• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Formula One

Las Vegas confirmed for 2023, here is a look at the track layout:

image.jpg

That looks to be a very long back straight!

Somewhat annoying that with all the brilliant tracks in the US we're getting a street circuit in a grid-plan city.

Also annoying that it'll be held on a different schedule to every other race, after (finally!) harmonising Monaco with the rest of the calendar in having free practice on a Friday.

I am not really sure what all the hype around Las Vegas is, but maybe that's because I have never been before? I wonder if this is why they choose it over somewhere like Long Beach. Maybe F1 think this is more marketable, and Las Vegas certainly seems to think its going to bring in the crowds, which no doubt it will. This is a street track I can get behind though, not one of these designed street tracks(You know what I mean, the roads were here before the race track). I really hope they don't try and throw on some random starting grid or something as they are in Las Vegas, and play on the gamble/chance theme. I hope it keeps the traditional format.

I think running the race on Saturday at 10pm makes sense, I understand that to be around 5/6am UK on the Sunday, which is much better than on the Monday when your getting up for work.

We have a West, Central and East race in the states now, so I think its far to say that F1 have cracked the US Audience now. From a purley selfish point of view, it would be great to see the Miami race moved in to late July/early August slot.

I am not really sure what all the hype around Las Vegas is, but maybe that's because I have never been before? I wonder if this is why they choose it over somewhere like Long Beach. Maybe F1 think this is more marketable, and Las Vegas certainly seems to think its going to bring in the crowds, which no doubt it will. This is a street track I can get behind though, not one of these designed street tracks(You know what I mean, the roads were here before the race track). I really hope they don't try and throw on some random starting grid or something as they are in Las Vegas, and play on the gamble/chance theme. I hope it keeps the traditional format.

I think running the race on Saturday at 10pm makes sense, I understand that to be around 5/6am UK on the Sunday, which is much better than on the Monday when your getting up for work.

We have a West, Central and East race in the states now, so I think its far to say that F1 have cracked the US Audience now. From a purley selfish point of view, it would be great to see the Miami race moved in to late July/early August slot.
Don't think they'd put Miami in July/August, as that's hurricane season.

Don't think they'd put Miami in July/August, as that's hurricane season.
I did not realise that, I always though it was September/October time. Turns out its from 1st June to 30th Nov, so only half the year.

It would be cool to have all three US races back to back. Would make for a great road trip.

The best thing about this season so far has been seeing Vertappen break down.

Me? Bitter still? No of course not.... 😝
It's a shame he seems to be the only driver posing a legitimate threat to Leclerc. If Mercedes don't catch up soon I fear he will run away with the title in no time.

Still a long way to go I suppose though

It's a shame he seems to be the only driver posing a legitimate threat to Leclerc. If Mercedes don't catch up soon I fear he will run away with the title in no time.

He’s already got it in the bag if you ask me.
I can’t see Red Bulls reliability issues going away - it’s not a new thing. And as Lewis said, Merc are that far behind, even with upgrades they will struggle

The best thing about this season so far has been how well the new rules have worked, and how well the cars can follow each other. Seeing drivers make mistakes, allowing overtakes to happen. Sadly we did not get that wheel to wheel battle for P1 we were treated to at the last two races this week (Ferrari are to good) but the racing in the mid pack was great.

Fantastic result for Albon, I thought Williams were just going to keep him out, but the fact he managed to get 10th place, and score a point in his third race with Williams is brilliant.

I felt sorry for Alonso this weekend, looked like he could of been in the top four, but had a issue in qualifying , and then the safety cars in the race did not work out for him.

Charles has got himself in to a very strong position, and if my maths is correct, Max will need to win seven races, with Charles finishing second to overtake him in the title now. So Max has to win 13 of the remaining 20 races assuming Charles does not have any issues. Ferrari might not admit it, but they need to make Charles the number one driver now, and maximise the points he can get. RedBull will sort their reliability issues out, and Mercedes race pace, or at least how kind it was on its tyres looked good in Melbourne, and will continue to get better. Alpine and McLaren also seemed to be stepping forward, although both teams race pace did not feel as good as qualifying pace.

The other big talking point of the weekend was the race director noting that Jewellery should not be worn during the race. This lead to a few of the drivers having some fun in their press conferences with it. My initial thoughts were that it was a silly rule, that could probably got rid of now, but I was curious about how it could impact safety, and came across this interesting article, which has the quote below.
If Massa had worn earrings or any other facial jewelry, the emergency responders would have struggled to get his helmet and balaclava off at the time of the accident. This could have delayed their efforts to stabilize him just enough to cause lasting brain damage or even death. At the very least, their actions could have injured him even more.

I assume their is a difference from removing a helmet yourself, and having it removed by the medical team during an incident. I assume that if the helmet or balaclava got caught on the ear piecing's it could cause additional issues for the medical team. And there is also issues if you need to have an MRI scan urgently?

Its things like this I wish the FIA would give more context about, The race director is calling this out, and this is the reason way. Ensuring Driver safety, because if there is an incident, the medical staff need to be able to easily remove items of clothing without the risk of anything unexpected. Provide an answer for the the assumptions above. I get that they are enforcing the rules, but its also putting them in the spotlight, which I don't get, as that is the last thing they want to be doing after the finish of last year.

That is true. Although one thing I have found interesting so far this season is how Perez seems much closer to Vertstappen in qualifying, and of course out-qualified him in Saudi. Maybe this year's Red Bull is more suited to Perez than the previous one which was widely accepted to have been designed/set up to suit Vertstappen's unique driving style.

Hopefully Mercedes can catch up soon otherwise you are right, Leclerc is going to run away with the title. Sainz must be cursing, he has had a disasterous start to the season.

I don't really have a problem with that if I get to admire his cheeky dimples on the podium each fortnight! 😉

I don't really have a problem with that if I get to admire his cheeky dimples on the podium each fortnight! 😉

I just wish Sainz was the one leading

Loved his Dad , and he himself seems like a great guy in the Netflix show

How I bet Danny Ric wishes he made the move to Ferrari when he had the chance…. He could easily go down as the greatest driver ever not to win the championship

I just wish Sainz was the one leading

Loved his Dad , and he himself seems like a great guy in the Netflix show

How I bet Danny Ric wishes he made the move to Ferrari when he had the chance…. He could easily go down as the greatest driver ever not to win the championship
I'm not sure Ricciardo turned down Ferrari did he?