• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Eurovision 2020

Everyone else, pack up and go home Iceland comin' on through

I realise I say this every damn year with my soft spot for Iceland, but in a contest full of ballads this year, this stands out.

A few listens and this will get stuck in your head! I just hope between this and Lithuania something upbeat gets some attention this year.

I realise I say this every damn year with my soft spot for Iceland, but in a contest full of ballads this year, this stands out.

A few listens and this will get stuck in your head! I just hope between this and Lithuania something upbeat gets some attention this year.

Let’s just hope Sweden pick Anna Bergendahl next Saturday evening to liven the Contest up a bit, yeah? :p

Underwhelmed by everything Sweden have got in Melfest this year, don't think Anna would do all that well really. Upbeat yes, but just not really feeling it as a song in all honesty.

Elsewhere, Romania has now leapfrogged Lithuania in the odds across most bookies, and Iceland has now jumped to third favourite from about 10th in the space of about 9 hours. Romania hasn't actually chosen their song yet, but they have chosen Roxena as their artist. The final is tonight, and one of five shortlisted songs will win. The favourite being either Cherry Red or Alcohol You (hoping for Cherry Red!)

This year's selection does seem to be quite weak overall, with LOADS of ballads, which may go some way to explaining why countries like Lithuania, Iceland and Romania seem to be doing better in the odds than usual. Of course, none of those countries has won Eurovision before, so the chances of a first-time winner seem to be quite decent, which is 100% a good thing! I'd like Iceland to win, but I just don't like their song as much as others - I just don't think I quite get it, and in my mind, it feels slightly dated. But what do I know? :p Romania need to get back to the final after two rather poor years, and they've struck gold with Roxen. They've got a great shot at getting their best result for several years.

We should have all the entries confirmed within the next couple of weeks. Ireland does seem to be one to watch out for this year - their song will be revealed on Thursday morning - but I just desperately hope I'm not going to be disappointed from the rumours that have been emerging so far.

They are sending the weak acts. Just in case covid 19 gets them

(Can you tell i don't take Eurovision seriously)

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

This is my favourite of the Eurovision songs I've heard this year.

So this one is a surprise, Russia are going with Little Big for their entry this year so another non ballad. These guys are MASSIVELY popular (4.9 million subscribers, over 1 billion views) thanks to some utterly stupid videos, one of which went crazy online a year or so back:

Interesting to see what they come up with!

Russia don't usually go for groups, either - discounting the Tolmachevy Sisters in 2014, last time they did was back in 2012 with the wonderful Russian Grannies (a favourite of @Poisson), and they got second place. After the disasters of Julia Samoylova in 2017 and 2018, could Russia be properly gunning for the win again?

My concern is they may be a little too out there for the juries. They'll do well on the public vote,e eastern Europe on account of how huge they are. The song choice will be key in this one, as musically their previous stuff of putting a massive donk on it might not be appreciated at Eurovision. Nice to see some variation in the past week or so though!

I was starting to get concerned that instead of drinking shots of whisky during the semis and final, I'd be needing coffee to stay awake because of all the sodding ballads! :p

And here we have Ireland's entry - 'Story of My Life' by Lesley Roy.

Thank ABBA it's not another ballad. Even in the tougher semi, it stands a good chance of going through to the final!

And here we have Sweden's entry - 'Move' by The Mamas.

They were John Lundvik's backing vocalists last year, and the moment when he handed the trophy over to them was simply wonderful. The jury vote saw them tie with 'Bulletproof' by Dotter on 65 points each. The televote had Dotter with 71 points, and The Mamas had...72. I think it's the tightest Melodifestivalen result ever, and the voting sequence was brilliant. Sweden are definitely qualifying with this, and I honestly think it's got a very good chance of winning Eurovision this year. Who's up for a trip to Liseberg in May next year? The arena where they'd likely host Eurovision is less than five minutes' walk from the north entrance. Just sayin'. ;)

Eurovision has been cancelled. To say I'm devastated is pretty accurate, but I just guess there was no other realistic option for the EBU to take. Going forward from here, I'd guess that all artists that would've represented their countries this year will likely be given first refusal on representing their countries next year, but that decision may well be up to the individual broadcasters. By the sound of things, Rotterdam will be given first refusal on hosting the Contest next year as well, which I think is perfectly fair. It's worth noting that this is the first time the Contest has ever been cancelled in its history.

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!

Sad we can't have Eurovision this year? No worries, BBC Studios are producing a new broadcast to go out on Saturday 16th May 2020, It will be called Eurovision: Come together, and will feature classic Eurovision performances, a look at what would have been in 2020 and entertaining interviews, including this year’s UK entry James Newman.

Hope we can all enjoy this programme.