Flamingo Land: General Discussion

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by soundwave96, 13th Jun 2012.

1. NuttySquirrel

NuttySquirrel TowersStreet Member

Solution: Hit pause, max out your borrowing capacity and chuck down a few cheap flat rides to improve cashflow. And maybe a chicken stand?

jon81uk, Poisson, James5696 and 5 others like this.
  2. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Increase prices on umbrellas too.

3. NuttySquirrel

Hope someone at 'Mingo Land is clocking all this! :D

MaxPower and jon81uk like this.
  4. Themepark-newbie

Themepark-newbie TowersStreet Member

Isn't that exactly what Drayton Manor has just done?

5. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

They only refurbished the chicken stand, it was already there. :p

6. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    New coaster looks complete and has wheel marks on the track. Workers on site today.

7. NuttySquirrel

Guess they took our RCT-based advice and managed to raise some funds then :D

I'm in Yorkshire next week - worth a visit, or not right now?

JAperson and Funcone like this.
  8. Poisson

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    It's not good. Honestly for 40 quid really not good. Park was quiet so I understand why it felt a bit flat but they had 4 coasters down until 2pm (Runaway Mine Train, Go Gator, Kumali and Dino Roller) with Go Gator slated to open at 2 (unsure as I didn't go near) and they were working on Kumali and Runaway Mine Train the entire time I was there with Runaway opening just after 2.

Rides that I did: Velocity. Rattled a bit and the launch was underwhelming. This was my first ride on it in 15 years and the only ride I did today that I'd done before. Only one train in sight so throughput would be baaad if there was any sort of numbers
    Hero. Pile of junk. Rattled, banged, unpleasant. Not the worst ride I've ever done and not even the most painful I've ever done at Mingo but urgh.
    Mumbo Jumbo. Shoulder killer and also very unpleasant. Really strikes me if they got Gerst to build some cars for it that it'd be a good ride, but the S&S ones make it awful.
    Zooom! Plodding. Shuffling. Swing action very poor (lack of damper maintenance?)
    Twistosaurus. Possibly the worst full size SBF Visa I have done, poor layout but not harmful.
    Pterodactyl. Enjoyable enough, decent speed on the spin.
    Runaway Mine Train. Not Zamperla's finest hour. I thought at first it was the Big Country Motioneering mine train but that is at Billing. Poor banking, slammed the lift.

Other things seen but CBA: S&S Shot and Drop Tower, Pirate Ship, Rockin Tug, a broken train, a broken monorail, big flume ride, Grand Prix style ride. If you can get in for £20 and be happy to do 3 or 4 hours and leave, maybe yes. Full price? No. Not unless you're cred hunting.

NuttySquirrel, Matt N and JAperson like this.
  9. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    They only bought one train for Velocity.

Your experience sounds very typical of many I've read this season. I've never had a bad day there, but even when you're having a good day, it doesn't take too much imagination to see how it could be horrible.

MaxPower, Poisson and Dipper_Dave like this.
  10. NuttySquirrel

Thanks for the write up @Poisson. It's a shame as I'm rarely this far up north and it would be nice to tick it off but £40ea seems extortionate. Not found any discount codes or deals that we might be able to use either. Debating turning up at the ticket office and trying to haggle :tearsofjoy: Something like "let us in for £25 and we'll buy lunch and spend money in your gift shop" maybe?

11. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Not a chance.
    Mingo has never been great for offers, even for locals, but this year there have been none.

12. Poisson

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    I hate to say it but I was bored after an hour. Nothing worth re-riding. You're right in saying it has serious bork potential if it's busy, must be an utter nightmare.

JAperson likes this.
  13. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    An "update" from the park on the new coaster:

Matt N and JAperson like this.
  14. Dipper_Dave

Dipper_Dave TowersStreet Member

“Aiming for next Summer but can’t promise that yet”. Great, could be looking at 2023 then

MaxPower likes this.
  15. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    An entire decade will have passed, three different locations and this coaster STILL won't have operated.

Poisson, MaxPower and JAperson like this.
  16. venny

venny TowersStreet Member

I do feel like Flamingoland are passing up quite the opportunity to properly build up this coaster. I know there are quite a few people are quite excited to ride the “better Colossus”, but it seems that either they’ve given up on marketing or they’re too embarrassed by the perpetual delays they’ve induced to even bother marketing the thing yet.

They probably have an opportunity to excite the community in the same way Drayton Manor seem to have with a few mediocre additions. An opportunity they’re going to miss I feel.

17. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    @venny Have Flamingo Land ever been any good at this? I don't recall new attractions ever being hyped and usually open with a whimper.

They don't have to try too hard to get folks through the gate ... And they don't. They'd be pretty screwed from a capacity perspective if they had a full holiday park and the same number twice over in day visitors.

18. venny

venny TowersStreet Member

You’re right, but I’m pretty sure they’re also not bothered by having even longer queues in the park from the higher attendance better marketing would bring.

It just seems like such a blatant opportunity to pass up to get more people into the park. There’s no way their business plan involves restricting attendance to improve guest experience.

Then again, I’m assuming they have a plan…

19. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    There's no guarantee this thing will even open. They are probably more worried about that than marketing the ride to be fair. If this thing never opens it could put them out of business.

JAperson likes this.
  20. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

I reckon Colossus might be gone by the time this thing finally opens, so perhaps they're just biding their time for a UK exclusive?

MaxPower and Rick like this.