• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage: The Aramark Era begins

They’ve always been in various places ever since they started offering WiFi.

Yeah there's been some there for a while, but right across the park there were a fair few new ones which've cropped up. Considering that the old network was...iffy to say the least across the duration of last season I think it's fairly likely these are their replacements.
Yeah this one was brand new, you could tell as the pole it was on was shiny and all the cabling was fresh and not covered in cobwebs and dirt!

Yeah there are a load of them across the park, unlike the old Wi-Fi they now stick out like a sore thumb, there’s one near galactica on a giant lamp post.

On to RCR you can still pay with cash, or if you have annual pass and stuff you pay at the end like normal. Or just pay on your phone with Apple Pay or card

Although I agree this is yet another cost saving downgrade, I'm sure they'll run one of the tablets over or even take your order for you should they need to. They'd need to have some sort of system in place for people who are visually impaired for example. But you know they'll only do that begrudgingly.

I'm not against you having the facility to do this. But basically you're almost being forced to use your own device and your own electricity to give them a substantial amount of your money for a small amount of overpriced food so that they can save on labour costs. What a magical and welcoming experience.

At Chessington, where these bunch of cowboys have already taken over, you were almost forced to use the order point screens in Burger Kitchen. The screens had virtually no customisation available and if you wanted to pay cash or wanted something simple like no cheese in your burger, maybe because you're lactose intolerant or something, you couldn't use them. The counter was set up in such a way that it was just a big collection point and me and someone else had to wait there, not knowing what to do for someone to notice us. All backs turned preparing orders. It took almost 10 mins until someone managerial looking saw me and another gentleman looking at them confused before someone was sent over, with a hassled look on their face, to ask us if we were ok. Then to top it all off, the food was crap. You don't need a crystal ball to see where all this is going.

How long is it since I was refused service for a bottle of brown ale in the Tavern because I only had cash on me?
One long slow slippery slope.

I'm not against you having the facility to do this. But basically you're almost being forced to use your own device and your own electricity to give them a substantial amount of your money for a small amount of overpriced food so that they can save on labour costs. What a magical and welcoming experience.

Labour costs are the same as they were with the tablets, they still need to show you to your table. Might be a tiny difference not having to do checkout with every guest but will need to monitor that people have paid.
The cost saving will be on the tablet hardware.

Went to Chessington last year for the first time in ages and stayed on site. We ate in both the temple and Zafari restaurants.

Temple was like Flambos, Zero service, poor food.

Zafari was a lovely restaurant setting, decent foods but the staff all stood around talking to themselves while we sat there for 10 minutes trying to install the app, register for an account blah blah blah.

Why a member of the staff who were standing around couldn’t just come over and take our order I don’t know. Call me old fashioned but if I’m paying a premium price to eat somewhere the very least I expect is a decent service.

I know RCR was always about self service but at least they gave you the tablet which added to the novelty. It’s even more self service now having to use your own phone to do it. And I bet the food is still poor.

Out of interest what are the prices like in RCR this season?

329592100_6584017781614684_5410899522558261694_n.jpg

329771217_936151587739928_2349255024650451221_n.jpg

When you consider the standard of service in SGR is a roulette wheel in the first place, these prices are beyond eye-watering.

What an absolute joke.

I think the Gourmet Ultimate Burger in my local Wetherspoons is £11.95. 2x 3oz burgers, bacon, cheese, chips, 6 onion rings & BBQ sauce. It says it all when you know the Wetherspoon product would be better, cheaper & served faster!

Even Center Parcs - well known for it's high prices - only charge £15.95 for their Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger in Hucks, their American themed restaurant (should note it's only a 5oz burger, but even so).

I stayed in a high-end gastro-pub in the Cotswolds a couple of weekends ago. They charged £29.50 for an 8oz ribeye steak and £2 extra for the peppercorn sauce. The setting, quality of decor / rooms / service at this pub blew anything Towers could dream of out of the water.

I can't help but think Merlin will get their fingers burnt from partnering with Aramark & their [Towers] very low Travelodge style standards.

The inconsistencies on this menu are crazy.

Sausage & Mash £1 difference to duck.

Garlic butter £4.40 but a bowl of veg £2.90. Or you can add a chicken breast to your spaghetti for £2.20.

The menu is all overpriced of course, some items grossly so. Service is also often DIRE.

Last edited:
Generally I really dislike having to order on your phone - if in a casual setting like a Spoons or a theme park bar I don’t mind it so much, but when paying a premium and what’s supposed to be an upmarket establishment, it just seems so cheap. If the facilities are there to order (an easy link to a website with the menu and a strong wifi connection) then I can just about forgive it as just one of those things that’s carried over from covid.

I always think back to when a group of us had to download a menu from a website in a Rust restaurant during Covid, yet there was no wifi provided and the data is patchy there at the best of times. Cue one of us managing to download it and passing one person’s phone around about 9 of us!

Just noticed all the Aramark food outlets are due a food hygiene inspection, let's just hope that despite the lowering quality of their food and service that they at least get the basics right. Screenshot_20230206-212930.png
Why? If they don't pass they will be forced to make improvements before the start of the season.

Why? If they don't pass they will be forced to make improvements before the start of the season.
By improvements do you mean in terms of hygiene or quality?
Food hygiene reports do not take into account food quality, therefore fast food takeaways can still get a 5.
In terms of hygiene it's probably better that they get it right first time but if they get a low score it can be six months before the next inspection.

Let's see if they even get inspected before the start of the season, local authorities are facing large backlogs due to Covid. I'm pretty confident that they'll be getting good ratings though, generally food establishments ran by large catering companies or restaurant chains know what they're doing with it comes to food hygiene.

As for that menu, as has been pointed out the consistencies in the pricing is somewhat laughable. At nearly £32 for a rump steak I am expecting a damn good steak, and £4.40 for a sauce!? Wow.