• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Euro 2020

I love England internationals despite seeing myself as British rather than English. But I must say I felt embarrassed last night. The booing of the Danish National Anthem was just plain rude and unsporting. Then you have the laser pen and the trashing of Trafalgar Square.

I worry about our reputation abroad, even within our own Kingdom. The US appears brash and rude to many of us but imagine being another European nation looking at the English? We look like poor loosers and poor winners. I am English but one side of my family is Welsh and I live close to the border and go there regularly. I'd love to wear an English shirt with pride when I go across the bridge but I get a little bit embarrassed about what I think other people think it represents. I think the English team are playing with dignity and respect and I'd like England to be remembered and respected for their successes in this tournament rather than for laser pens, anthem booing and vandalism.

We've been booing anthems and acting like morons for years. Won't end anytime soon.

Really hope Rashford or Sterling score the winning goal Sunday.

Players and press of other nations calling the three lions song arrogance winds me up.

Three lions is about not giving up and believing in your team,

Cue every other fan in the world claiming England should be disqualified and Denmark given the finals spot.
Lo and behold, there's a petition calling for the match to be replayed. Definitely not going to happen, especially given that the final is on Sunday. :p

Lo and behold, there's a petition calling for the match to be replayed. Definitely not going to happen, especially given that the final is on Sunday. :p
It was not a penalty, but that's the way football goes. If they replay the match then perhaps it should start with England having the penalty they had denied when Kane's legs where taken out inside the box.

Edit: or perhaps petition FIFA to replay the 1986 World Cup quarter final when Diego Maradona scored with his hand. It's just the way the cookie crumbles with football. The better team still won the game

Players and press of other nations calling the three lions song arrogance winds me up.

Three lions is about not giving up and believing in your team,

To be fair, it’s the UK’s press posing the question constantly about the cup coming home rather than anything to do with the wider lyrics of the song. If I were on the other side of things as Kasper for example, I’d be saying the same thing in all honesty! I

Even aside from that, it’s a bit of banter, and a cracking answer from Schemichel to get people wound up. Have to say I enjoy the saltyness from the goal too, as though every other team is perfect and hasn’t also worked the system at one point and drew a few borderline fouls. The fact some of the harshest critics have been Italian fans is all the more hilarious!

The anthem booing used to be a regular thing, then it seemed to stop around the new Wembley era. We always do it in the major tournaments though.

The laser thing was out of order but can't judge a whole nations supporters on the act of one single person. He saved the penalty anyway :p

Saying that I'm a Chelsea supporter and have always very much embraced the whole 'no one likes us' vibe. Makes victory a tad sweeter.

Where are we all watching the final? I'm only a short tube journey from Wembley so will be heading over there with a bag of cans to soak up the atmosphere, then back to the pub for KO.

I’ll be watching the final at home. Don’t fancy going out anywhere when I know it’s gonna be rammed.

Booing of opposition anthems is nothing new, it actually fires the opposition up if you listen to those who play / have played the game so it’s counterproductive.

On the laser pen, that was some laser pen and the person shining it must have had the most steady hand in the stadium from that distance.
That didn’t work either as he saved the penalty and didn’t complain about the laser pen so it obviously didn’t put him off.

Where are we all watching the final? I'm only a short tube journey from Wembley so will be heading over there with a bag of cans to soak up the atmosphere, then back to the pub for KO.
I was thinking about watching it on the big screen at one of my local cinemas, but none of my friends seem interested. At home it is then. :(

I bought a completely unnecessary awesome 65 inch telly last Saturday and watched the Ukraine game on it first then Denmark Weds and it was incredible. So I'll be watching at home with the kids and a 10 pack. The kids don't understand the significance so far. I'm not confident of a win, I think the 2002 World Cup squad was stronger but history has been made either way.

Has to be said if England manage to beat this Italy side then we can pretty much beat any national team. Italy are solid in all departments and it'll be a bloody tough game but I have confidence so we must be a good team because in the past I'd be scared to play any big nations

Pub is the only place for events like this, I pre-booked for every conceivable England game before the tournament started, quite optimistic in hindsight.
But as we’re in the final @Rick, your foresight must surely have paid off on this occasion?

Football doesn’t really interest me, personally. I get that it’s historic that England have made the final, I see why people are very excited, and it’s of course a tremendous achievement on the part of our team, but it’s not really something that really enthuses me like it does some, if I’m being completely honest.

However, I should point out that I’ve had the “It’s coming home” song (I don’t know the exact name) stuck in my head for days now!

When I see the state of public spaces after any major football game, the cost to the taxpayer to tidy up after them, the rise in domestic violence that coincides with major fixtures, the mobs of supporters that start fights in the street, the emboldened nationalism of calling a 10 year old a “nazi sl*t”, the fact that I know so many people who don’t feel safe to go out on match nights - I couldn’t care less about a “historic” moment. It’s a game and doesn’t warrant all the negative behaviour that comes along with it.