• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage: The Aramark Era begins

We recently asked for a hot drink at the Crooked Spoon at 2030, and they told us the machines were off. Said we only wanted tea so just some boiled water would be fine.

Nope, they can't offer boiled water. In a restaurant. Next to what is basically a campsite. 30 minutes after ride close.

Shameful.

At the Welcom-inn, the bartender didn't know what shandy was, and once explained was unable to fulfil anyway as they don't do draught soft drinks

1000014767.jpg

It’s shambolic

“We can’t put lemonade in a pint”

“Well you’re a bar aren’t you?”

“Yes, but computer says no”

“Well, can’t you fetch some? Or get someone who can?”

“Yes, but…”

I don’t know how many times i have to say it, the premier-inn-ification of the whole thing is now a monster. They don’t know what quality hospitality looks like. They just don’t know.

There are 4 star all inclusive hotels in Turkey that offer better food and hospitality than Alton Towers, and I’m not joking. That’s what they’re up against, and they’re fighting an inferno with a garden hose.

A crap strategy, with worse managers and terrible execution. Thank god they manage to put an acceptable coaster in every 4-5 years because that place would be screwed without it.

I don’t know how many times i have to say it, the premier-inn-ification of the whole thing is now a monster. They don’t know what quality hospitality looks like. They just don’t know.
Say what you like about Premier Inn, I'm quite sure I could order a shandy in any of their adjoining bars.

Poor training and rigidly sticking to what the till has options for is a long held frustration of mine at Alton Towers in general.

Even if there isn't a button on the till called "shandy" surely you just press "lager 1/2 pint" and "lemonade 1/2 pint" (or whatever the closest lemonade size is) and off you go, serve them in the same glass. Not difficult.

At the Welcom-inn, the bartender didn't know what shandy was, and once explained was unable to fulfil anyway as they don't do draught soft drinks 🤪

1000014767.jpg

In slightly concerning/irritating news today, neither bar worker was able to tell me the ABV of Spaten.

"What's the percentage?"

"20%"

"20%... for a lager?"

"Yeah"

"I don't think Spaten is 20%"

"They're all 20%"

"No they're not, Laugh & Scream even says 4.1% on the front of it"

"Yeah but we still give you 20% off"

"I meant the ABV, not discount. What's the ABV of Spaten?"

"What's ABV?"

"The alcohol content. What percentage is the alcohol content of Spaten?"

"Oh, I don't know."

This is a legal requirement. 😞

In slightly concerning/irritating news today, neither bar worker was able to tell me the ABV of Spaten.

"What's the percentage?"

"20%"

"20%... for a lager?"

"Yeah"

"I don't think Spaten is 20%"

"They're all 20%"

"No they're not, Laugh & Scream even says 4.1% on the front of it"

"Yeah but we still give you 20% off"

"I meant the ABV, not discount. What's the ABV of Spaten?"

"What's ABV?"

"The alcohol content. What percentage is the alcohol content of Spaten?"

"Oh, I don't know."

This is a legal requirement.

They have to be able to orally convey alcohol percentage?

I didn't know the ABV of everything we sold when I worked on a bar in 2007, however if I was asked (and there was nobody else working with me that knew) I'd have the initiative to look on the bottle/can (if bottle/can) or, if there wasn't a clip on the tap showing the information, I'd go look at the sticker on the barrel. I definitely wouldn't have gone "what is ABV?"

They have to be able to orally convey alcohol percentage?
It has to be orally conveyed when asked, and in the line of sight when purchase occurs. Having the ABV on a menu, on a wall, can suffice (they didn't have an up to date one up), or at the bar. It can't be an online menu ("Scan here to see xyz").

Reactions: Tom
At the Welcom-inn, the bartender didn't know what shandy was, and once explained was unable to fulfil anyway as they don't do draught soft drinks 🤪

It could just be a park wide plan to put off Southern shandy drinkers as when we were in the Windmill restaurant a lady was trying to explain a shandy to the waitress there as well this evening!

We had plenty of time to listen in on other tables as service was appalling. Three people asked if we were ready to order, when we said we didn't have a menu they said one would come and never did.

Drinks only arrived as I walked to the service area of the bar and went to take our pints myself that been sitting there getting flat.

They also ran out of water in the tap water dispenser and every time someone asked they said it would be done soon, but no one did it themselves.

Ran out of bowls for the salad so we had to liberate the breakfast plates. Etc... this could all be seen by the supervisor but they don't have the care to actually do anything.

Mainly there's loads of staff but everything isn't their job. See also tables full of empties for hours in the entertainment area, it's only a small place and would only take one person less than five mins to clear but that person doesn't exist.

It's a shame as the rooms and entertainment have been a massive hit with the kids, but the food / beverage issues really put us off staying on site again.