Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Corner Coffee' started by Rob, 11th Jun 2012.

1. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Breaking news;

This is just tragic. Rest In Peace Justin. :(

(source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48568007)

Last edited: 8th Jun 2019
    Rojo and RicketyCricket like this.
  2. Tibble

Tibble TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    There's a petition going round to name a stand after him

Skyscraper likes this.
  3. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Sorry for the double
    Yeah, I've signed it. It's a great idea.

http://chng.it/w2FvpscR

4. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

Is Ole Gunnar doing a good job or not? Are Utd really that far behind?

5. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    He's not good enough, and neither are most of the players that Manchester United have.

Skyscraper likes this.
  6. Tibble

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I think the issues at United are deep. Dissatisfaction with the ownership and Woodward, toxic relationship with agents and players thinking they are too good for the club and half-assing it.

I don't think they ever really rebuilt the team properly when SAF left. He knew the team needed a rebuild and he didn't want to do it. Then the dead wood just stuck around through Moyes, Van Gaal and into Mourinho as well. They need a proper rebuild which Ole seems to be starting. But they need someone in who will give the hairdryer treatment and drop the players who need dropping as well as the ones who are more interested in their instagram followers rather than the results

7. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

How the mighty have fallen.

8. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

Whilst I agree we’re now heading back to a top two situation - there was a short period of time where 4-5 teams could realistically win the league. We need united chelsea arsenal and spurs to plug the gap to pool and citeh even if it’s just to make things more interesting.

That all said the top clubs blooding British youth is a nice trend. Long may it continue.

On united specifically- I feel they are like Liverpool when Klopp took over. The basis of a good squad is there they just need 4-5 top quality additions

9. John_P

John_P TowersStreet Member

United currently are better than the Liverpool side who ended the 14/15 season with a 6-1 defeat at Stoke.

Pretty sure Liverpools current strongest XI line up would only include 3 players who've been at the club longer than Klopp. Henderson, Firmino, and Alexander-Arnold (and Klopp gave him his 1st team debut).

Uniteds issue has been them buying big names (Di Maria, Pogba, Sanchez) with no real plans of how to use them. Then giving said players ridiculous contracts which then make the players who have actually performed for the club rightly demand parity with them.

There's clearly issues with the ownership but let's face it they aren't going to sell the club regardless of how many people change their twitter Avatar. They had protests when they initially took over but a period of success shut the fans up so I imagine they expect that would happen again.

The obvious issue is that as nice as Solsjkaer is he's clearly not up for the job. Continually harking back to the past, not parking in the managers space because it's Fergusons. The club need to move on.
    The appointment itself was insane, imagine now Solsjkaer had no previous history with the club. Is a man who took Cardiff City to relegation but then had success in the Norwegian league with Molde someone an elite club would look to appoint. I'd very much doubt a championship club would take such a risk. The closest I can think of is Graham Potter going to Swansea but he'd also had a very successful Europa League run.

10. Tibble

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    As a Chelsea fan it's interesting to see where we are at the moment. Lampard coming in was a big risk, but with the introduction of youth and returning players such as Odoi and RLC in the new year, it looks like it will be an exciting season, providing we can plug the issue we have of leaking goals. Rudiger has to be the main CB. He can control the youngsters next to him and allow Azpi to captain the team.

RicketyCricket likes this.
  11. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Reece James too deserves a place in the side. He's being compared to peak Dani Alves.

I think we could see a back 3 of Azpi, Rudiger and Tomori with James as right wing back.

Most importantly, Frank Lampard is Chelsea manager - what a time to be alive.

[​IMG]

12. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    Tomori is perhaps the gem of the youth brought through this season thusfar. Looks to have all the qualities to go right to the top - speed, athleticism, physicality and pretty intelligent positionally too.

Charlie Newbold likes this.
  13. Tibble

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Just got to hope Southgate picks him up before Nigeria do - apparently they are keen on him

Skyscraper likes this.
  14. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    0-9. The joint biggest Premier League win and the biggest away win in the top division of English football ever.

Not bad!

[​IMG]

MattyH, RicketyCricket and Skyscraper like this.
  15. Tibble

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Leicester are the team that keeps surprising - they seem bang average last season then this season they have surpassed expectations so far. Will be interesting to see if they keep that momentum

16. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    We were bang average for most of last season because we had a manager who had no concept of man mangement, and subsequently he lost the dressing room. Why he thought it was a good idea to try and force Vardy, one of the league's best strikers, out of the club I'll never know.

We have a better squad now than when we won the league. Just hoping we can keep it up, Palace away is our next league game which has been a horrible one for us in recent years.

Jb85 and Tibble like this.
  17. Tibble

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Chelsea are responding well to Frank - Seems to be a good atmosphere amongst the players and we are playing better than anyone expected us to

RicketyCricket likes this.
  18. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

I'm of the belief that as you've sold Maguire a home win isn't a complete banker...

Ted likes this.
  19. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    @Benzin Nice profile picture featuring 2 players no longer playing for Palace riding a coaster that no longer operates ;)

IanB and Skyscraper like this.
  20. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

The Foxes are flying - believe me they will finish top 4