• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Eurovision 2024

The semi-final draw has been made, with the running order to be determined at some point in March.

Semi-Final 1
First half

Croatia 🇭🇷
Cyprus 🇨🇾
Ireland 🇮🇪
Lithuania 🇱🇹
Poland 🇵🇱
Serbia 🇷🇸
Ukraine 🇺🇦
Second half
Australia 🇦🇺
Azerbaijan 🇦🇿
Finland 🇫🇮
Iceland 🇮🇸
Luxembourg 🇱🇺
Moldova 🇲🇩
Portugal 🇵🇹
Slovenia 🇸🇮
Also voting in semi-final 1 are Germany, Sweden, and the UK. 🇩🇪 🇸🇪 🇬🇧

Semi-Final 2
First half

Albania 🇦🇱
Armenia 🇦🇲
Austria 🇦🇹
Czechia 🇨🇿
Denmark 🇩🇰
Greece 🇬🇷
Malta 🇲🇹
Switzerland 🇨🇭
Second half
Belgium 🇧🇪
Estonia 🇪🇪
Georgia 🇬🇪
Israel 🇮🇱
Latvia 🇱🇻
Netherlands 🇳🇱
Norway 🇳🇴
San Marino 🇸🇲
Also voting in semi-final 2 are France, Italy, and Spain. 🇫🇷🇮🇹🇪🇸

Been listening to a few bits and bobs and got caught up over the last couple of days (last year's seems like 5 minutes ago!) so a few of my thoughts and bits that I'm liking so far...

UK entry wise, I'm reserving full judgement until the full song is out - so far I do actually quite like the sound of it. However...and this is the big worry - there's a real potential of it being drowned out by other entries, especially those that are going for the same 00's nostalgic vibe. And that seems to be the thing a fair few are doing this year, a fair few of which I'll mention below.

Finland is a prime example - a song I really love as well by the way, they always manage to put out the random stuff! They've gone for the early 00's/90's Eurodance sound (I mean it basically sounds exactly like Günther at the start), but coupled with the performance it's a right laugh, catchy and most importantly incredibly memorable. We saw how well that served Käärijä last year, I'd expect this could do similar. Juries will likely kill it though!

Elsewhere you've got Luxembourg in their return after 30 years, they're going for that Mediterranean sound that Eurovision went mad for over a couple of years in the early 00's when the likes of Helena Paparizou won. Don't think it's going to go many places, but it's catchy all the same.

If ballads are your thing (they're not always mine), I'm really liking Latvia's entry. He's pretty decent live and has a really catchy chorus.

With Italy and their national final, what was probably my second favourite won. I did prefer Annalisa (her SIXTH time entering and failing to win!). But the winner La Noia is a really decent track, love the rap section and again going for that Mediterranean sound in the chorus.

Over in Sweden, Melfest has only just started, so no confirmed act yet - but that doesn't stop me picking out a few faves so far. Heat 1 didn't have anything that overly grabbed by attention (Smash Into Pieces is OK - again going for the 00's sound with a Linkin Park-esque vibe) but Heat 2 had three decent songs for me, two of which that I've got stuck in my head. Maria Sur has a dance tune this year after her entry last year that was a bit on the bland side. Sure it's a bit of a paint by numbers dance song, but she sounds really good live. No full clip to post of that one, as SVT love to not put performances online of acts that go straight to the final. But if you want to watch it, go on the SVT website and the show is still on there.

Second earworm is Frökens Nusk, a really really catchy folksy/dance number entirely in Swedish - complete with pink unicorn, balaclavas and dancers. I was surprised this didn't go direct to final, but it's instead going through to second chance. The other song that went direct to final is LIAMOO. Another of those dramatic ballads, but it sounds good all the same.

Really not keen on Ireland's song this year, I actually don't mind the first 2/3's of it but it just turns into a bit of a mess at the end.

And finally (for now) we have Norway. They've picked Gåte for their entry, and even though it's in Norwegian I bloody love this - especially live. Mixes a bit of a folky vibe at first (one day the Melfest audience will clap in time), a big chunk of Björk with a sprinkling of a 00's Evanescence vibe to top it off as well. It's really grown on me the more I've listened to it.

Also not strictly Eurovision related, but I'd recommend a listen to Käärijä's new single that he performed at the national final the other day. Another one that's stuck in my head, and yet another one with an early 00's Dance Dance Revolution kinda sound to it. I wish this was amongst this year's entries to be honest, dare I say I prefer this to Cha Cha Cha 😂.

Back no doubt with more nonsensical ramblings as the weeks go on :p

Last edited:
I'll offer my thoughts so far.

Albania - It's just...there? Decent, but uninspiring, which is a recurring theme from Albania.

