• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2017

bluesonichd

TS Member
Interesting...
3 Day Fireworks are back... ? hmmm o_O
ccxb1Qs.png

What do people think about them spreading the fireworks out? I know it would be a pain with all the temporary lighting needed etc but could they do a show on opening day, one in May and then one on 4th November seeing as that's the only November date showing as open?

I imagine something like a fireworks show takes way too much organising and planning for them to do it repeatedly. It's probably just easier to organise 2-3 days of fireworks.

Also looking at the RR restaurant diary dates, the following dates are showing for the Scarefest event 14th & 15th and the 21st to 29th??????

So it's looking like the 2 big events have been near enough halved in their duration but counter productive to increase profits one would of thought.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I think too much is being taken from the website dates. The likelihood is, they either haven't finalised prices for these specific dates, or don't want to sell tickets, hotel rooms or table reservations so early on when still planning the events.

Feel free to ridicule me by pasting these comments next year if I'm wrong, but if you think about it, it's unlikely that Scarefest won't at least run until 31st of October and Fireworks run until 5th November.

The staff continuously told people to hang around after the show because it would be a nightmare getting out of the carpark. We waiting 1hr 1/2 before even trying to leave, and we still sat in the carpark for 1 hour queueing to get out!

I did see priority vehicles movements both nights. A lane is closed to allow them access, this would of caused some flow issues from the car parks

I don't remember seeing any closed lanes? They was using both lanes from the hotels and all three lanes on the main road. The right hand lane was being diverted into Wootton lane as was the field car parks. They also closed some of the roads on Wootton lane to ensure traffic flowed one way only. They also had people at the main entrance to encourage cars to keep moving. I think they did the best they could on both nights

Last edited:
Good! Hopefully this in in response to the thousands of complaints they got regarding the fireworks last year (all I could see on Facebook and Twitter was complaints!). It was my first time ever going to the fireworks and with nothing but positive experiences to share of Alton Towers, I thought I was in for an absolute treat.

The show itself was fine, but the organising around the show really showed Alton Towers up and in a terrible way. It was obvious very quickly that too many people had been admitted into the park, to the point where we couldn't be bothered to queue for any rides because it was freezing and lines were way too long and we couldn't get into any of the restaurants or cafes because they were packed.

We decided we'd go and get a space early for the fireworks if we weren't going to do much else. Which was all well and good, apart from the fact we stood and absolutely froze for 5 hours with no entertainment, no street entertainers, no music...nothing. Like I said, the show itself was very good. But the experience we had around the show really put a downer on the night.

Right after the show, everyone started moving all at once. There was no lighting at all, no floodlights so you could see where you were going. It was horribly dangerous - you could easily have lost a child and/or been trampled to death. We were informed by a member of staff that there were tens of thousands of people there. It seemed like an absolute money grab on Alton Towers' part, without thinking about visitor experience or safety when selling tickets.

The staff continuously told people to hang around after the show because it would be a nightmare getting out of the carpark. We waiting 1hr 1/2 before even trying to leave, and we still sat in the carpark for 1 hour queueing to get out! The worst part of this being that there was absolutely nothing for us to do whilst we were waiting to leave the park. All restaurants and cafes were absolutely packed to the rafters again, nobody wanted to queue for rides (even though the queues got extremely long very quickly afterwards). Everyone was freezing and just wanted to be inside, but Alton Towers doesn't have enough inside space for people to go to!

I've never had such a bad experience at Alton Towers. It's my girlfriend and I's favourite place so I will not allow it to ruin the place for us, but it certainly was a nightmare experience. I won't be rushing back to the fireworks again. Alton Towers need to seriously re-think this event. I'm hoping the extended fireworks days (3 instead of 2) is just the beginning of that. Next step would be drastically cap entrance from what it was last year! But as I said, I won't be attending the fireworks again.

We went on the Sunday in 2016 and didn't really experience any of these issues. There were slight queues for food in Mutiny Bay, but no worse than I expected and we got food without an issue. Queues were also about what I expected. I also thought the floodlights came on quicker this year compared to previous trips and they had a lot of announcements on the video screen asking guests not to move until the lights are on and explaining there will be a wait for entry to the rear of the park and they you need to wait by Spinball, this was much much clearer than a few years ago. This is the only thing for me that is still main issue at AT fireworks, the wait to get into X Sector and Dark Forest.

Sorry but I don't agree with your nightmare, but my assumption is the fact they only did two nights AND Saturday was the 5th November so it was much busier than other years.

We went on the Sunday in 2016 and didn't really experience any of these issues.................This is the only thing for me that is still main issue at AT fireworks, the wait to get into X Sector and Dark Forest.
With the size of area to cover, i think they check the area as fast as they can.

The only way i see them reopening an area quicker is to have section opening, where all staff check an area e.g. from spinball upto and x sector.
However this would cause problems if they needed emergency vehicles to deal with a firework related issues. As guests would flood the area.

Sunday is traditionally the quietest of the fireworks days, so that probably contributed to your experience. The lights did come back on at the end of the show, and you still could not see anything. It's fine that you don't "agree" with my experience, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'm not sure how you can disagree with someone's personal experience of something - for which you were not there for. An odd statement.

Okay, sorry, I'm not denying you had that experiance, but I would assume the video screen messages about not moving until lights are on and the communication (that was much improved this year) would be the same on both nights?

Also I thought Friday was always the quietest day?

Okay, sorry, I'm not denying you had that experiance, but I would assume the video screen messages about not moving until lights are on and the communication (that was much improved this year) would be the same on both nights?

Also I thought Friday was always the quietest day?

I don't believe there was a Friday show last year. But I can't remember.

I dont think the dates are finalised yet on their website.

I didnt bother going to the fireworks last year (first time in a long time I havent) exactly because they had cut it down to just 2 days so I had anticipated just how hellish it would be there. Glad I didnt go reading peoples reviews and having watched the show on YouTube.

Fireworks HAS to be 3 consecutive days - no ifs, no buts, you cant do it in any less than 3 days if you want the mass of people to be spread out safely over the event while still giving customers time to do the rides, use the facilities etc.

As for Scarefest, 2 weeks is plenty, especially if it means they get some more money to put into themeing and the mazes - but for the sake of everyone - no more ToTT this year!!!

It's only January 9th, I'm sure even Towers management don't have a clue of season dates right now! I can't imagine that there will only be one night of fireworks, that would be somewhat disastrous.

:)

It's only January 9th, I'm sure even Towers management don't have a clue of season dates right now! I can't imagine that there will only be one night of fireworks, that would be somewhat disastrous.

:)

That would HAVE to be prebooked tickets ONLY so they know exactly how many people are being let in.