• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2013

Definitely a vast improvement on the 2011 and 2012 shows, nice cheesy story and great fireworks and lighting. A few new firework effects thrown in too which is good!

iUSRyE4.png

Really Alton, really. :p

I honestly think that they put that in for us and so that we have something to talk about again over closed season. ;)

I'm sure it will be a good month or two until "Has the magic returned?" becomes a new topic of heated debate. ;) Right after the Air tunnel topic makes a come back! :p

Just managed to watch the fireworks online and wow! Well done to Pete Cliff and the team introducing an actual storyline to the show. It's quite a big risk since the park has stayed with the no-plot pop shows since 2010, but it looks like it has paid off well and just seeing the fireworks online I was quite amazed at what Alton has achieved.

It's quite a basic storyline and cheesy, but lets face it, it isn't Alton Towers without the cheesiness thrown in. ;) The story does work very nicely though and I really hope this weekend works out well for Alton as it would be great to see story lines built on in future!

Also, finally something I've been raving on about for years... fire! Only used once sadly (although I suppose it is a one trick pony) but what an amazing effect it is, especially over the lake. Just, magical! Like the storyline, I hope additional effects like these make a come back or are expanded on in future years.

It looks like fireworks are on the up again! I must say, the ents team have really improved in so many ways this season (I suppose having a creative manager for the park now helps greatly), so well done to all involved with both fireworks and ents this season!

The fire caught everyone by surprise yesterday. It was a very welcome bit of warmth on a very cold day also ;D

I thought the fireworks/lasers/lighting was all extremely impressive and couldn't really have been done much better. What really let it down was the awful contrast between the music and storyline. The most hideous example of this was the diabolical mix of Icona Pop and The Smiler theme which was completely inexplicable and sounded horrible. It seemed to be frank that the "storyline" was simply an alternative method of weaving in the usual pop songs. They merely announced the ride with the dramatic narrative and then, rather than utilise the ride theme/music, played a random pop song which had absolutely no relevance whatsoever to it.

Still, however tenuous, the storyline is certainly better than no storyline.

They are bound to have pop songs in there. Having a show with just ride audio would be dull as hell. Imagine if they used UG Land audio for the corkscrew section! I think using some ride sounds and then pop music worked well and they clearly chose songs that had something to do with smiling or joy.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I wasn't offended by any of the songs. I though they were all well fitted with the theme. I think the show was extremely well thought out and executed excellently. Well done towers, although it's what we should expect. :)

Just in case there is anyone currently at the park reading this I shall not give too much away on the display.

In my opinion it was awesome! It was my first time seeing the show at Alton but we spent 2 days at the park to watch them... To anyone who is at the park reading this before the show today... GET AS CLOSE TO THE FRONT AS YOU CAN! Anyone further back will miss an experience!

Fireworks music cue sheet:

Freedom Fighters - Two Steps From Hell
Palladio - Escala
You Spin Me Round Like A Record - Dead Or Alive (Corkscrew)
Mystical Worlds - Future World Music (Thirteen)
Slam - Pendulum (Nemesis)
Song 1 - Blur (Rita)
Holdin' On - Monsta (Oblivion)
Charlie Brown - Coldplay (Air)
Flight Of Imagination - Future World Music
Smile - Nat King Cole (The Smiler)
I Love It - Icona Pop (The Smiler)
Sweet Nothing - Calvin Harris - Qulinez Remix (The Smiler)
She Wolf - David Guetta (The Smiler)
I Think I Like It - Fake Blood (The Smiler)
Bonkers - Dizzee Rascal (The Smiler)
American Beauty - Thomas Newman
Into The Hall Of The Mountain King - Edvard Grieg (Finale)

Went up yesterday and wow that was excellent, what a great end to the season. The whole display was excellent, and those Smiler fireworks were just amazing. Was a perfect day with clear blue skies and a crisp air. And praise where praise is due, the staff did an EXCELLENT job at the end of the night with regards crowd control and how quickly they managed to clear the car parks. I saw exits open that I never knew even existed!!!! Well done Towers, yesterday you nailed it :eek:)

I loved the whole display and as others have said I thought it was the best it's been since 2010. The music selection complimented the rides imho. I even liked the way they had mashed up the hahahahaha Smiler bit into 'I Love It'. It felt like they'd tried to squeeze a few too many songs into the mash up between the two 'I Love It' sections though.

JAMMYD778 said:

I thought of this post when I saw the smile shape appear in the sky. It looks like this is almost exactly what they used. :)

James said:
Also, finally something I've been raving on about for years... fire! Only used once sadly (although I suppose it is a one trick pony) but what an amazing effect it is, especially over the lake. Just, magical! Like the storyline, I hope additional effects like these make a come back or are expanded on in future years.

It looks like fireworks are on the up again! I must say, the ents team have really improved in so many ways this season (I suppose having a creative manager for the park now helps greatly), so well done to all involved with both fireworks and ents this season!

I agree completely about this fire. It's one of those effects that literally made the audience gasp. When used effectively, fire can really enhance a show. E.g. PortAventura use it rhythically to the beat of some songs during Music Generation.

The Entertainments team have done a fantastic job of the fireworks. Despite being a little cheesy, I think the genuine imitation Peter Dickson worked well to convey the story. The lighting was exceptional, especially the smokey, backlit Towers ruins.