• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Efteling: General Discussion

But yes I noticed that about the brick layers as well, can't beat it when theming is actually really building materials!

:)

It tends to age appropriately as well. Gains charm and character if it's well maintained. I do agree with you about not having a "stand out coaster" thrill wise, but I have to say, with the addition of this I think the balance of enough good coasters and over all experience tilts the balance in it's favour.

It would be nice to get something wow there, but it would be extremely difficult to do I think and not interrupt the parks feel from what I can tell without having actually been.

Perhaps a place you go more to relax, and experience the ambiance with some bonus coasters, rather than going principally for the coasters. Nothing wrong with that I don't think.

As an out and out coaster seeker though, I appreciate the point you make.

Reactions: Rob
Joris and DvH are both (or all three if you're feeling pedantic) great coasters that are worth the visit! If people go out of their way for mEhGF, then Efteling should be do-able too!

This looks like it's going to be a fun coaster with some amazing theming and good interaction with the scenery. I really like the track colour as well, not so much the name though :p

If you've been to Plopsa Rob, then surely your argument is floored :p

Plopsa has 1 standout coaster and so does Efteling.

Difference being Efteling have lots of other quality stuff too.

Efteling is one of the best all round parks in Europe and is one of very few that actually feels Disney in scale as you enter.

Each of their dark rides also feels like something of an institution. It's hard to explain...

Reactions: Dar
Oh my point can easily be proven to be flawed by parks I've been to! I have no doubts Efteling is a brilliant park but it has never quite fitted into any European trips I've done (i.e. not been passing it with the timed in hand needed to visit). And for some reason it's just never had enough to make me want to centre a trip around it. I certainly aim to get to Efteling by the end of 2016 as I do think I'll really like the park.

Last edited:
Indeed.

That said, Efteling does lack large rollercoasters. They also suffer a fate we find here in Farley too - all of their rollercoasters are short (Joris, Bob, Python, Vogel Rok, Baron) when compared to other major parks in Europe (PortAventura, Europa-Park).

However... the park just has a grandeur that is pretty much unsurpassed by anyone else on the continent.

They also suffer a fate we find here in Farley too - all of their rollercoasters are short (Joris, Bob, Python, Vogel Rok, Baron) when compared to other major parks in Europe (PortAventura, Europa-Park).

Can I.... er.... The Smiler.

And to be fair, air isn't exactly hill twist loop finish.

I agree that the park lacks major thrills, but Joris is a wonderful ride, arguably more fun than Wodan, if not as intense.

Fata Morgana received the first of its new boats today.

heuiWtt.jpg

voDgaWh.jpg

6WP4N53.jpg

Very smart! More photos here. For comparison, the old boats:

YnsEOPG.jpg

Whilst it's always good to see parks investing in their existing rides, I'd say the boat is pretty much the only thing in the 'before' photo that didn't really need any improvements.

What's the difference?

They are new. I thought the colours were different but after your comment I think it's just shadows.

They seemed proud of the silver edging. I'd go with the fact it curves around. Maybe the old one was scratched a little?

I have no idea what this ride is but instead of doing up the current boats they've bought new but identical boats? Bizarre but if you can afford it then why not I suppose.

What's the difference?
The old ones were just worn out and had reached the natural end of their lifespan. According to Looopings, the newer boats have shallower steps making them easier to get in and out of. There apparently used to be gutters all over the floor on the old boats, but now there is just one running down the middle, as can be seen on this photo.

sy5UfDf.jpg

They've also got that piece of metal on the step for grip. Minor changes. :)

Let's just take a step back and realise that Efteling put a LIVE TIGER in the ride area (ok, it was probably closed off, but still)...

And adding new boats just because? Not a problem, better to replace them before they look really tatty...

I'm not criticising, I just couldn't quite see the difference and hadn't recalled them looking tatty on my last visit.

Great little doc about the refurb of the House of the Five Senses.

In other Efteling news, the Gondoletta is next in line for Efteling's major refurbishment program. It'll be closed from 09 March to 17 April 2015. They might be covering the currently open-air turntable.

Here's the 2015 Efteling refurb calendar - handy for planning trips around.