Czechia - Catchy hook, and it's in the weaker semi, so it could stand more of a chance of qualifying.

Finland - Didn't initially like this one, but it's starting to grow on me.

France - Solid entry from them yet again.

Ireland - Very different, and it's shot up in the odds. Got the UK voting in its semi, which will help. Juries will tank it, I'm certain, so Ireland will be relying on the televote.

Italy - They're serving excellence yet again.

Latvia - Best entry they've sent in years. It has a lot of impact, and I find the lyrics to be quite powerful. Best chance of qualifying in a long time.

Luxembourg - For their first entry in over 30 years, I'm impressed. Not the best entry this year, but by no means the worst, and I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll qualify.

Malta - Just feels a bit bland, really.

Norway - Oh, yes, Norway! First song in Norwegian since 2006, and it's really good.

Slovenia - Not bad. Nice to have them do something a little different for once.

Spain - Decent, but feels a bit outdated.

Ukraine - Impressive once again from Ukraine, who've clearly become a Eurovision stronghold in spite of everything that's going on in their country. There's a certain sense of power in this song that I really like.

Last edited:
Poor love. Living in that terribly dirty bedsit with filthy windows and dodgy electrics, and someone ripped his jumper. 😉
An accurate portrayal of post Brexit Britain and after 14 years of Tory rule.

I thought Eurovision acts were supposed to be a political? 😉

Listening to the full song my thoughts still haven't really changed on our entry (hope Pet Shop Boys are being paid for the It's a Sin-esque intro 😂). It's well produced but it just kind of meanders along, the mixing is a bit too flat and muddled too - and I'm still not a fan of the bells throughout. The chorus is catchy I guess, but where's the wow factor? A decent Top40-esque song, but I don't really feel that it goes anywhere and even though Olly can be an excellent performer, he needs an excellent song to go with it - and I don't think this provides that.

We'll see if the song gets amended a little bit for the finals as Sam Ryder's did with a Eurovision version giving us the guitar solo. There's still a few seconds to mess with to hit the 3 minute limit, but in its current form I'm not seeing it doing all that well. It's annoying to be honest that we've gone with something again that's relatively safe when we had such a great performer lined up.

Countries have really upped their game this year, and there's so many songs that are properly in your face. Norway is a proper stop everyone in their tracks performance, Croatia has their catchy chorus (I dunno why it's so high in the odds mind, his live performances so far have sounded awful) and Finland with a novelty but really fun, well performed song. Among that you've got strong songs from Belgium, Lithuania, Netherlands and Switzerland, with far more I could add to that list too.

By this point of the year we normally have 4 or 5 entries where you could think they'd stand a strong chance of getting top 3. This year, that number for me is easily in double figures - and we don't even have every entry yet! It's shaping up to be one of the strongest years we've had in a long, long time and despite the star power of Olly my feeling is the UK's entry is going to be easily lost amongst the other stronger entries :(

Just has a listen to our song and got bored halfway through so stopped listening, nothing overly wrong with it, just seems a bit bland and samey. I've not heard any other countries entries (I like to have the surprise of them on the night) but I can imagine it is going to get lost in the show.

A shame if so, as Olly is a top performer!

It’s that time yet again! I’ll be reviewing the songs for each semi-final in relation to the running order, with the automatic qualifiers coming afterwards. The automatic qualifiers are performing in full during each semi-final among the other entries, which I don’t actually agree with (I fully agree with them performing in full during each show, for the record – it’s just that my issue is regarding how it’s being done). The automatic qualifiers are performing in the semi-finals in which they’re voting, which makes sense. The only other thing I wish to comment on is regarding Israel’s entry. Whether we like it or not, they’re participating this year, and my thoughts on the situation there have not been a factor when it comes to their Eurovision entry this year.

Semi-Final 1
01 – Cyprus (‘Liar’ by Silia Kapsis)🇨🇾
An excellent choice to open. Catchy, upbeat, performed well…What’s not to like? Surely going to qualify from this position, and could do well. Silia will be joined onstage in Malmö by dancers, which will help to elevate the performance.

02 – Serbia (‘Ramonda’ by Teya Dora)🇷🇸
It’s a good ballad, performed well, but I’m just worried that it’s a bit bland, and won’t stand out well enough to have a decent shot of qualifying. Which would be a shame, as Serbia are generally quite good.

03 – Lithuania (‘Luktelk’ by Silvester)🇱🇹
Put on a bit earlier than I’d like, but don’t let that fool you. Silvester is excellent, and sells the song well. The song is perhaps a tad monotonous in places, but I’m still thinking it’ll qualify for the final.

