 43 years old; I hate to burst your bubble, but it was completely retracked 6 years ago using new smoother track curving techniques, which would probably explain why it’s a lot smoother than you’d expect for a 43 year old Vekoma looper.

I’ve never been to Efteling myself. Some of the dark rides and theming look brilliant, but I’m never entirely certain that it would appeal to me. Your glowing review, along with those of others, suggests that I should definitely go and check it out at some point, though!

Haha no bubble burst, that makes a lot more sense! I knew the trains/restraints were new. Do Vekoma have any affiliation with the park as i noticed a lot of rides were manufactured by them and obviously they are both Dutch?

There's nothing world beating at Efteling in terms of thrills but there are still at least 5 very good rollercoasters imo amongst other things, most of which have top class theming. And it's just generally a wonderful park to be in at all times. How do you feel about Paultons? I would say it's almost like a cross between there and AT for UK points of reference, in terms of you can feel the love and effort put into the place whilst the location is beautiful and there are some incredible attractions but it's definitely a "family" park. The attention to detail on everything at Efteling though, i've not encountered that anywhere else in recent memory. Definitely putting the THEME in park, it's what i imagine John Wardley would consider a perfect example of the genre.

Also we did miss a few rides plus they have Danse Macabre opening soon so you're spoilt for choice really.

As for next., well previously my son used to love dark rides but sadly this trip he seemed notably less interested in them. I'd always wanted to take him to DLP prior to this and part of me felt like that ship has sailed.

But... with Vogel Rok now being his favourite ride, i think Space Mountain and The Avengers would be perfect for him! So if i can figure out some complicated logistics i'm hoping we can get there perhaps later this year or next Spring.

Then after that Europa is the big goal once he reaches 1.3m, it ticks so many boxes for him but again the logistics are going to be very tricky. Perhaps we can organise a TS group charter flight 😂

Sounds like you had a great time!

Need to visit again after Danse Macabre opens, never done Winter Efteling so hopefully kill two birds with one stone (plus max & moritz), and for free with my BPB season pass!

Love Efteling, think it's the park when people tell me they've been to Euro Disney with young kids it'll always be the one I suggest to them if they want to try another park. Actually did it again this week when my barber mentioned she'd been to Disney World this summer and regularly visits DLP. She'd heard of it as well so clearly more and more people in the UK are visiting, pops up on Instagram reels all the time as well with people selling it as a cheaper DLP alternative.

She'd heard of it as well so clearly more and more people in the UK are visiting, pops up on Instagram reels all the time as well with people selling it as a cheaper DLP alternative.

Yeah there were a good amount of English speakers there. Almost want to keep it a secret! I guess the location will always make it somewhat prohibitive.

Winter sounds interesting though I imagine the size of the park would make it quite challenging if the weather was poor.