• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Florida 2018: 'The Skyscraper' - Intamin - world's tallest coaster

Some of those turns/transitions look too tight to be fabricated perfectly. I'm willing to bet this thing will have a lot of "Smiler cobra roll" sections.

I don't understand the seemingly widespread hate for S&S coasters here. It's true that certain S&S rides have a history of being unreliable (mainly due to their tendency of using air for everything whether appropriate or not) but their El Loco models have been pretty robust from what I can tell.

What baffles me most though is how so many write off all of their coasters as poor when the only S&S coaster in the UK is Mumbo Jumbo which I actually think is alright. It certainly rides smoother and feels better put together than any Gerstlauer product I've ridden.

Looking further afield, Bullet Coaster at Happy Valley Shenzhen is probably the best launch coaster I've been on. It has better trains and restraints than Intamin versions, it's smoother too and has a decent layout beyond the top hat. It's unlikely to be topping international coaster polls anytime soon but if it were built in the UK it would be a much celebrated coaster.
It was a joke. Mainly based on the omni-shambles called "RingRacer". And the fact that Mumbo Jumbo is such a heap of utter garbage that it makes Kumali look world-class. (in my opinion)

Seeing as jokes aren't allowed, I do genuinely think this looks like an amazing ride and it makes me feel a little better that I probably won't be able to get over to Orlando for a couple of years! There are points where it seems to slow down of its own accord, so I wouldn't worry too much about blocks and throughput.

How popular an area is this going to be built in? Does it *need* to get 2000pph?

A more comprehensive video showing a full but fragmented between off ride angles, POV has been released. I've counted nine inversions, but one or two are debatable. Still not liking the look of the OTSRs.

Video by TPR .

As for the coaster not being built, there's nothing to suggest otherwise. Ground has been broken now, with the only slightly ambitious aspect in my eyes is whole complex being ready to open for 2016.

Last edited:
Sadly I'm lacking audio at present, so I'll have missed that. Still quite a respectable amount to be thrown in and a nice variation.

Just epic. Tallest coaster in the world, highest inversion in the world, steepest/highest drop in the world I think he said as well, over 4 minutes long, doing over 60 mph as it exits the tower and goes speeding up i-drive (that's right?).

PLEASE S&S do this right! It'll be a massive shame if this gets "Smilered".

This kind of crazy innovation, of almost letting kids lose with a paper and pencil style coaster has been arguably missing since Kingda Ka.

And just for the lolz I want to see Alton Towers put in a planning application for a clone of this on the air car park :D

This kind of crazy innovation, of almost letting kids lose with a paper and pencil style coaster has been arguably missing since Kingda Ka.

Kingda Ka was just a taller and arguably worse (no lapbars, no layout after drop) version of the three year old Xcelerator. I'd say this was more akin to the first time we saw the Intamin Blitz coasters, or indeed the first RMC.

PLEASE S&S do this right! It'll be a massive shame if this gets "Smilered".

And just for the lolz I want to see Alton Towers put in a planning application for a clone of this on the air car park :D

I agree with both these points, especially the latter! Would be hilarious to see the look on the face's of the Staffordshire Moorlands Council planning officers as well as the locals! :p

Kingda Ka was just a taller and arguably worse (no lapbars, no layout after drop) version of the three year old Xcelerator. I'd say this was more akin to the first time we saw the Intamin Blitz coasters, or indeed the first RMC.

I agree that the crazy innovation is present here more so than in Kingda Ka but without having ridden Xcelerator I do have to dispute saying that Kingda Ka is a worse version! Ok the OTSRs are annoying (especially when TTD has lap bars also) but considering the launch on Xcelerator is practically the same as that on Stealth there is no comparisio! Ka was built purely for the speed and the height, not the all round good long layout coaster. And it does that incredibly well, the speed is something else, ~80mph feels rather slow and boring after you've done 128mph!

:)

I think the thing looks like a monstrosity. Granted it will be fun to ride, but I feel bad for anyone living within a 15 mile radius.

I think the thing looks like a monstrosity. Granted it will be fun to ride, but I feel bad for anyone living within a 15 mile radius.

You wouldn't want to see that in the distance? Let's also remember this is America, really, this thing is small.

There's a Merlin Eye up the road... I know which I'd rather look at.

You wouldn't want to see that in the distance? Let's also remember this is America, really, this thing is small.

There's a Merlin Eye up the road... I know which I'd rather look at.

I can only assume you're implying you'd rather look at this monstrosity. I would choose a glorified Ferris wheel any day of the week ;)

I can only assume you're implying you'd rather look at this monstrosity. I would choose a glorified Ferris wheel any day of the week ;)

Then we must agree to differ on our tastes lol - but given as a ride I cannot stand air as it makes me feel rough I guess we are just on "polar" *groan* opposites lol :D

Its been announced today that Intamin are now building the project inc the Coaster (S&S now longer involved and the tower still being designed by US thrill rides but built by intamin) plus they have announced an additional attraction attached to the tower, the Worlds tallest drop tower at 450ft called Skyfall (also Intamin)

So a step...sideways in quality and smoothness?

Where's the drop tower going? Hopefully on the outside of the tower, facing outwards!

:)