• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fireworks

For the entire show, I had my fingers crossed that the awful music would cut out for a few seconds and then the Ministry of Joy and Dr Kelman would take over.

I wanted them to carry out an experiment using hypnosis and weapons to induce mass-hysteria in which he could then attempt to cure with some bizarre treatment, only for it to go wrong and then Dr Kelman could then have explained to everyone that his trials were ineffective and the only way to fix the errors would be to come back next year and #getcorrected in the new machine that the Ministry have been constructing, or something.

It would have been so immense and such a shock!

But then ItHotMK started playing and I got that sinking feeling that I'm getting all too often now with Merlin's attractions. :/

I would have loved the MOJ to have "intercepted" the show. Have the spinning face everywhere, over towers and the shops on towers streets and where the lasers are, just everywhere.

They could use the creepy music used in the sanctuary queueline, essentially they missed a trick not advertising the new ride in some way in the fireworks show, I mean today 32000 are meant to be on park to watch it!

I totally agree with DiogoJ42. This year seemed the least inspired display I have seen in a while. It just wasn't special. The audience weren't even sure when it finished if that was the end. No Big Bang ending.

Even the warm up didn't inspire the crowd. The music they played, one of our group kept saying 'tune' but I'd never heard of it, and most of the crowd hadn't. I would have at least expected Gangnam style. They needed more cheesy but fun tunes rather than just bland pop.

I was also expecting something MOJ esq within it. Even if it was a soundbite telling you all to SMILE. Or some smiley face fireworks that you see occasionally.

After having a quick flick through a YouTube video I must say this years fireworks look a bit, erm, unimaginative.

They've used the same Peter Dickson voice over as last year. It's not even a varied recording, it's the exact same, just with '2011' taken out. The music is all pop, no variety at all, not a bit of Queen thrown in, a bit of 90s/80s cheese - nothing. Judging by the videos too the fireworks don't seem that in sync with the music? It doesn't seem as fluid as previous years.

I think they're going more a step back each year rather than forwards. Many man hours were put into the playlist and so on, but the actual show itself seems so lazy. Where's the good old firework shows from the 90s/early 00s gone? They really need some more imaginative next year.

Blink and you'll miss it sw7 firework marketing!! ;)

BBD63D02-2462-403F-9BDD-952A5D5F4907-2660-00000300739F9858.jpg

I have to say I thought they would use the situation as a prime SW7 marketing slot. Not only are you going to have this popping up all over YouTube but guests will talk, enthusiasts will get very excited and it would show some imagination from the relevant teams. The fireworks are far from bad... you should go down my village where there are a load of bumpkins setting them off with candles!

I really wanted to go this year but couldn't get the time off. It still looks an epic show but I personally don't think it matches that of previous events! They still have 2 nights to possibly prove us wrong!

I went to the fireworks for the first time yesterday. But I’ve seen the previous two years shows on video and honestly I kind of wished I hadn't. This year’s looked quite bland in comparison.

Just like BigAl I got a sinking feeling when In the Hall of the Mountain King started playing because it signified that the show was already at its finale despite playing nothing but bland pop music. And not even pop music you could time fireworks to, it was just background sound with only one or two moments striking enough to lend themselves to a fireworks display. So naturally when ITHOTMK came on it blew everything else out the waters just because it let the fireworks do something interesting.

And what happened to the Smiley Face logo that was projected on the Towers only the night before? Why remove it?

But overall I enjoyed it. I went to the towers to get a few more rides in before closure, see SW7's track and construction site and hear ITHOTMK played in a proper fireworks display which is what I got. If this hadn't been my first occasion I probably would have been quite disappointed but instead I was content.

And for those that are there at the moment. Why are you reading this? The shows about to start!

I'm just standing by my bedroom window now, and the fireworks make Alton sound like a frigging warzone! It's bloody loud! No wonder the villagers complained!

Sounds like they tried to repeat last year but missed all the things that actually made it work as brilliantly as it did.

And made it shorter.

Two words to describe Alton's fireworks this year.

OH DEAR.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Alton towers need to take a leaf out of EP's book and use some symphonic metal instead of pop! Sounds much more 'epic'!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Yes it was a bit of a let down, but just to point out as its really annoying me in people's reviews and thoughts....

It was NOT all Pop Music.

I didnt see it... But either way... ALL THE COMPLAINTS!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, please excuse any ridiculous mistakes!

Equinox said:

Agreed. Blur & a few others featured in the show, and whilst it was predominantly 'pop' music, not every second, as some people are making out, was as such.

I have to say, I, for one, enjoyed the fireworks. Everyone else, GP wise, seemed to agree too, which says to myself, Alton Towers did a damn good job - they pleased the majority of guests!

I think, sometimes, we expect too much as enthusiasts. I agree they could have built on last years, or previous displays, and featured SW7 etc etc, but at the end of the day, it's a firework display, to please thousands of paying guests, and that's just what they did - quite successfully!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

T said:
Equinox said:

Agreed. Blur & a few others featured in the show, and whilst it was predominantly 'pop' music, not every second, as some people are making out, was as such.

I have to say, I, for one, enjoyed the fireworks. Everyone else, GP wise, seemed to agree too, which says to myself, Alton Towers did a damn good job - they pleased the majority of guests!

I think, sometimes, we expect too much as enthusiasts. I agree they could have built on last years, or previous displays, and featured SW7 etc etc, but at the end of the day, it's a firework display, to please thousands of paying guests, and that's just what they did - quite successfully!

That's a pretty good summary of it to be fair.... I expected a lot more but can still see that the show pleased lots of guests. My partner thought they were awsome and still doesn't understand why I'm not happy with it and not being an enthusiast like myself can't see the other stuff.

I thought differently to be honest. The majority of people I heard last night was either saying "Was that it?", "What the f*** was all that?" or just generally "Well that was s***".

I've not been to the fireworks for ages but the time I last went they where amazing! It sounds this time round m£rlin cut backs are again in the fore front of m£rlins cost cutting mind!

Stevie said:
I thought differently to be honest. The majority of people I heard last night was either saying "Was that it?", "What the f*** was all that?" or just generally "Well that was s***".
Maybe those people were small minded? I absolutely detest the line "was that it?". It's a line, commonly used by people who try to look 'cool' in front of their friends, family and other associates, for their (somehow) pleasure...

It was by no means 'sh1t', nor was it a short display, as the above lines indicate they believed it was. Also, "what the f*** was that?" - there's a simple answer..... A firework display.

What is it that you guys believe was missing, that stopped it being rubbish, boring, sh1t, tedious, or any other words you may have used, and more enjoyable? Genuine answers, please!