• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fantasy Island

Personally don't think it's worth it mate, bearing in mind how far you are and how much it'll cost. Plus taxi money etc, and the premier inn is quite costly in skegness unless you find a better hotel.
Yes the 2 coasters are great, but, there isn't much else thrill wise, bar an S&S shot tower.
It's only an hour from me and I still only do it once a year if that.
There is a few more creds down at pleasure beach in actual skegness but.
With the money it'll cost it's much more worth going to Parc Asterix, Phantasialand, Walibi Holland etc.

We were toying with going down here for the first time on Friday (as can't get any RAP slots at the Merlin parks) and weather looks very good.

1. Likely to be very busy at this time of year (considering unseasonably warm)?
2. Still quite windy, between 20-30mph gusts, is that going to be problematic? Surely it doesn't get much lower than that on the coast anyway...

As for @Matt N , I haven't been but does seem like there's a decent collection of indoor rides, with Harrington looking like the best trackless dark ride in the UK by a long stretch.

As for @Matt N , I haven't been but does seem like there's a decent collection of indoor rides, with Harrington looking like the best trackless dark ride in the UK by a long stretch.

Before Cadbury World opened their new ride last week or so wasn’t Harrington Flint the only trackless dark ride in the UK?

Edit - Forgot about the Legoland Discovery Centres having the Kingdom Quest rides.

I quite like Fantasy Island and there’s far more worth-doing attractions there than what first meets the eye. Odyssey and Millennium are two of the better old-gen style Vekomas and the selection of rides in and outside of the pyramid is varied. That being said, much like your trip plans of the past @Matt N, it’s simply not worth sending £200+ on such a trip. As others have said (and we’ve said in the past), you could go to a top-rate European theme park for a weekend for that sort of money.

I’m aware of your travel confidence in Europe not being particularly great and that’s understandable, and I’m not in the business of telling anyone what to do, just offering some friendly advice. :)

Thanks for your advice, everybody!

It would seem that opinions on Fantasy Island and whether it's worth me doing are... extremely mixed, to say the least. In this thread and elsewhere, it would appear that there's a vast divide, with some saying "go for it!" and others saying "steer well clear!".

As such, I've decided to widen my search slightly beyond Fantasy Island and look into all of the semi-major UK parks I haven't yet done, and have started a new thread for this: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/which-of-these-uk-solo-trips-sounds-best.7157/#post-459723

We travel around 3 and a half hours every year from the north East and have since I was a toddler, I’m 27 now and still love it every time. Millennium is criminally underrated and the atmosphere in the pyramid is something that doesn’t get mentioned enough

I went from the north east last year. The odyssey and rapids were closed, but I ended up having a better day than I had at BPB the previous day. What I would say is Fantasy island do well with what they have got, and it is genuinely a different experience. The millennium coaster is genuinely excellent and worth a ride.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

The indoor area at Fantasy Island is very unique by UK standards, very immervie and feels like a European park is many ways. Mellors have done a good job with it and while they do have lots of ride rotation with swapping different rides in/out thrat means it doesn't get stale like many other parks of similar size too. Plus Odyssey and Millenium are both excellent coasters, the scale of Odyssey is huge for an inverted coaster and really looks it against the flat scenary around it. If you've never been I'd say its definatly worth a visit at least once. I mean if you don't like it you don't need to go again but you can't really judge it until you have experienced it for yourself.

Personally I found Odyssey to be rough and formulaic though its size is impressive.

Millennium is great fun however and was quite the surprise. It’s not a park I would travel for unless I had other reason to be in the area though.

It's a scary sight from the top of lift hils; trailer parks as far as the eye can see. In most parts of the world, that would be worse than a litteral ghetto, somewhere to run from. Yet somehow in this country we call it a holiday destination‽ I'll never understand it.

It's a scary sight from the top of lift hils; trailer parks as far as the eye can see. In most parts of the world, that would be worse than a litteral ghetto, somewhere to run from. Yet somehow in this country we call it a holiday destination‽ I'll never understand it.

I remember having a few caravan holidays as a child in the 80s (possibly even Skegness), it was cheap and you got to spend a few days at the seaside plus parents presumably got a bit of a break as we'd play with other kids onsite. Admittedly in the era of absurdly cheap flights it does feel a relic from the past but i'm sure it's still the only holiday many people in urban locations can afford and in this case you get a pretty decent selection of attractions on your doorstep.

I went on holiday to a caravan park once as a child, with some family friends. Don't remember where, other than "oop north". I can't have been older than 10.
It was freezing. It was soaking. There was nowhere to go, and nothing to do... Except try my first cigarette.

But anyway, I feel like the bigger problem with Fantasy Island is the dodgy market all around it.
... As well as the trailer park around the market.
.......And Skegness around that.

But anyway, I feel like the bigger problem with Fantasy Island is the dodgy market all around it.
... As well as the trailer park around the market.
The problem with your problem is that it is likely that market and that trailer park that keeps it in business. I actually think that for a PPR park, the market is a good idea - something for the non-riders to do and spend money on.