• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Food & Beverage: The Aramark Era begins

Before we get in to the debunked, yet popular myth that the food price inflation we are all seeing across the country is just "profiteering" and "grredflation", that politicians want you to believe as it deflects blame away from them, no one I'm aware of has put up the price of pizza by 50% in the last 3 years.

Unless someone can enlighten me further (with facts, not social media or sensationalist tabloid sourced opinion), who else is selling pizza's, pasta, and soft drinks for 50% higher than they were 3 years ago?

We are all generally paying more for food because it's now more expensive to import, grow, produce, prepare, transport, and sell. Aramark whacking up Pizza Pasta prices as much as 50% is obscene. No one else I know is doing this. An increase of that scale is detached from the wider story of inflation.
Pizza Hut.

Using Wayback machine, my local Pizza Hut restaurant offered a 9" individual Hawaiaan pan pizza for £10.99 in August 2022 (wayback doesn't go further for the menu link) and a sharing one was £19.99.

Now it is £16.49 for the individual or £28.49 for sharing.

So that is basically a 50% increase in 18 months. Wayback machine doesn't show the buffet price in the older menu unfortuantly.

I love Towers, but worry they are going down the route of getting people in on the cheap and the gouge every last penny from them. This can be seen in the ticket pricing and deals. I mean, the cost of food & drink, car parking, fast passes, merch... it's all gone a bit ridiculous.
I think that strategy has been in place for many years actually, and was probably at it's peak a few years ago when Wickerman opened and they offered the ridiculously cheap Season Passes. Then an upcharge dungeon was put in, hotel prices were jacked up, food declined, open hours remained poor etc. Thankfully they've managed to wean themselves off of those passes.

It's not a popular opinion but is probably true - it's too cheap to enter Alton Towers. It appears based on a strategy of selling copious amounts of passes and partially fake BOGOF tickets to generate volume so that guests can be shaken down for every penny they have when they arrive. It's Safe Style UK ("you know the one, you buy one, ya get one free! Trust me, it's free fitting!") and DFS "sale" type smokes and mirrors pricing. If you compare what it costs to have access to other leisure activities, the headline price is actually quite low. People are drawn to that, but what kind of a taste does it leave in the mouth when you look at your bank balance after you leave the park, potentially having had a pretty rotten day of just 6 hours, spent a fortune on disgusting food, waited hours for rides behind fast trackers, and they have to pay a tenner to get out of the car park?

And of course, you have the problems of the pass holders. Because they know how to avoid the pitfalls, they'll know which pass to buy to avoid paying for parking. They'll know which fast track packages are worth it and which aren't, and some will even know how to game the RAP system to avoid them entirely. They'll know which gift shop hoody to buy and which one is likely to fall apart after the first wash. They'll know which food outlets to avoid and what days they are better off bringing sandwiches. They'll avoid secondary spend when they can.

The problem is that this is so ingrained into the wider Merlin model, that it's hard to get out of. I think it is, and always has, damaged the parks long term, and food is an example of that.

This is probably a repeat question but...

Where is the best place to eat besides the rollercoaster restaurant and pizza hut? I'm looking for a plate of food that isn't burgers and chips. I haven't been to a UK park in years so I've been spoiled by tasty food at international parks.

Reactions: LJP
This is probably a repeat question but...

Where is the best place to eat besides the rollercoaster restaurant and pizza hut? I'm looking for a plate of food that isn't burgers and chips. I haven't been to a UK park in years so I've been spoiled by tasty food at international parks.

Woodcutters, near Hex, although it isn’t as good as it used to be .

Cheap pub food at expensive pub prices.

Pizza Pasta is now seemingly excellent value when compared to what looks like a bog standard hotdog at Beornen Bites where they sell between £11.50 and £13.50.

Atleast with the buffet you can fill your face.

Went to Pizza Pasta on Saturday. With the price increase we asked the staff member on the till if the ice cream machine had made a return (in my opinion the best era of pizza pasta). The lady just looked at us blankly and said “it’s my first day and I’ve never been here before” 🤣

Quality has certainly decreased for the price. There definitely used to be more specials as well and more choice.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again that there is so many missed opportunities for food at towers!! With the increasing popularity of food markets (Liverpool’s got two) and dining clubs Towers could easily get some rotating traders in to serve street food style stuff. They have done Digbeth Dining Club in the past at Warwick Castle and I’ve heard it’s been quite popular. I think a lot of people are willing these days to pay a higher price for good quality food. Whereas if you’re getting poor quality food but paying higher prices it’s a loose loose situation for the customer!

Anyway I’m going to chain myself to coke machine a pizza pasta and demand they lower the prices… ;)

Bring back the £2.88 Extra Value Meals at McDonalds.

Anyway, as I say, it Pizza & Pasta seemed dead-ish on Saturday, so maybe dynamic pricing will kick in.

Went to Pizza Pasta on Saturday. With the price increase we asked the staff member on the till if the ice cream machine had made a return (in my opinion the best era of pizza pasta). The lady just looked at us blankly and said “it’s my first day and I’ve never been here before” 🤣

Quality has certainly decreased for the price. There definitely used to be more specials as well and more choice.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again that there is so many missed opportunities for food at towers!! With the increasing popularity of food markets (Liverpool’s got two) and dining clubs Towers could easily get some rotating traders in to serve street food style stuff. They have done Digbeth Dining Club in the past at Warwick Castle and I’ve heard it’s been quite popular. I think a lot of people are willing these days to pay a higher price for good quality food. Whereas if you’re getting poor quality food but paying higher prices it’s a loose loose situation for the customer!

