• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Future of the Congo River Rapids

Perhaps we will see them return after all then, but perhaps not at the ferocity that they once were, because it was always the place where people would stand up and move around the boats to avoid them.
Which is funny because I never actually found they got me very wet

You never really got wet from the waterfalls, just a bit of spray. Nothing like waterfalls over in the US where you literally go underneath torrents of water.

The issue with the waterfalls wasn’t getting you wet, but everything thinking they would get you wet so people stand up and move around, which of course is what they don’t want people to do.

Whilst what you say is true...
Funny how this isn't an issue in a lot of other countries though.

Its a cultural and societal failure as much as a park operations failure. We have bred a nation of imbeciles who can't read or follow simple rules and think they are untouchable. I have lost count the number of people I have seen stood up at one point on this attraction over the years. It's astonishing to me how AT haven't had anything like the awful DMP incident happen either. Probably dumb luck more than anything.

Also I can never quite grasp the 'not wanting to get wet' thing either. If you don't want to get wet them maybe a water ride isn't for you. I find rides that spin around quickly very nauseating so guess what....I don't generally ride them as a rule.

Last edited:
Whilst what you say is true...
Funny how this isn't an issue in a lot of other countries though.

Its a cultural and societal failure as much as a park operations failure. We have bread a nation of imbeciles who can't read or follow simple rules and think they are untouchable. I have lost count the number of people I have seen stood up at one point on this attraction over the years. It's astonishing to me how AT haven't had anything like the awful DMP incident happen either. Probably dumb luck more than anything.

Also I can never quite grasp the 'not wanting to get wet' thing either. If you don't want to get wet them maybe a water ride isn't for you. I find rides that spin around quickly very nauseating so guess what....I don't generally ride them as a rule.
You sound like a sensible grown up Benjsh...but lots of the riders are young, not yet sensible, kids.
Lots of young kids just do not like getting wet, but the dynamics of the group they are with, and the desire to conform to the actions of that group, are strong.
So they go on the ride and risk getting wet, but many have not developed the skills of common sense to stay in their seats.

And put very simply, other countries haven't had the same issue, because maybe nobody has died that way in their country...yet.
Standards of H&S legislation vary from state to state...some do not have the same concerns as us, and many states have much higher death rates for accidents...and simply do not seem to care.

I honestly think we could see a Jumanji theme coming to CRR soon. Watching a POV of the new dark ride, the main animatronic is actually quite flat and set behind a wall, it wouldn’t be impossible to incorporate a copy of that animatronic into an extension of the rapids tunnel, add some other set pieces and you’re golden ! If they’re feeling adventurous the “game board” of Jumanji would be a great base for a flat ride that could fit into KC too

What is it with people fixated on IPs in the last decade, thinking it'll make a superior attraction when slapped on any attraction?
In fairness, IP attractions do offer ease of marketing, and often, the IP holder will be ensuring that a certain bar is met in terms of quality. The IP holder won’t be wanting the park to damage the brand’s reputation by building a poor attraction.

I’m not sure an IP is needed for the rapids. It’s a popular ride, often has a queue even when the weather isn’t amazing.

The only problem with the rapids now is how crap it is due to them turning all the wave pools and waterfalls off. Adding an IP wouldn’t make the ride any more thrilling or wet. You’ll just have a random theme in the area.

What is it with people fixated on IPs in the last decade, thinking it'll make a superior attraction when slapped on any attraction?
Because it’s the only way Merlin will ever spend money on an existing attraction. It’s the sad reality we live in, but for example Jumanji would be very sympathetic to the existing area and would revitalise a pretty boring ride

I dont think an IP is needed, I think they could produce a better and more immersive experience by investing in animatronics and better theming. Rapids is never going to be a poster ride for the park. But that shouldn't stop a decent investment which could give it a new lease of life

Tiger Rock is another example of Merlin spending relatively significant amounts of money on an existing tired ride without the need for an IP.

That’s not to say Jumanji wouldn’t happen for the rapids, just that it doesn’t have to mean an IP is the only realistic option.

However I would be surprised if they watered down the impact of the Jumanji IP by introducing it at 2 of their UK theme parks.

I’d say both those examples aren’t comparable. Nemesis retains its iconic status since opening in 1994 and would be difficult to fill the space with, and Chessington were forced to change elements of Dragon Falls as they were in disrepair and unsafe