• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Eurovision 2024

There has been an update on the Joost Klein situation. Long story short is that the charges against him have been dropped.

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/eurovision/comments/1eqauum/criminal_charges_against_joost_klein_dropped/

and the EBU are doubling-down that they stand by their decision to disqualify.
This was an investigation into whether a criminal act was committed and not whether Mr Klein behaved inappropriately and breached ESC rules and procedures. This new development therefore does not have any impact on our decision which we stand by completely

and the EBU are doubling-down that they stand by their decision to disqualify.
They just can't face admitting they were wrong. I know there are perhaps different standards re: the two different things, but it's really not a good look at all for the EBU to double down, and the reaction online from fans has...Well, it's not been at all good. It's like they've stuck their fingers in their ears and are going "lalalala I'm not listening".

They just can't face admitting they were wrong. I know there are perhaps different standards re: the two different things, but it's really not a good look at all for the EBU to double down, and the reaction online from fans has...Well, it's not been at all good. It's like they've stuck their fingers in their ears and are going "lalalala I'm not listening".
Yep, just an acknowledgment that at the time they were acting on the current information and they will continue to review the behaviour is better than “nope we did what we did”

Burden of proof for criminal investigations is always higher than civil. The case was dropped due to a lack of evidence showing exactly what happened, but all parties broadly agree on the basics if not the detail. You also have to balance that the camera operator is an EBU employee. The EBU, in this instance, has a duty of care for their employee and have to take allegations of behaviour against their staff incredibly seriously.

Similar scenario for you. @Jonathan works behind a bar. One day @JAperson comes in and pushes Jon, just for the fun of it, Jon ends up breaking a bunch of glass all over the floor. Jon complains to his employer, the landlord, and JA gets banned. Jon then complains to the police, because he needs a crime reference number for insurance purposes, but the CPS decide there's not enough evidence to secure a prosecution. The CCTV isn't clear, witnesses weren't around. It's one person against the other. JA still remains barred, however, because Jon's landlord believes him and has the best interests of his employer at heart.