Anyway I’m going to chain myself to coke machine a pizza pasta and demand they lower the prices… ;)

I’d love to see something like this, but I fear that they clearly don’t care about providing a good quality or good value product though. If they’re willing to fleece people for terrible quality pizza and charge £21, there’s not really any incentive for them to invest anything into increasing quality.

The food is god awful now. Got some nuggets and chips today in Dark Forest and initially I thought they weren't too bad but now I think they were awful. I know the food probably never has been top quality but this is pretty ridiculous. If they can afford to spend millions on Nemesis and literally everything else then a good bit of that money should next be spent on improving the quality of the food. Next time I'm just gonna bring a packed lunch

The only positive with F&B now is the return of themed outlets and Names. We’ve gone from “Wicker Man Coffee and Ice Cream” to Wicker Man Beornen Bites”. The same with all the outlets in the valley are now themed, from Coffee Lounge to ground command coffee outpost.

Hopefully we’ll see more of these themed outlets and less of the generic branded outlets like just chicken, burger kitchen etc.

You have no chance of seeing McD's back. There is a long list of other brands you are not allowed on-site if you are a Mc'D's franchisee, with the exception of "unless they were always established prior to the franchise agreement being signed".

The list in the UK includes...
Burger King
Subway
Greggs
Costa Coffee
Wendys
Five Guys
Starbucks
etc....
I can't see much evidence of McDonalds seeking to operate in isolation.

Every RoadChef services has both McDonalds and Costa Coffee on site. All Extra services with a McDonalds have at least one other from that list too. There's a McDonalds which opened not long ago on the A47 near Attleborough which has a Greggs drive thru right next to it, they even share a totem. The Markham Vale Eurogarages pseudo service area has both a McDonalds drive thru and a Starbucks drive thru.

Pretty much every food court I can think of with a McDonalds (Meadowhall, Trafford Centre, McArthur Glens etc) also have to share with one or several of those brands. This is before you get in to the shopping centres more broadly...

The list goes on. This isn't me saying McDonalds onsite definitely could happen again. Just challenging the assertion that if they did they'd want to be the exclusive fast food brand.

Woodcutters was fine yesterday. Staff seemed to be slow as we were stood at the entrance for over 5 minutes and not one of the staff spoke to us. Even a "with you soon" would be better than nothing.

Much like with the lack of rides there's a distinct lack of eateries unless you want burgers or hot dogs. CBeebies is about the only other sit down restaurant that isn't traditional fast food in the entire park.

The price there was daft too.

Another part of the park that desperately needs looking at. Far beyond the Aramark quality situation.

Looks like they happily drank most of it though!
I think that's the issue here. As much as the majority of people are unhappy with the quality for the price, they will just finish it and get back to the rides. Not enough people are returning their food due to quality. If they did in numbers, I am sure that would be the catalyst for change. A couple of years ago I had the worst chicken in X Sector, I just quickly finished it to get back to the rides as not to ruin my day. So maybe, the crap quality at high prices is all our own faults.

Woodcutters was fine yesterday. Staff seemed to be slow as we were stood at the entrance for over 5 minutes and not one of the staff spoke to us. Even a "with you soon" would be better than nothing.

Much like with the lack of rides there's a distinct lack of eateries unless you want burgers or hot dogs. CBeebies is about the only other sit down restaurant that isn't traditional fast food in the entire park.

The price there was daft too.

Another part of the park that desperately needs looking at. Far beyond the Aramark quality situation.

Completely agree, people queuing 30 mins for a coffee is farcical. I waited at woodcutters 30 mins for a seat and the food was meh and expensive for what for was. The hotels were no better either.

The “standard” the “bar” just isn’t high enough I’m afraid. And what’s even more worrying is I don’t see they know how to fix it. In the past 10-15 years the operators of these places seem to have forgotten what a quality theme park is all about, and stood still as others have moved past.

One of the glaring omissions for me is the “teachers lounge” that place was built as restaurant and has just been neglected. I would think it could easily be re-used but it just isn’t.

Most of the food/coffee establishments feel cramped, dingy and a bit sticky. And the location of the coffee place in FV was always wrong. It was the first time I was in there the last Sunday and I wasn’t impressed.

Every area should have access to grab and go, sit down quick service and sit down table service. With snack areas supporting. It’s not difficult. It’s a tried and tested method at this point. Granted different budgets and scales but look at what was done with Satuli canteen and Pandora and Ronto Roasters at Galaxys Edge.

There’s nowhere on park as good as the white horse at Efteling for quick service or any hotel restaurant at Europa for table service. Instead they’ve gone down generic fast food establishment and messed that up.

I worry the whole principles are too marketing/focus led. People might of said they just want burger and chips coming to a theme park, but offer them something better and see what happens.

People/families can eat in “bang average” fast food establishments any day of the week, that’s not what they come to theme parks for. And it’s certainly not what they can come back for.

Merlin as a group need to remember it’s great having IP, hotel rooms, cut and paste events, upcharge attractions and midway shoe horned in. But what gets people walking through the door is the overall theme park experience. Attractions, shows, food & experiences. That’s what pays the bills and gets people through the door. Everything else is a bonus.

Hopefully our friends down the road in Bedford remind them of that

Last edited: