Favourite Moments of ATR

Discussion in 'Talbot Street' started by USLShadow, 7th Feb 2020.

1. USLShadow

USLShadow TowersStreet Member

Forgive me Admins if this is in the wrong place or has been done before, didn’t see anything but TappaTalk is buggy.

What are your favourite moments at ATR be it recent or years past?

I have a split of two. The very first time I went when I was about 10 pulling up to the hotel, seeing the fountain and getting that little passport they used to give out.

Second is the very first time I rode Nemises at about 12 with my dad, my head pinned between my knees through the helix where the camera used to be. Started an obsession and solidified a love for the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyscraper and rob666 like this.
    Posted 7th Feb 2020
  2. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

Looking out the window and not seeing sheds or supposed tree houses.

Nerdsticks, DiogoJ42 and MaxPower like this.
    Posted 7th Feb 2020
  3. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

Visiting the park pretty much anytime before 2016.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

MaxPower likes this.
    Posted 7th Feb 2020
  4. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Many many years ago, I spotted a mouse on the old wall on the walk down to the Forbidden Valley from the Haunted House, on the right hand side.
    Due to the soil levels, the mouse was high up, so pretty much at eye level.
    It was sat on its back legs, and almost looked like it was begging.
    It got a bit of whatever junk food I had in my pocket, it was as tame as anything, and I felt I was far from the first provider.
    My wife was there as witness, and, as she likes to point out, I still repeat the bloody tale every time we walk past the spot.

That and taking kids over the stepping stones for the first time.

Posted 7th Feb 2020
  5. Burbs

Burbs TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed, Walibi Holland
    I visited roughly once a year as a kid, but the time we went and I decided I’d finally go on all the “big rides” for the first time (I must have been about 11) was definitely a turning point for me and a day I look back on fondly.

As for more recently, pretty much any TS meet I’ve been to!

USLShadow and skyscraper like this.
    Posted 8th Feb 2020
  6. LordOfDarkness

LordOfDarkness TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    As a kid staying over in the Alton Towers Hotel for the first time. Everything seemed so magical, I remember waking up in excitement knowing I was going to be doing the secret woodland walk into forbidden valley.

I also remember we got draw string bags in the rooms containing Alton Towers top trumps and other memorabilia. Wish I knew what I did with them though!

Posted 9th Feb 2020
  7. USLShadow

I’d forgotten about the memorabilia and bags in the rooms! That was such a magic touch. If you find them, post some pictures?!

Poopoohead likes this.
    Posted 9th Feb 2020
  8. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

I second this

hearing nemesis roar during its morning test runs as you walk through the woods was magical....

Posted 10th Feb 2020
  9. USLShadow

I don’t think there’s a coaster on the planet that sounds a damn good nd haunting and magically and burns into your memory like the roar from nemesis

Posted 10th Feb 2020
  10. Log Flume's Dennis

Log Flume's Dennis TowersStreet Member

hearing the first fresh logs of the morning splashing down into their respective basins. walking past the courtyard, just salivating at the thought of climbing into a log and being taken to heaven. to look upon a log flume is to look upon the face of god

11. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

I love a log flume

Log Flume's Dennis likes this.
  12. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

o_Oo_O

jon81uk likes this.
  13. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Staying in ATH the year it opened. Seeing it appear as drove over the hill towards the hotel and thinking wow. The welcome from the porter as you arrived at the entrance and marveled at the themeing inside. Then the room, with large teddy bear sat on the bed, Alton Towers mugs, heat changing kettle, funky duck hairdryer, the Molton Brown toiletries, and the exclusive hotel guest pack comprising of postcards, exclusive vouchers etc.

Then heading to the exclusive hotel guests only pool (now the spa) for a few hours before heading down to the Secret Garden in the evening. The food was very high quality, with proper Angus Beef steaks, while the staff were dressed like gardeners. Afterwards it was get a seat around the ship (if you could, it was always packed out) and wait for a waiter for take your order and bring you a drink before watching the excellent entertainment which had the entire hotel involved until late at night.

Next morning go up and down a few floors to try out the funky lifts, before a walk around the beautiful garden out the rear of the hotel then into the restaurant for breakfast. Breakfast was cooked fresh and brought to your table. Then everyone would meet at the rear of the hotel, show their tickets and follow their "guide" through the woodland walk while being told stories about the history of Alton Towers before arriving at Forbidden Valley for an hour of ERT.

.... oh how times have changed and not for the better i'm afraid. The hotel really used to be a very special place to stay.

Alsty, jon81uk and Poopoohead like this.
  14. Mi-Nigle

Mi-Nigle TowersStreet Member

What a novelty.

Probably stayed there for the first time in 2000, wasn't far off what you describe at all. If all this was brought back (or at least the equivalent care and attention) I'd consider returning with my daughter in a few years.

15. Matt878787

Matt878787 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    first school trip in 2000 heading up to Nemesis the first time through Katanga Canyon without any adults . It was a scorching day and seeing people get p***ed wet through on Ripsaw before we queued for Nemesis & nearly bottling it seeing for the first time.

The smell of outsourced fast food around the park (I’ll never get over that one)

GaryH likes this.
  16. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Ahh yes the smell of chicken around Katanga Canyon in the summer before it become pizza pasta!

17. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Thunder Looper. End of discussion.

Joel3 likes this.
  18. Log Flume's Dennis

Log Flume's Dennis TowersStreet Member

interesting fact about the thunder looper - a lot of people remember it having two loops, but it was in the fact the same loop, that you traversed once forwards, then backwards

19. Marshal-B33J

Marshal-B33J TowersStreet Member

Loved the Couple of Years That you had Nemisis and Thunder Looper together along with The New Beast. Also Loved the old Coaster Corner with Corkscrew and Energizer all quit close.

Posted 3rd Mar 2020
  20. Boothy

Boothy TowersStreet Member

I enjoyed when there was the big five (?) challenge sponsored by Lion Bars. You got a T Shirt for riding them all - though I can't actually remember which rides it included.

I think it was Nemesis, Oblivion, Black Hole, Corkscrew and Ripsaw?

Edit: I'm pretty sure I was below 1.4m so couldn't complete it myself, but my big brother's were very happy at completing it.

Joel3 and RicketyCricket like this.
    Posted 4th Mar 2020