• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Formula One

It's easy to be very subjective at events like this. Was it doge? Maybe. Who knows. It's under investigation so it's not just me and my bias questioning it. It's in the hands of the race stuards and we know they are totally competent šŸ˜…

In fairness I'm not sure what else Merc could have done with Lewis
He was being a real baby about it. There was no world in which Hamilton was going to stay ahead of Vettel with or without Russel to slow him up. It wasn't even close.

He was being a real baby about it. There was no world in which Hamilton was going to stay ahead of Vettel with or without Russel to slow him up. It wasn't even close.

He lost the race the moment Tsunoda pulled up. He would have won on original strategy.

I'm a Lewis fan but it's his fault he didn't make the same call George did. 2nd would have been great.

Full disclosure - I am not a particular Lewis fan, find him quite hard to relate to in the very privileged world he exists in. But generally I am a anyone but RedBull fan. This is for reasons I don't dare go into in such a public forum. If we just say I am a very technical guy and have very technical friends that have and do work for very technical companies. You hear stories over a pint or two. šŸ¤

Last edited:
Felt really sorry for Yuki today, he has been driving really well, and was unlucky something broke on his car. The investigation was only for the car being released in a unsafe manner, nothing to do with affecting the race results.

I think the general feeling is we were robbed of a interesting race, Max would of been 3-4 seconds behind after the pitstop on younger tyres. It would of been interesting, but always the risk with one stop strategy is you have less options to play with.

Monza next weekend, and if its as close as it was between the teams this weekend, it should be a cracking race. The title might be all but done, but that should make the battles even more exciting as the drivers have nothing to lose by making a mistake.

Mics picked up a conversation where Danny Ric said 'Take a year off in 23 and come back in 24', can obviously be misheard but sounds like he isnt planning on being on the grid next year

Mics picked up a conversation where Danny Ric said 'Take a year off in 23 and come back in 24', can obviously be misheard but sounds like he isnt planning on being on the grid next year
You've got to wonder how viable a 2024 re-entry is; where would that vacancy come from? The only better places than Williams I can imagine where there might be vacancies are the RBR teams, unless Hamilton retires (unlikely). Alpine will have Ocon and presumably they'll want whoever they take to backfill Alonso to have a commitment for 2024 too.

It'll be super competitive if there are any vacancies and being very frank, I don't know that I'd take Ricciardo based on his present form with a year out over a cheaper/funded rookie. He needs to get in a Haas or Williams if Alpine aren't interested and prove himself again.

I agree - only world champs ever manage a come back after time out (excluding k mag).

If I were him I would be looking at a non oval Indycar deal for 23. Plenty of places up for grabs at top teams.

I agree - only world champs ever manage a come back after time out (excluding k mag).

If I were him I would be looking at a non oval Indycar deal for 23. Plenty of places up for grabs at top teams.
Not sure that's true. Ocon also made it back after a year away, and of course Kubica.

I think the defining characteristic of drivers who came back (other than former champions) was that they were still at peak performance when they last ran. Even then it goes wrong as often as it goes right.

Not sure that's true. Ocon also made it back after a year away, and of course Kubica.

I think the defining characteristic of drivers who came back (other than former champions) was that they were still at peak performance when they last ran. Even then it goes wrong as often as it goes right.
Yeah good point! Selective memory at play there!

I think there is two factors at play at McLaren, I think Lando is over performing, and Ricardo is under preforming, making the gap look bigger.

It was only last year Ricardo picked up a win in the McLaren, but something this season has just not clicked sadly.

I don't see a seat for him in F1 next season, or moving forward. IndyCar would be a good move if he wants to carry on racing. Not sure what Daniels relationship with Oscar is, but if the circumstances had been different, Daniel could of been a good mentor for Ocsar, maybe acting in that role, and as McLarens test driver.

Going back to last weekends race, I initially thought there was no scenario where Lewis could win after the safety car, but what if Mercedes had not pitted Russell and instructed him to keep the 8 car gap between himself and Lewis at the start (Similar to what Ferrari tried and failed earlier in the season to do), Max would of then been 3-4 seconds behind Lewis, and would still of needed to get past Russell. Would of made the end a lot more interesting.

Going back to last weekends race, I initially thought there was no scenario where Lewis could win after the safety car, but what if Mercedes had not pitted Russell and instructed him to keep the 8 car gap between himself and Lewis at the start (Similar to what Ferrari tried and failed earlier in the season to do), Max would of then been 3-4 seconds behind Lewis, and would still of needed to get past Russell. Would of made the end a lot more interesting.
Max would have taken Russell immediately (as he did Hamilton) and got Hamilton within 2 laps. Leclerc and Sainz would have likely been able to finish 2nd and 3rd.

Merc should've pitted both for softs after the true safety car to race for 2-3, in no world could their car outrace Max and the redbull. They could outrace the Ferraris and the 2 or 3 midfield cars they'd come out behind. They made an impressive doublestack work earlier too

I try not to get into would of should of could of. They were racing a faster car so haven't really lost anything.

Speaking of armchair strategists... Anyone got the management game? Considering it but not convinced yet.

I have the management game, and while its fun, its not Ā£40 fun. Motorsport Manager which was released 6ish years ago is just as good, if not better. F1 Manager just has the F1 licence. It is not to the depth of Football Manager series.

Catching a car on its out lap in Qualy, has a bigger impact than yellow flags, can lose three seconds so getting the cars out at the right time is really important. Incidents in the race which you expect to cause a safety car, don't, and incidents which don't, do. Its just a buggy game lacking depth.

If it had an online mode, I think that would make it more fun. The setup needs more options to focus on, with just 5 settings, and 6 attempts to get it right, I have found that most time I have been able to unlock 8/9 performance points for both drivers.

As for the races, you make your strategy before the race, and until you get the window there is not much you need to worry about. Micro managing the pace can have a little difference. Wet races can make it a bit more interesting, but the getting held in the pitstop can ruin the race even when it looks clear. Maybe its a time thing, and if you can micro manage the whole race in real time its better, but I was managing to do a race weekend in about 1 hour, using the fastest speed.

Having the real teams audio, and drivers audio is very immersive but does start to get repetitive by the 4 or 5 race.

Video below of someone streaming the game who is a big fan of it.

I drove an F1000 yesterday as part of a belated Christmas gift. I've done track days before so am used to knowing the rules of flags, racing lines and differing car performances. This was utterly ludicrous however, and makes you realise just how skilled F1 drivers are. Clearly nowhere near the standards of an actual F1 car, but they all have to start somewhere!

20220909_144315.jpg

They are incredibly uncomfortable to be in, sitting on a hard floor and having to contort your feet to get to the pedals. It's like being in a bathtub, with just your head and shoulders above the water and awkwardly lying backwards somewhat, with your feet down near the taps.

Took a few laps to get some heat into the tires and brakes and used to the fact the brake pedal itself was a brick, but the grip and acceleration was something else. Can wholly recommend it to anyone!

Back to F1, interesting to see how De Vries will perform this weekend now in place of Albon. Obviously a great opportunity to prove himself over Latifi.

Did one many years ago when Rockingham was still a track. 100% concur with your experience! Just remember near donuting it trying to pull off šŸ˜

Easily the worst race of the season this weekend for me.

Ridiculous that they are continuing to ruin race conclusions by deploying safety cars (eventually!) with 5 laps to go. What is the aversion to red flags, honestly?!

Only positive was seeing Nyck De Vries secure his contract for next year in some considerable style.