04 – Ireland (‘Doomsday Blue’ by Bambie Thug)🇮🇪
Ireland have sent something very different for a change, and artist Bambie Thug is nailing their live performances in the pre-parties. Might alienate some, but I’ve got a sneaking suspicion this could break Ireland’s NQ streak.

05 – Ukraine (‘Teresa & Maria’ by Alyona Alyona & Jerry Heil)🇺🇦
Very good once again from Ukraine. Mixes Ukrainian and English well, and the rap sections work nicely, despite my dislike of the genre. It’s qualifying for certain – there’s no doubt about that.

06 – Poland (‘The Tower’ by Luna)🇵🇱
It’s a nice song, and Luna performs it well, but I have my doubts that it’ll manage to get anywhere among the stronger entries in the semi. I’m also concerned about Luna’s live vocals, which haven’t been wonderful in the pre-parties.

07 – Croatia (‘Rim Tim Tagi Dim’ by Baby Lasagna)🇭🇷
One of the favourites, and it’s easy to see why. The hook is catchy, and Baby Lasagna is performing the song so well every single time. It’s qualifying for certain, and could easily get Croatia their first ESC win as an independent nation.

08 – Iceland (‘Scared of Heights’ by Hera Björk)🇮🇸
I like Hera, don’t get me wrong, but this song just feels dead in the water. There’s not a huge amount of variation between verse and chorus, and being placed right after Croatia won’t help its chances at all.

09 – Slovenia (‘Veronika’ by Raiven)🇸🇮
An unusually dark entry from Slovenia, I rather like it to an extent. I’m unsure as to how it’ll be staged, but we shall see during rehearsals in Malmö. Dark horse for qualifying.

10 – Finland (‘No Rules’ by Windows95man)🇫🇮
Finland’s on a run of crazy entries, especially after Käärijä last year. This is completely nuts, and the staging at the NF was interesting to say the least. I see no world in which this doesn’t qualify, and is arguably on for another top 10 finish.

11 – Moldova (‘In the Middle’ by Natalia Barbu)🇲🇩
From the country of Epic Sax Guy comes…this absolute mess. The performance in the NF felt like it was at the bad end of Uncanny Valley, the chorus is completely unmemorable, and it’s just not good. One of the worst ESC entries in a while.

12 – Azerbaijan (‘Özünlə apar’ by Fahree feat Ilkin Dovlatov)🇦🇿
I don’t really know what to make of this one. It’s performed well, and it’s nice to hear Azerbaijani at the Contest for once, but the chorus just tends to send me to sleep. Staging could be key to this.

13 – Australia (‘One Milkali (One Blood)’ by Electric Fields)🇦🇺
The popular Electric Fields finally come to Eurovision. It’s a good mid-tempo song, and it’ll be performed well. The staging is an unknown at this point, but this is an area where Australia usually excel. Good chance of qualifying.

14 – Portugal (‘Grito’ by Iolanda)🇵🇹
Portuguese ballads can be interesting, but this is a good one. Well-performed, and the NF staging worked well. I’m just concerned it’s a bit dreary and won’t pop out enough to qualify, which is a shame when Portugal’s been on a good run lately.

15 – Luxembourg (‘Fighter’ by Tali)🇱🇺
After 31 years, Luxembourg is back. An interesting choice to close, but Tali performs well, and the production at the NF was high-standard. Slight adaptations needed for the staging in Malmö, but I think it’ll qualify and give Luxembourg a respectable finish.

Semi-Final 2
01 – Malta (‘Loop’ by Sarah Bonnici)🇲🇹
A surprise choice to start, but not a bad one. Well-performed, but Malta does struggle with the televote, which is frustrating. Will be interesting to see how this does in Malmö when it comes to May.

02 – Albania (‘Titan’ by Besa)🇦🇱
Albania’s reputation for translating songs into English and them losing some power continues. Besa’s a great performer, don’t get me wrong, but I just don’t think this will have enough to help it qualify.

03 – Greece (‘Zari’ by Marina Satti)🇬🇷
To be honest, I don’t like this, as much as I want to. It just feels rather messy, and while I like a bit of chaos, this just isn’t the good kind, which is quite sad. Having said that, Marina’s a good performer, which may help.

04 – Switzerland (‘The Code’ by Nemo)🇨🇭
Another favourite, and it’s easy to see why. Nemo is a wonderful singer, and they’re perfect in the pre-party performances, hitting the high notes every time. This is definitely qualifying, and we could easily be heading to Zürich in 2025.

05 – Czechia (‘Pedestal’ by Aiko)🇨🇿
There’ve been questions about the live performances, but Aiko seems to be defying her critics. There’s one line of the chorus which is quite catchy, and that could be of great assistance. Will she make it three qualifications in a row for Czechia? She’s got a chance.

