• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage 2014

I ended up eating at FCC on Saturday, and opted for the boneless meal. It was adequate, but nothing special. I'd originally planned to go to Woodcutters, but when Joe and I walked past it, we saw the queue was out of the door, and we thought 'Sod it', and went to FCC instead. Now I've heard of the price rises there, I'm glad I didn't bother going in there, even though it's one of my favourite places to eat on park.

What I think is worse is what they've done to Mexican Cantina. I've gone in there on each Sunday of the past three Fireworks meets, and I've noticed that the choice has got even smaller each time I've been. It's disappointing to see this reduction in choice, and I won't be returning to Mexican Cantina until things improve, which I concede is very unlikely.

On a slightly more positive note, if the price for Explorers has only gone up by 20p, then I'd say that's a reasonable increase, provided that the choice of what's available is largely the same or better than last year.

I'm starting to wonder what we'll end up with next year in terms of F&B choices now...

jon81uk said:
Woodcutters has toilets directly outside so doesn't need it's own.

Because carrying a nappy changing bag, probably the push chair as well, and a crying baby is convenient. It can be a challenge in baby friendly restaurants at the best of times.

If planning permission is an issue, then I think they missed a trick with the Burger Kitchen. They should of turned that in to a larger Woodcutters, and turned Woodcutters in to a Burger Kitchen. Its easier to eat a Burger out of a bag in the courtyard, than a steak or ribs.

Does anyone know if Burger Kitchen in Cloud Cuckoo Land or The Fried Chicken Co have baby changing units.

Just had a quick look at the Towers Street Food Outlet section, and I know this may seem silly, but it could be useful to include information such as toilets/baby changing facilities as some parts need updating for the current season anyway?

Thanks,

Ian

I think all toilets have baby changing facilities? Pretty certain Burger Kitchen does anyway.

I thought when Burger King was destined to go it was a golden opportunity to turn that building back into a family restaurant with a variety of meals. The size of the restaurant is quite fitting for something like that.

IanB said:
Just had a quick look at the Towers Street Food Outlet section, and I know this may seem silly, but it could be useful to include information such as toilets/baby changing facilities as some parts need updating for the current season anyway?
We're in the process of developing some information for families visiting the resort - I'm sure this will feature somewhere :)

I payed £6.50 for a chicken burger, chips and a fizzy drink on Saturday with no MAP, I feel this was quite pricey imo.

Unsure if this has been mentioned but Flambo's in the evening no longer includes free drinks for adults. A refillable drink is now £3.95 (effectively wiping out the MAP discount and making it dear for non MAP). Unsure when this was brought in but pretty sure soft drinks were free in the evening for at least some of 2013.

I think its a steak pasty or two for me when i go tomorrow and a wetherspoons burger and pint for £5-6 on the way home.

Enk27 said:
Unsure if this has been mentioned but Flambo's in the evening no longer includes free drinks for adults. A refillable drink is now £3.95 (effectively wiping out the MAP discount and making it dear for non MAP). Unsure when this was brought in but pretty sure soft drinks were free in the evening for at least some of 2013.

We didn't get drinks included in July 2013 so I think it changed early 2013. I guess it is partly to encourage alcohol sales rather than unlimited refills, but they could have cut the price of the buffet as a result!

MattyH said:
I payed £6.50 for a chicken burger, chips and a fizzy drink on Saturday with no MAP, I feel this was quite pricey imo.

I think Alton Towers took the same pricing structure that was used by Burger King when they were in AT but the Burger Kitchen burger isn't as good as a Whopper. I remeber when McDonalds were in the park they were much cheaper, Burger King seem to inflate prices for theme parks, service stations and rail stations by £1 or more whereas McDonalds only change them by pence.

Should had mentioned that was in chicken co. All credit to the staff, they kept the line moving swiftly and efficiently.

jon81uk said:
Enk27 said:

We didn't get drinks included in July 2013 so I think it changed early 2013. I guess it is partly to encourage alcohol sales rather than unlimited refills, but they could have cut the price of the buffet as a result! ]

That makes sense, the last time we dined there (and bought soft drinks) was in May 2013. Since that point we have purchased drinks in Margs and then gone downstairs.

£20.00 for just the Buffet isn't really a good deal tbh particularly when you consider the reduction in choice. Much rather then that on a decent meal at the Secret Garden (providing you can still get a decent meal at the Secret Garden?)

I thought drinks were still included as of last year, but then I'm probably going back to May time?

The buffet AND Secret Garden are both expensive meals (when you consider the price of 2 or even 3 courses in the SGR).

I always thought the buffet wasn't bad value considering you get unlimited helpings of three courses for £20. It was better value when it was around £17.50 but after AP discount its currently only £16 which is fine for three courses and a lot cheaper than Secret Garden (the menu has never appealed as doesn't look that special).
However the last time I visited Flambo's was July 2013 before they put the new counters in so it may be much different now!

Re: Food & Beverage 2014

Flambo's seems to get mixed rep lately. Last year when I went I got really put off by the choice and quality but I know that more recently people have said that the food selection and choices have improved once again.

Like you said though, for a three course meal it isn't actually bad value.

Flambos is meh as it's a cut down selection since they've changed the layout.

SGR is top knotch though. Menu might not sound interesting but the food is absolute sublime. And I always walk away feeling full with a bill cheaper than Flambos.

I'd much rather eat in Secret Garden than Flambos. I've eaten in Flambos a few times now, all fairly recently. I don't think I ate there before it was changed. I find the selection pretty uninspiring, and always end up eating very little, so I never get value for money. You also wait forever for drinks in there, and it's usually crammed with kids.

Secret Garden, on the other hand, usually has a much nicer atmosphere for adults. The food has always been good when I've eaten there, the drinks are served quickly and I tend to get much better, as more food for my money there.

Flambos is great for breakfast though!

5 of us ate in SG on the weekend and it was top notch. The service was excellent, it wasnt too busy in there, and the food was fantastic.

I had the burger which was like a door stop, and the relish with it was sublime. Others had pasta, steak and all said it was very good. Desserts were also excellent. For all of us, with drinks, and 2 course meals, it came to about £80 with the AP discount - £16 each - now you cant call that bad value for money at all.

Wish I had gone, the food and service at Blacksmith's was really bad on Saturday :(

I dont rate the Blacksmith's at all to be honest. Last time I ate there, it was something like £10 for a burger.... just a burger.... the fries were extra!!! Fair play to SG, the food, atmosphere and service was top notch.

I'm quite fond of the Blacksmith's. It's certainly on the higher end of the price scale, but I've always found the quality to be equally as high, and the service has always been impeccable and welcoming in my experience, even when some 25 of us swamped the place out of the blue on what they were probably expecting would be an empty February weekend :p