• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2017

Seeing people posting in the infamous Merlin Annual Pass holders group that they're being told that Passholders may have to pre book for entry into fireworks.
Seems very reasonable to me. This could suggest that they will be turning away people this year, so anyone with a prebooked ticket won't be turned away, perhaps?

If they lower the number of people on park I will be happy, it ruins the day for some people when all rides are on 1-2 hour queues, and I hope they recognise that.

But the more people on park = more money for the park which is a good thing.
The down side is, more people in site. More people needed for the firework support.
Over a set number of guests, the more hired in crowd control staff, more first aid staff, More traffic control staff, Etc.

I'm sure there is a strategy in the max amount of people on park, and it includes stuff such as safety, ride capacity, etc. Merlin see at least 9-12 rides in one day as acceptable, so as long as the queues are short enough to manage that many rides (which lets face it, at fireworks 10-7 is 9 hours, you can do fillers etc) then you meet what they deem value for money. Definitely know it's at Chessington, LL and Thorpe. If you plan your day you can do the big six easily, which is most likely what Merlin see as value for money.

When looting at the hotels I was presented with the notification that the theme park will be closed on the 5th.

There's clearly a major flaw in the hotel booking system, then. Which was noticed ages ago by someone on here and still hasn't been fixed!

Damn, beat me to it Delta!
I just can't work out why they are limiting the fireworks to 2 nights.
If they were so popular last year, why not take things back to how they were before the cuts, lots of schools will be off for half term this year on the friday, this individual cut seems to be against the clear "profit at all costs" Merlin mantra.

If they were so popular last year...
If they got away with two nights last year, there's no reason for them to spend more money this year. Or ever again.

Damn, beat me to it Delta!
If they were so popular last year, why not take things back to how they were before the cuts, lots of schools will be off for half term this year on the friday, this individual cut seems to be against the clear "profit at all costs" Merlin mantra.

Half term in Shropshire is 23rd to 25th October 2017, which will be a full week of ScareFest. Local kids are back at school the following week so daytime on the Friday for fireworks was always quiet, hence them not seeing it as a priority.

Lancashire schools have half term
the 30th to 3rd so there will be kids off that week, but AT only ever look at their own county.

Although I'm normally against OTT marketing (resort this, resort that), I could make an exception for fireworks this year. AT will have a huge captive audience whose attention will be fully focused on the event on the last 2 days of the season.

If I were them, I would theme the fireworks to the Secret Weapons, beginning with a huge SW8 firework sign at the start, working through the SW series from Nemesis to the Smiler, and end with a big reveal of the SW8 name, music and imagery. I'd leave them desperately wanting to experience the new ride. I'd market it to family thrill and get the kids (let's face it, they're the ones really in charge) to badger to their parents to bring them back.

I'd merchandise the hell out of it too, selling SW8 t shirts, hoodies, etc (at a marked up price) with the promise of a "free" T Shirt, hoodie, etc with the rides real name only available in park next season upon presentation of a paid entry ticket and a receipt for the SW8 shirt or hoodie. I'd even have limited edition style shirts and hoodies that would be available only on specific days or with multiple visits. The rarest would require say 10 admission tickets. Oh and maybe a family ticket, say two adult and two kids SW8 shirts for £120 with a real name shirt with receipt and family ticket next season.

Am I evil enough to work in Merlin''s marketing department?

Last edited: