• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Favourite Albums/Singles of 2013

I'd disagree. Can't think of one album I've listened to that doesn't have obvious weak tracks. Unless you don't mean filler but just songs which can't be singles, which is two different things.

Although I personally find Arctic Monkeys dull and uninspired, just plain old 'indie' with no killer bite. Maybe I'm not #casual enough. :p

josht said:
All good songs my overall point was that bands aren't making good full albums the songs are all average with a few good songs that's why I haven't been to a gig this year

So like What's the Story (Morning Glory) then.

And, considering you haven't heard the albums yet, and I've just highlighted one of the most popular songs from each of these albums, how do you know that the albums are weak? All of these songs are in very strong albums (except for Modern Vampires of the City, I just don't like Vampire Weekend). And there are many more beyond there.

And about going to a gig, I don't know why bad albums (in your opinion) are stopping you. I saw the Pixies, who have only released one EP and a (extremely poor) single in the past 20 years, but they will still incredible.

Blaze said:
Can't think of one album I've listened to that doesn't have obvious weak tracks.

I think there's a typo, but, if you're saying what I think you're saying, I sort of agree. Although Random Access Memories is an album that springs to mind that goes against it.

I think it's been a fantastic year for alternative music, with a few good mainstream crossovers too.

My favourite albums have been....

John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
Luke Wyatt - Teen Hawk
Daniel Avery - Drone Logic
Hookworms - Pearl Mystic
Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
Julia Holter - Ekstasis
DJ Koze - Amalygada
Dent May - Warm Blanket
Ducktails - The Flower Lane
Dean Blunt - The Redeemer
Omar-S - Thank U 4 Letting Me Be Myself
Jessy Lanza - Pull My Hair Back
Four Tet - Beautiful Rewind
Conan Mockasin - Caramel

And many, many good dance records.

Was thinking more
Pixies - Doolittle
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Sex Pistols – Never Mind The Bollocks
The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead
The who - Quadrophenia

josht said:
Was thinking more
Pixies - Doolittle
The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead

No idea what you're saying, but those albums are outstanding. The best and the third best albums if the 80's, in my opinion of course.

Plastic Person said:
John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts
Luke Wyatt - Teen Hawk
Daniel Avery - Drone Logic
Hookworms - Pearl Mystic
Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
Julia Holter - Ekstasis
DJ Koze - Amalygada
Dent May - Warm Blanket
Ducktails - The Flower Lane
Dean Blunt - The Redeemer
Omar-S - Thank U 4 Letting Me Be Myself
Jessy Lanza - Pull My Hair Back
Four Tet - Beautiful Rewind
Conan Mockasin - Caramel

Several good calls here, like Pearl Mystic and Acid Rap, a few more I've been meaning to get to, mainly Ducktails and Four Tet, and a few to add to my list. Thanks for the post.

However, Ekstasis was last year!

Nick said:
However, Ekstasis was last year!

D'oh, I meant Loud City Song! Only saw her a few weeks ago too!

And yeah, I thought you might enjoy the list, you made some good picks yourself. I agree that the Mikal Cronin you posted is fantastic. It's been a good year for psychedelic music. I think you'd enjoy DJ Koze and Conan Mockasin's LPs too. :)

Plastic Person said:
I agree that the Mikal Cronin you posted is fantastic. It's been a good year for psychedelic music. I think you'd enjoy DJ Koze and Conan Mockasin's LPs too. :)

Glad you like Mikal Cronin. I, obviously, think it's fantastic and very easily likeable, sort of like a combination of the Beach Boys and Nirvana. And, yeah, I'd agree, also, with you saying that it's been a good year for psychedelic music. It's definitely on the way back in, after Lonerism's success last year, it's influence could prove to be very big, and it could probably go down as one of the most influential albums of the decade. And with all different types as well, with Foxygen going for a 60's revival and Hookworms' sort of ambient-ish psychedelia both in my top 10, it's pleasant to see such an explosion from a great genre.

And thanks for the recs, I'll try and listen to those tomorrow.

I think innocents by Moby has to be my favourite of the year.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy AM, even if it was a little samey throughout. Not much has stood out to me this year, though, I feel that 2012 was a better year for music. :)

A top 21 from me -

1) Arctic Monkeys - AM
2) Arcade Fire - Reflektor
3) Bastille - Bad Blood
4) B.M.T.H - Sempiternal
5) Kanye West - Yeezus
6) Jay Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail
7) Letlive. - Blackest Beautiful
8 ) The 1975 - The 1975
9) Chase and Status - Brand New Machine
10) Peace - In Love
11) CHVRCHES - The Bones Of What You Believe
12) Foals - Holy Fire
13) ADTR - Common Courtesy
14) London Grammar - If You Wait
15) The Wonder Years - Greatest Generation
16) Haim - Days Are Gone
17) Polar Bear Club - Death Chorus
18) Tinie Tempah - Demonstration
19) Ellie Goulding - Halcyon Days
20) A$AP Rocky - Long. Live. A$AP
21) Disclosure - Settle

I might get round to doing a list, but I need to say how let down I am by the lack of people listing Ghost's new record.

Blaze said:
I might get round to doing a list, but I need to say how let down I am by the lack of people listing Ghost's new record.

If I'd listed them today it would be on. But wasn't when I listed them.

Then again, my album of the moment is Live Aus Berlin :p