• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Efteling: General Discussion

So, more Efteling news afoot via Mr F.T. Ling's bestie Looopings.

After the bedrooms received a renovation in 2021, the Efteling Hotel will have the ground floor overhauled between January and April 2025. The plan is to make the ground floor reflect the 'floating castle' concept by resembling a base station.

This will include a new reception, gift shop, restaurant and central play area where younger visitors can pretend they're flying the castle.

Current iteration:

Concept Art:

1716382281338.png

1716382368723.png

1716382293839.png

Personally, considering the recent bland Bosrijk renovation, I'm not too optimistic about this overhaul. Sure, the new(ish) rooms are nice to stay in and have whimsical qualities but the concept art make the ground floor look like a business lounge. There's little character and all we get as an Efteling signifier is a Caro poster.

Last edited:
I agree it doesn’t look to be as whimsical as one might expect from Efteling. It’s also true that the current lobby has a very 1980s Spanish hotel feel - dodgy marble and lots of artex.

I’m not too upset to see that look go, but equally it could have been an opportunity to do something much more exciting than this.

If you want a hotel with an 80's feel, there'sa banger of one about a half hour walk down the road. If only I could remember the name of it. I've tried my best to forget that trip. (The hotel was fine though).

Keep attempting to visit this park without luck but am trying again and aiming for August.

My question is, historical queue time data seems to indicate that the park is relatively quiet midweek during July and August, particularly the final 2 weeks of August which seems unfathomable to me compared to our parks.

The only thing i can see is some Dutch schools go back mid August, which partially explains it though doesn't explain the general quietness during the summer.

Do these predictions and data seem accurate based on peoples experience?

I went last August fri 11th and sat 12th. Queues were fine and moved fast. Did use a few single rider lines but don’t remember anything particular long- 30-40 mins max for main queues, often waited a lot less than that. Park was open until 10pm each day. Got loads done and rerides over those two days without rushing and enjoying the park etc inc a quick break back at the onsite hotel each day.

Early entry for staying onsite was great as well. They let us stay on baron for three goes without getting off!

I went last August fri 11th and sat 12th. Queues were fine and moved fast. Did use a few single rider lines but don’t remember anything particular long- 30-40 mins max for main queues, often waited a lot less than that. Park was open until 10pm each day. Got loads done and rerides over those two days without rushing and enjoying the park etc inc a quick break back at the onsite hotel each day.

Early entry for staying onsite was great as well. They let us stay on baron for three goes without getting off!

Thanks! We'd be using the RAP system (though i've heard very mixed reports on that) but if a peak summer weekend is like that then bodes well hopefully!

Is the park similar to Europa in that they have good ops and ride choice which generally keeps queues down?

Is the park similar to Europa in that they have good ops and ride choice which generally keeps queues down?
Not as much as is the case with Europa - from our experience you can expect to queue longer at Efteling but queues do still move fast. I would say it is less about good operations at Efteling and more just there is a mainly high-capacity hardware.

On a different note, Looping are reporting that Raveleijn will close in January to be replaced with another Puy Du Fou attraction, opening in 2026. This time, however, a walk-through with no animals. It seems that it is the animal involvement that is the main motivating factor behind the closing of the show.

I have booked Efteling! Excited and terrified simultaneously. Will be seeking tips from the resident experts going forwards please.

We're staying in one of the woodland house things on site. I'm guessing there's not a supermarket or shop? Is there a town within walking distance if i needed to pop out?

There’s a small shop in Bosrijk, which is where it sounds like you’re staying.

Kaatsheuvel has a few supermarkets and they’re within walking distance of the park.

Keep attempting to visit this park without luck but am trying again and aiming for August.

My question is, historical queue time data seems to indicate that the park is relatively quiet midweek during July and August, particularly the final 2 weeks of August which seems unfathomable to me compared to our parks.

The only thing i can see is some Dutch schools go back mid August, which partially explains it though doesn't explain the general quietness during the summer.

Do these predictions and data seem accurate based on peoples experience?

The Southern region go back to school 18/8, the Central region 25/8 and the Northern region 1/9

Kaatsheuvel has an Albert Hijn which is one of the major Dutch super markets. Its maybe a 10 minute walk from the front gate. Last time I visited the hotel I stayed in was actually located above it, the hotel has a restaurant on the ground floor as well.

There’s a small shop in Bosrijk, which is where it sounds like you’re staying.

Kaatsheuvel has a few supermarkets and they’re within walking distance of the park.

It is indeed. Excellent, thanks!
The Southern region go back to school 18/8, the Central region 25/8 and the Northern region 1/9

Great, we're going the week of 25/8 so hopefully that helps. The Efteling calendar suggested "medium" busy too, though the park is still open till 9pm.

That's fine, my son will only really want to go on rides mostly.
I will say if you focus only on the rides you will be missing IMO alot of what makes Efteling special. They have no amazing ride hardware at all, take some time to explore the Fairy Tale Forest (Sprookjesbos), Laafland and the park in general.

If you are used to RAP in the UK you may well be "disappointed" with Efteling's version, its just to enable easy access and most of the time you can expect to wait as long as the main queue line. But because of this and the complete lack of any fast track offering all the queues in the park move constantly making the main queues a much more pleasant experience than any UK park or the likes of Disney.

We stayed in Kaatsheuvel. There was a lovely town square with a couple of bars/restaurants from what I can remember.

I will say if you focus only on the rides you will be missing IMO alot of what makes Efteling special. They have no amazing ride hardware at all, take some time to explore the Fairy Tale Forest (Sprookjesbos), Laafland and the park in general.

If you are used to RAP in the UK you may well be "disappointed" with Efteling's version, its just to enable easy access and most of the time you can expect to wait as long as the main queue line. But because of this and the complete lack of any fast track offering all the queues in the park move constantly making the main queues a much more pleasant experience than any UK park or the likes of Disney.

Thanks, I actually just asked about this in the RAP thread a moment ago but you’ve pretty much covered it!

And noted on the exploration aspect. Going to try and get flights so we have 2 full days and can take our time. My son loves dark rides and family coasters though so I do think the offerings will top what he has experienced in the UK. An indoor coaster is going to blow his mind.