• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Formula One

Well f1 sucks, engines sucks, double points suck, fuel sucks everything is rubbish

I was always expecting the engines to sound horrendous and the cars be slower, but the sound is so quiet! A loud tractor engine would be better than this.

Sound is integral to Formula One, both TV and race audiences are going to fall dramatically as a result of this, I think.

The engines do sound poor. Quite strange actually. Do love the sound of the turbos though.

Ah well, it is what it is. I actually enjoyed quali this morning.

I am expecting to see a busy Chat room at 6am tomorrow morning so we can all moan about how boring it is, and how we are never going to watch it again :p

Ian

IanB said:
I am expecting to see a busy Chat room at 6am tomorrow morning so we can all moan about how boring it is, and how we are never going to watch it again :p

Ian
For the first time in years I can't be bothered to wake up for the race

I though it was a brilliant qualifying session full of excitement! The rain certainly added to that. Really looking forward to the race tomorrow, pretty much anything could happen!

:)

I don't think it's going to be boring at all. I'm more excited about tomorrow than I have been for f1 for years. Quali certainly wasn't boring.

^
That's exactly how I felt, and I was up for 6 today as well :)
Just as cynical as anyone about the changes, but if it's good on track, I'll allow it.

And the madcap first twenty laps or so today were amazing, even if the race kind of died a death after that. Gutted for Ricciardo, Vettel and even Hamilton to an extent (he'd have won it if his car had been working, even I admit it), but if this is the shape of things to come, it's going to be a season full of surprises and excitement, even if we can predict the winners already :p

PS: Surprise package of the day: Valteri Bottas. He was awesome!

Would you be saying that about Bottas if there was no DRS, he made a mistake, and because of DRS, was not punished for it.

Just because he overtook a load of cars does not mean he had a great race, if he had not made that mistake, he could of been on the podium.

I guess that is the problem with F1 these days, people would rather still drivers make mistakes, and then make loads of passes, rather than watch someone not make any mistakes, but have to defend really hard when a faster car is behind. Its surprising any of the little teams bother to race, knowing a perfect race from them, can still mean them finishing near the back as drivers in faster cars who make mistakes can easily overtake them.

I think I feel asleep for the last 10 laps this morning.

Ian

To be honest, it is like brake fade on a car. Gradual and you don't realise until you directly compare with what was before. Frankly last years engines were poor compared to the V10s of the 90s, and to older fans the V12s were the best etc.

People do go and keep coming back for the thrill of the sound at races, I think at least at the tracks themselves, audiences will decline dramatically unless something is done.

As for TV, I guess entertaining racing will keep most people interested, but for me that isn't enough. There's enough of that in other series, and that's without the gimmicks of DRS and (K)ERS.

The FIA have Formula E now to be greener, so I really don't get these family car engine and fuel consuption rules at all. Make Formula One has fast and loud as it possible can be, and have Formula E for showcasing electric technology and environmentally-friendly concerns. None of these new regulations are Ecclestone's doing either, despite the common misconceptions - he only has power over the commercial side of things, albeit he was influential in the introduction of DRS and KERS to bolster overtaking.

F1 has unfortunately gone from representing the top speed and excitement of motorsport to somewhere in between, which just isn't right.

How about a style of engine in the bugatti Veyron? Which is essentially 2 big V8's welded together to make a W16 engine.

Current Fantasy Racers League Status:

TST's Queens of Speed
Pos. Team Name Player Name Value Points
1st Ser Lionel Ser Lionel 44.49 1290
2nd Force Will 2014 Will Garner 43.82 1198
3rd* The Earl's Horses Tom F 42.72 663
4th German superiors Matty H 38.82 621​

*Did not take part in the first race

Well, at least I got a decent haul of points from... what I'm sad to say was a fairly tedious spectacle this morning.

Ricciardo's clearly inherited the 'Mark Webber curse', Hamilton and Rosberg were sadly in a league of their own and had to do very little work to warrant their 1-2, Massa's new teammate started the 'x is faster than you' issues again... Meh.

Praise where praise is due for Hulkenberg and Kobayashi though - the latter almost had me convinced his Caterham was looking competitive, and while I may be biased, if anyone in the paddock deserves a podium appearance this year, it's Hulkenberg. At least he's making Perez look almost as useless as Di Resta was. :/

The hulk just showed how much of a mistake Ferrari made with kimi I think. Glad to see Hamilton back up top. The mercs are really in a league of their own right now, but I still think the RB's night be the only upset. Their aero must be phenomenal taking into consideration their engine.