• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2013

That is quite a nice video, and the audio has been added to the video after it was filmed (so you geeks out that can rip it without the noise of the fireworks and people!).

The Jubilee version is far better. The biggest mistake made on "official" fireworks videos are often that they just overdub the on site audio with the soundtrack - covering up the sounds of the bursts. Jubilee have got the mix right, and it's great quality too.

Alastair said:
The Jubilee version is far better. The biggest mistake made on "official" fireworks videos are often that they just overdub the on site audio with the soundtrack - covering up the sounds of the bursts. Jubilee have got the mix right, and it's great quality too.

Totally agree. Hate that.

God I loved that night - would love to see that again! The more and more I watch it the more I appreciate how much work went into that, getting the timings right etc. Was a truely fanastic show.

It was definitely up there with the 2010 show and better than Electric Towers... Hope they keep the quality going up... Though they need more speakers as the sound quality was a bit iffy at the bottom of Towers Street

I think it will.

It always seems to me that Merlin instill a fear into their parks so they don't like taking risks, hence why the always take a slow approach to any change. I think the ents team proved with this show that the more story driven fireworks displays are popular with guests and they will build on that.

Mr C did designed this year show. and we all know he aims to give the audience a blooming good show.

I can't see AT/merlin getting someone else to do the fireworks with all the positive comments it got this year.

delta79 said:
Mr C did designed this year show. and we all know he aims to give the audience a blooming good show.

I can't see AT/merlin getting someone else to do the fireworks with all the positive comments it got this year.

It's not a question of design, it was getting the ideas passed by upper management. I think this will prove to those who control the event above the creative team that this style of show can work and they should get to push the boat out a bit more creatively

If things where only a matter of creative process Scarefest would have 2 scare zones 5 mazes and the whole park would be full of amazing lighting and decoration... Unfortunately Bean counters also have their say :(

I wouldn't call the 2013 Fireworks a risk. Although the higher up bosses (and Merlin) need to start to be more open-minded with events, attractions and how things work at the park.

At the moment they (Merlin and the finance giants) seem to want to get away with the bare minimum so they can spend as little as possible across the park.

I heard that this years firework display cost less than last years? If that is true, surely this proves that if you have a bit of imagination, you can create a great show, but actually spend less on it. The park has some amazing rides, each with a fairly decent story behind them and amazing history. Why wouldn't you use that to make a unique and magical firework display?

^^ I agree

While we are talking about the firework display, just two things I would say which need to be improved for next year:

1) The VIP Area was a joke. To fork out that kinda money I would want: A covered section in case the weather turns with those patio heater things inside - decent chairs to sit on -within the covered area a place to eat and drink and not have to queue for ages and fight through the queues at the burger vans.

2) After the event finished and the thousands of people started to make their way to the various areas, there was a lack of lighting on the lawns and at the bottom of towers street. It was pitch black. Once the display has finished, there should have been some decent flood lights turned on to light up the area.

But overall, it was a fantastic event.

BigDave said:
I heard that this years firework display cost less than last years?
It certainly seemed like they'd made a significant cut to the actual pyro budget compared to previous years - there weren't as many large shells as in the past, with much more low-level stuff to compensate. There were also significant gaps between each section of the show with nothing really happening which hasn't been the case in the past. The addition of the storyline meant it was still a better show than in the last couple of years, but it was clearly a weaker display.

Yes there were clearly less fireworks, but I think the gaps in between sections worked really well, in the past 20 minutes of constant fireworks was a bit too much to take in, and after a while it got a bit boring. But having the gaps and the different variety of fireworks worked well. They just need a few larger fireworks next year. And also better audio.