• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks 2023 🎆

The Stoke Sentinel have tonight shared that this year’s Firework display will have a fantasy fairytale adventure theme.

The display will also feature “a surprise element that has never been used in the history of the event.”

Link here: https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/alton-towers-stage-uks-biggest-8861378.amp
What an awfully written article. Reads like Merlin wrote it.

I’m taking my parents to fireworks this year on the Friday and I can’t wait. It took a lot of convincing to drag my parents along; my dad hasn’t been since 2004 and my mum refused to visit ever since the park decided to put down the animals in the farm due to foot and mouth.

They’ll both be seeing a very different park for sure, but we’ll have a great time on the nostalgia front whilst I introduce them to all the changes they’ve missed.

The theme for fireworks certainly sounds interesting and I’m certainly hoping this signals a change from the usual 3 minute per coaster segment shite we had last year.

Tickets are still available to book on the
It may sound like a daft question, but how busy does Fireworks get? Never been, going on the Saturday, the busiest day 😂
They cap capacity now, so it's not as bad as it used to be. Expect it to be busy still though, with queues of 90 minutes plus for the larger rides. The likes of Galactica and Wicker Man will likely hit 100-150 minutes. Queue length will increase especially for Wickerman as it starts to get dark, and don't forget areas around the Towers will close early to allow them to be cleared in time for the show at 7pm. Also bear in mind rides in those areas will close earlier to account for running down the queues that they have in time for them to be cleared.

Basically, don't expecting to get a shed load of rides done. Soak up the atmosphere, it's always good fun though!

Quite frankly, at this point the park and Jubilee have earned the right to do whatever they feel like with this event and have nobody remotely concerned about the final result. It's the best firework display in the country year after year.

It's the best overall firework show in the country - it certainly isn't the best firework display. Jubilee seem to have less and less influence year on year also, with other areas utilising their previous budget - e.g. the drone display pre-show last year and the flame & CO2 effects of the years prior.

Ultimately the park convey their idea for the show to the various contractors and then they all work together to produce something that comes within budget and is on theme.

It's the best overall firework show in the country - it certainly isn't the best firework display. Jubilee seem to have less and less influence year on year also, with other areas utilising their previous budget - e.g. the drone display pre-show last year and the flame & CO2 effects of the years prior.

Ultimately the park convey their idea for the show to the various contractors and then they all work together to produce something that comes within budget and is on theme.

To be fair to Alton Towers. Their end of season show has never just been about fireworks. They were broadining the horizon and raising the bar in what is possible in a multimedia entertainment display, 30 years ago. Something which they still do to this day.

The drones are relatively cheap and easy to implement into a display. Equipment is rented and operated by professionals, like your lights and PA would be.

Maybe the budget has been cut in recent years, show elements such as the wickerman flames in 2018 and the enterprise like rig in 2015, would cost far more to implement than drones so I would suggest the opposite may have happened. Where less money is going on non perishable show elements in the last few years.

Back in the later Tussauds days. 2003 to 2004 sort of time, pyrotechnics had a £30,000 budget per show. Flame machines, lighting, PA and all the other show elements were ontop of that cost. All the non perishable equipment basically.

I remeber the one year, it may have just been after the shows restarted from the Roper drama, the audio setup was arranged into a cardio array setup. In simple terms, speakers are arranged in such a way that the lawn volume and decibels are very loud. Speakers are arranged in such a way that the physical wavelengths cancel each other out, at a pre dermined point (usually just off site or near the edge of the site). Ensuring off site audio levels are minimal to non existent, while maintaining very loud audio within the arena so to speak.

Very clever stuff. The same will happen if you get two waves at the right point in your bath, you can't argue with physics. This lovely technology is just recently making it's way to consumers in the form of noise canceling headphones.

Turning the volume down is simply not an option. It never has been. Hence the development of this tech.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20231029-113827.pngScreenshot_20231029-113745.png
So I am really confused because if I go on the normal "book tickets" section they are more expensive than if i go on the fireworks tab, does anyone know why this is? do both tickets do the same?

It's a 'glitch' get 'em booked at the cheaper price before they realise and increase it.

They pulled the Sat tickets a few days ago and then loaded more availability at a cheaper price!

I cocked up buying fireworkds tickets, I bought 2 tickets for the 1st instead of the 3rd (my fault, forgot to change the date) and I can't swap for a fireworks date since the 1st is a normal day so had to buy a new set of tickets.

Would towers let me refund the first set or have I basically just wasted my money on tickets we can't use?

I cocked up buying fireworkds tickets, I bought 2 tickets for the 1st instead of the 3rd (my fault, forgot to change the date) and I can't swap for a fireworks date since the 1st is a normal day so had to buy a new set of tickets.

Would towers let me refund the first set or have I basically just wasted my money on tickets we can't use?
All tickets are non refundable according to Terms and Conditions unfortunately. Maybe it’s still worth an email or message but I doubt they will be able to do anything in reality.