• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

February Half Term: No opening in 2016

Pretty pleased with this decision. The ride line up for FHT has got worsr over the few years; losing Oblivion when The Smiler was under construction and this year there would have been no Air. The park is totally dead on most days and there is also a good chance of very cold temperatures. All in all with money a big issue at the park the budget for FHT will be better spent elsewhere.

:)

The decision to cut this event is a step in the wrong direction. The FHT and Xmas event could have been very popular and drawn in plenty of guest if they had open all the attractions during these event over the past years. Instead they just keep cutting the line up which pushed guess numbers away.

Thorpe Park have also cut their FHT event, less of a tradition for them I guess but still an indication that we may have seen the last of these events, for te time being anyway.

I dont think it is a step in the wrong direction. I actually think its a step in the right direction. The park never used to open in February, a time when typically the UK weather is at its worst. Visitor numbers are low and it probably costs them more to open the park than they actually bring in. Plus, if it means areas of the park dont get as much maintenance as they need due to the reduced time in which to do it, then I think closing them can only be for the better.

Also, if it results in more areas of the park looking fresh for the new season, rides spruced up, and more money for things like Fireworks and Scarefest, then i'm happy to say goodbye to the February openings!

Plus every Feb you had a load of people moaning about closed rides, even though they told you what rides were open on the website.

Never saw the point going in Feb.

Given that it existed for several years, it is logical to conclude that the event previously made money - even if that was off the back of hotel stays etc.

This does seem like a step backwards in some respects, especially as we were talking about the possibility of the park operating all year not so long ago.

I can only imagine they can't see it turning a significant profit which is a shame.

Sensible decision. I can see the event returning in a few years time when attendance improves and the park recovers from the effects of the crash.

Bring back Adrenaline week...

Seriously, FHT was awful. Always has been, the ONLY saving grace; Nemesis.

I'll quite happily wait until May to ride any coaster, thank you very much!

You kids... impervious to any weather.

It will be interesting to see how many guests turn up to the park expecting it to be open. Or how many of those booking hotel breaks expect the park to be open.

I've booked a few nights throughout next season at the resorts taking advantage of the early bird booking prices.

They sent me a link to their 2015 brochure which still advertises on page 11 the FHT "13th - 21st February 2016 Enjoy an action packed day or short break at the Alton Towers Resort. A great selection of rides and attractions will be open for all the family to enjoy – it’s the perfect winter escape!" o_O Surely this is misleading/miss-selling if the park is not going to be open. They should have put a stop to this brochure.

https://altontowers.blob.core.windows.net/media/1139/2015-confirmation-brochure.pdf

^ I'm sure they'll thank you for this, as the browse these forums regularly. I'm certain they won't quietly make amends without acknowledgement to this place.

This is their small print on the brochure "Alton Towers Resort reserves the right to make alterations to a booking but to no lesser value or quality."

Obviously the brochure has been out all season, I hope that Alton has notified and refunded all those that had pre-booked in advance for the FHT expecting the theme park to be opened as advertised.

They did this a few years back with regards to the first week of Halloween closing times suddenly change to an earlier time, but as much as they kept on deleting the advertisements with the opening times, I keep on finding the odd link still advertising the later closing times on their website, until they had no choice but to do a you turn on the closing times.