• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

First SW to be Removed?

Is a nemesis retrack technically removing the ride?

Not really since the chain lift and station is still going to be there, all they need to do to resolve the increasing rattle is just either get new wheels or just retrack it with its original hand drawn blueprint since a computer model will most likely remove most of its intensity such as the whippy corkscrew, and it's iconic howl.

Do you think with Nemesis been re-tracked will we see Oblivion also re-tracked when the time comes or just removed?

I think they will want to keep Oblivion - it is iconic in its own right. Galactica on the other hand I think will be removed when the time comes - it already feels like a second tier attraction to me.

With regards to Oblivion, I can't see a track replacement happening purely for practical reasons. When it was built they dug a huge trench, installed the track, then filled in the hole on top of it - getting the track out again is surely no easy feat. Similarly the new track would most likely have to be installed in short enough sections that it could be brought in through the tunnel openings. The (surely cost-prohibitive) alternative would be to re-excavate the entire thing.

I think they will want to keep Oblivion - it is iconic in its own right. Galactica on the other hand I think will be removed when the time comes - it already feels like a second tier attraction to me.
Agreed. I think it's the weakest of the Big 7. Even Rita has more quality to it

I was thinking Galactica been moved next as really it’s just Air again with some theming added.
I was even gonna say that the Smiler would be removed or changed before they decide on Oblivion future.

The thing is, Galactica is still very popular and going by queue times data is more popular than Nemisis given how long people are prepared to wait to ride it.

I do think Galactica will still be the first to go (Rita wasn't a SW to my knowledge). Just by the logic of both age, location, area size.

Lots of hate for Galactica - I really enjoy it! I rode it in the dark after fireworks last year and it felt like you going on a proper adventure, and the last section of the ride where you’re swooping through the trees is a great sensation.
It’s one of those rides that provides a great experience for those that don’t like intensity and thrill.

Back on topic I really can’t see any SWs being removed in the near future. All SWs required major groundwork and each site they occupy is bespoke to the ride, albeit a bit less so for Thirteen and The Smiler. Spinball and Rita will go before any SW, but if I had to pick the first SW to be removed I’d go for Thirteen. It still feels too much like a prototype and it’s reliability is pathetic.

As much as people always talk about Nemesis being an “unpopular” SW, I always think Oblivion seems to have dropped in popularity far more out of the two 90s B&Ms, in spite of the fact that it has what is arguably the park’s joint most popular coaster right next to it. I know Oblivion’s throughput is higher, but compared to Smiler in the same area, there always seems to be considerably less people in the queue, and I’d also extend that to say that its queue often seems to have comparatively few people in it compared to some of the other coaster queues on park.

I’ll always remember Wicker Man’s opening weekend in 2018 as a good example of this; on the Saturday evening, my sister and I went to ride Oblivion, and it was walk-on and literally waiting for riders to dispatch the shuttle. On the same evening, Smiler had a solid 90 minute queue that was bursting out of the pit.

I know Oblivion’s throughput is higher than Smiler’s, but I don’t think throughput alone can explain that one…

In terms of the thread title; I’m certainly in agreement with those thinking that Spinball & Rita will probably both go before any SW. They’re far less bespoke, and I’m not sure what their general guest feedback scores are like. And to be honest, I’d be quite content with that; I genuinely don’t think I’d lose any sleep if Spinball was removed tomorrow, as I’m not a huge fan of it at all (perhaps controversially, it’s my least favourite coaster on park bar Octonauts), and while I personally like Rita a lot, I’m willing to accept that I’m in the minority there, and they probably could use it as a sacrificial lamb to put something more universally loved in that space. In terms of an SW, though; I’m really not sure!

Sorry, I haven’t really answered the question there…

I could see Galactica being removed first. would be easy to close the area off and redevelop it for a whole new area including a new SW, maybe convert the carpark too

Galactica is definitely the weaker of the three B&M's at the park for me but it's still a very popular attraction.

Hard to see Blivy going anywhere due to it's location and taking it out doesn't leave much room for something else anyway. I suspect we will see a Nemesis type refurb on Blivy one day.

Nemmy is obviously here to stay now. Thank the lord !!!!!

Galactica due to it's location is definitely the most likely to go but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Have to bring this thread back to life but I have to throw my hat in the ring on this topic. In terms on non SW rides, Spinball and Rita will most likely be the first to go though the former I suspect will be thr first to go.

In terms of SW rides however, going to be controversial but I'm calling Thirteen to go first and not Galactica/Air as what everyone else seems to think. It seems the maintenance side of things is why everyone feels that it is doomed and I can see where they are coming from however with technology on these rides always improving to make flying coasters less of a hassle to maintain and if they were to give that ride such a major overhaul a la Nemesis then it would certainly be here to stay.

Also it does prove to be the good step up middle ride from between RMT to Nemesis and regardless what you say, it is still a popular ride.

Anyway for Thirteen, it's downtime and reliability issues makes Galactica look far better in terms of an operation point of view despite being an older ride and with it having such a negative opening if you remember, albeit thanks to marketing at the time, and such a lacklustre outdoor layout which many will point out feels so much like a prototype, it all adds up to the ride looking to be doomed.

Honestly, I wouldn't lose sleep if Thirteen went though if they were to rebuild the whole outdoor layout to be a bit more adventurous to make the most of the surrounding forrest which it fails to do so. Or there is my idea of moving the ride over to Gloomy Wood (with a far different layout there obviously) which is always my personal choice but one that will never happen, them again it wouldn't be the first time Towers have shifted rides around the park... ;)

If there was a rebuild or removal of Thirteen, I wonder if there would be a chance to see Rita get something done with it as this whole retracting with Nemesis if successful might even have the Merlin gimmick machine to go into overdrive with a 'remastered' series with that whole 'they're back bigger and better than before' BS which would go with it. With Nemesis, they might want to 'remaster' Oblivion next with the floorless system and back row facing backwards as some have mentioned already, something with Galactica (return to Air with all that theming that should have been!) And you get the picture.

Though I have said about Rita being likely to go next...I do mean in its current form. Thing with Rita is that I wonder if a retrack program of it might happen in which has a different and improved layout with its launch system modified to be more easier to maintain as if I remember it's layout was hemmed in thanks to Corkscrew being there but with it gone, they might be willing to add a few more features such as a second launch, the odd inversion or maybe make it faster if they want to market it as now being the fastest coaster in the UK?

If Intamin are involved then perhaps some of the footers, mostly in the opening launch section, can still be used to cut down on construction costs like with Nemesis and just imagine a modified Rita and Thirteen interacting through the forrest together creating quite a fun element there. Then again the entire Dark Forrest has to go IMO but that's going off topic, but who's ton say we might see a 'remastered' program with the other SW rides following Nemesis' overhaul?

I also hope Thirteen leaves before Galactica so they can turn the area into something better than the cesspit it currently is. It would be logistically easier to remove thirteen too, and I don’t think it would be missed as much if Galactica went.

There is a perfect free fall drop ride in X Sector.