06 – Austria (‘We Will Rave’ by Kaleen)🇦🇹
Upbeat dance bangers are interesting at Eurovision, as the staging can make or break them. This will be key to Kaleen, whose live performances are good. I’m pretty confident that this will qualify and give a decent result for Austria.

07 – Denmark (‘Sand’ by Saba)🇩🇰
Denmark are on a bad run recently, last making the final in 2019. Will Saba break this streak? I honestly don’t know. It’s not the best song, but she performs it well, and may well sneak into the final.

08 – Armenia (‘Jako’ by Ladaniva)🇦🇲
I don’t know what to make of this. It just feels rather messy, and more like three minutes of noise than an actual song. There’s nothing that draws me in, which is a real shame.

09 – Latvia (‘Hollow’ by Dons)🇱🇻
This is hugely underrated. Dons’ vocals are phenomenal, and he doesn’t need a huge amount of staging to sell his performance. I honestly think this will get Latvia to the final for the first time since 2016 and give them a pretty decent result.

10 – San Marino (’11:11’ by Megara)🇸🇲
The perennial underdogs are back with an interesting group. I do enjoy rock music, but it doesn’t often do well at Eurovision, which is a massive shame. Still, Megara has the potential to qualify this year, which is always a success for San Marino!

11 – Georgia (‘Firefighter’ by Nutsa Buzaladze)🇬🇪
One of the best entries from Georgia for some time. Vocally great, performed well, with staging potential. One or two bits are a tad repetitive, but I think it’ll probably qualify.

12 – Belgium (‘Before the Party’s Over’ by Mustii)🇧🇪
It’s quite a good anthemic offering, with the main hook being one that should be quite memorable. Mustii’s a great performer as well. My only concern is that it takes a while to build, but when it does…Ooh, boy. Another top 10 finish for Belgium, I think.

13 – Estonia (‘(Nendest) narkootikumidest ei tea me (küll) midagi’ by 5miinust and Puuluup)🇪🇪
I want to like this, but I just don’t for some reason. It feels a bit weird, and the staging at Eesti Laul didn’t seem to work. Estonia may not make the final for once, which is a shame. They should’ve sent Ollie instead…

14 – Israel (‘Hurricane’ by Eden Golan)🇮🇱
It’s just a bit bland, really, though Eden does perform it well. Could work being put after the slight craziness of Estonia, but it’s hard to know whether or not it’ll make it to the final.

15 – Norway (‘Ulveham’ by Gåte)🇳🇴
Norwegian at Eurovision for the first time since 2006. The vocals are superb, and the performance is nailed every single time. Has to qualify, and it should give yet another good result for Norway.

16 – Netherlands (‘Europapa’ by Joost Klein)🇳🇱
Great way to finish the semi-finals. It’s wacky, upbeat, and Joost is a great performer. Plus we have the Dutch language at the contest once more, which is a treat. Another solid qualifier, and should give a decent result for the Netherlands.

Automatic qualifiers
France (‘Mon amour’ by Slimane)🇫🇷
The stunning vocals from Slimane confirm this as jury bait. Will the televote respond in the same way? Perhaps not quite, but it doesn’t matter. This should be another solid result for France in their hunt for a first win since 1977.

Germany (‘Always on the Run’ by Isaak)🇩🇪
What do you get when you cross Olly Murs and Rag ‘n’ Bone Man? Isaak. He’s a solid performer, don’t get me wrong, but I’m worried that Germany will finish in the bottom 5 yet again, which is frankly embarrassing.

Italy (‘La noia’ by Angelina Mango)🇮🇹
Now THIS is how it’s done. You don’t always need dancers on stage for an upbeat song, and Angelina is superb both vocally & in terms of staging. This is surely going to be another top 5 result for Italy, and could be a dark horse for the win once more.

Spain (‘Zorra’ by Nebulossa)🇪🇸
This just screams camp & cheesy 1980s disco. Not in a bad way, for the record! The chorus in particular is popular with audiences, and while I don’t think it’ll achieve a great result, it’s a good entry from Spain this year.

Sweden (‘Unforgettable’ by Marcus & Martinus)🇸🇪
How do you follow up Loreen? Well, by sending some Norwegian twins, of course. As always with Sweden, the production is slick, it’s excellently-performed, and it should give yet another good result for the Scandinavian powerhouse.

United Kingdom (‘Dizzy’ by Olly Alexander)🇬🇧
It’s a bold move to have an artist of Olly’s calibre at Eurovision, and one that I think will pay off. The song’s good, and Olly performs it live very well indeed. My only concern is the staging, but I’m confident that it’ll be fine.