• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage: The Aramark Era begins

Brilliant, you really couldn't make it up! To be fair it has been the same in Woodcutters ever since they brought in ordering online, if you know the discount code you can get the discount, regardless of whether you actually have a pass.

I suppose they've guessed that the profits on their food are so high that a relatively small amount of non-passholders pressing the AP button and getting their meal a bit cheaper is not really an issue. Most of the GP will not press the AP button in fear that they'll have to scan a card or show it to a member of staff etc. Regular visitors who may cotton on probably have an annual pass anyway so will already get some kind of discount. It's no biggie in the grand scheme of things.

Isn't this a bit naughty though, almost like Merlin being happy for people to commit fraud...
Bet it changes when mumsnet and grannyfacebook hear.

One thing from the weekend which was annoying in woodcutters is that they don’t have a discount code for pass holders on mobile ordering anymore so you have to order at the counter (where the staff didn’t even ask to see our passes 😂). Hopefully they’ll get a code added as it can’t be they complicated, as it will be a pain having to order at the counter all the time, and I’m sure the staff won’t like that either

Here is some of the menu and prices from TBK's first season in 2013. Using an inflation calculator, £6 in 2013 is £7.70 as at January 2023, although we know recent food inflation has been higher, so you would expect them to be more than that. I think it is fair to say that even the below prices always felt quite low in 2013, and the price points across F&B have been steadily jacked up so that they have that 'expensive' feel now.

£10+ for a meal at TBK is a joke given the poor quality of food. Back in the early TBK and before that BK and McDonald's days you really could eat cheaply at the park, Not anymore.

Selection of meal prices from summer 2013:
  • Burger meal: £5.75
  • Quarter pounder meal: £6.50
  • Chicken premium: £5.95
  • Fish fillet meal: £5.95
  • Spicy bean burger meal: £5.95
  • Kids chicken tenders meal: £3.95
  • Kids hamburger meal: £3.95

A medium Whopper meal at Burger King Leicester Square London is £7.99, bacon and cheese are an additional 50p each bringing it to £8.99 for the medium meal. So yes £10+ at Alton Towers is ridiculous.
At a central London McDonald’s a quarter pounder or Big Mac meal is £6.69.

Up to £7 a few years ago for a meal at Burger Kitchen I could live with.
But these prices makes me want to bring a picnic.

Here’s a selection of menus from the weekend across the park.

As far as I’m aware prices which had gone up for December haven’t gone up since, but I guess there’s still time before park opening for changes. Anything which wasn’t open for Christmas has now gone up the standard Aramarkup 10%.

One thing I notice, is the choice seems to be getting worse, burger kitchen and just chicken menus are now so basic, chicken has got worse during covid and it’s never returned to its full menu. It’s basically now a burger or boneless chicken, gone is on the bone chicken, variety meals, the donut burger, etc.

Attachments

• 4A949DE2-85F2-465C-AE3A-681C81F435A3.jpeg
    4A949DE2-85F2-465C-AE3A-681C81F435A3.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 113
  • E512CAD7-FC19-43EB-8EAF-51C4A2ACED09.jpeg
    E512CAD7-FC19-43EB-8EAF-51C4A2ACED09.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 107
  • D1F58DD6-B884-4661-BE56-3BD80F3DC3D0.jpeg
    D1F58DD6-B884-4661-BE56-3BD80F3DC3D0.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 1F475C0B-0611-4B7D-BA1A-8C9C2542FDB0.jpeg
    1F475C0B-0611-4B7D-BA1A-8C9C2542FDB0.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 5E220B3F-B275-4541-97AB-BD61B8CAB46B.jpeg
    5E220B3F-B275-4541-97AB-BD61B8CAB46B.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 110
Here’s a selection of menus from the weekend across the park.

As far as I’m aware prices which had gone up for December haven’t gone up since, but I guess there’s still time before park opening for changes. Anything which wasn’t open for Christmas has now gone up the standard Aramarkup 10%.

One thing I notice, is the choice seems to be getting worse, burger kitchen and just chicken menus are now so basic, chicken has got worse during covid and it’s never returned to its full menu. It’s basically now a burger or boneless chicken, gone is on the bone chicken, variety meals, the donut burger, etc.
That Just Chicken boneless sharer meal...
1678232434059.png
...is a bit misleading as it shows chicken on the bone in the background!

A medium Whopper meal at Burger King Leicester Square London is £7.99, bacon and cheese are an additional 50p each bringing it to £8.99 for the medium meal. So yes £10+ at Alton Towers is ridiculous.
At a central London McDonald’s a quarter pounder or Big Mac meal is £6.69.

Up to £7 a few years ago for a meal at Burger Kitchen I could live with.
But these prices makes me want to bring a picnic.
There are at least twenty alternatives on and around Leicester Square for junk food, so competition is fierce, even in high rent areas.
Alton can charge what they like, the nearest competing supplier is miles away, and they are well aware of the fact.
Captive audiences are charged more, always have been, always will be.
Take a picnic, some of us have been doing so for decades, enjoy express parking, and save a fortune, especially if you are in a group.
Rip off prices within the Towers has gone on for many years, it is not a new thing.

£10.45 for a rollover hot dog is just crazy. I mean £7.15 for a bit of bread and a hot dog is just criminal in itself.

I can see profits decrease this year from food and drink as people refuse to pay and bring in their own food.

The average (non-AP) visitors will begrudgingly pay it as they have no other option and will not be aware of the prices before they arrive. Some (more than usual) annual pass holders may start to bring their own lunch. I don't think it will be a massive drop in sales overall.

Personally, I pretty much always take my own food these days. The prices have been getting more expensive even when compared with other fast food places and the quality has become worse. There was a time when you could get a large burger or 2/3 piece chicken meal and with AP discount not feel like you'd had your pants pulled down. They've gone past that threshold now and also made the quality and choice of product worse.

Never mind the prices, the food at the park is arguably worse than it was in the mid 90s, when the expectation of catering at a theme park was basically chicken nuggets and chips. The country has been through decades of changing tastes in the time since, most urban areas have diversified massively to great success, and the choices at Alton are still burgers, chicken and hot dogs? I know they’ll always be the culinary basis for anywhere swarming with kids and teenagers, but even a decade ago, the park were aiming just a little higher.

Twenty years ago, Chester Zoo had much worse food than Alton Towers (I should know, I spent a mercifully brief period frying it…) These days, they’ve massively diversified and even themed their offerings and have managed to hugely increase their revenue in that area without alienating families or regulars. They even market new items to Annual Pass holders. It can be done! But not under Amarak…

Last edited:
Little Explorers Lunch Box in Cbeebies Land I believe.

Correct. Bit of a hidden gem really, and one of the last few places on park that doesn’t deal exclusively in deep-fried fayre.