• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Future of the Congo River Rapids

I'm really hoping now that this is all coming to an end and they are Improving the safety measures...we can see a major overhaul of the ride in the next few years. It's badly needed.

Given the love they have given to Nemmy and Haunted House then maybe just maybe we have some sensible people in charge who actually care about preserving current much loved attractions.

Probably worth noting the map for this year shows picture of waterfalls next to CRR... Will the waterfalls be back? Maybe?

I think there is a chance they could bring back the lost water features, but the presence of them on the map isn’t really much of an indicator of this. They have been there on previous years maps, so it doesn’t really mean anything in itself.

2022 map:

306A5CF2-1978-4324-B0E1-E58849F451AB.jpeg

Does anyone know if this flume duck has been there a while? Perhaps something I’ve never really noticed before. Nice nod to the flume though.

28261136-2028-494B-B1B0-5307C4053786.jpeg
Never noticed this before!

One thing I will say is the ride is crying out for it’s waterfalls and wave pools to be turned back on. Even the water guns around the side of the ride that people could shoot at you were good. It used to be such a great ride, it’s a shame to see what it’s become.

I have only been on Congo River Rapids twice, and only once before the waterfalls were turned off.
The waterfalls were by far the best part of the ride. Bring them back. I remember how boring my ride in 2018 was after they turned them off.

I have only been on Congo River Rapids twice, and only once before the waterfalls were turned off.
The waterfalls were by far the best part of the ride. Bring them back. I remember how boring my ride in 2018 was after they turned them off.
I've never been on the rapids with the waterfalls working, very excited to see if they liven up an otherwise quite tame ride.

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk

It needs more than just the waterfalls turning back on but I agree that would be a good start.

I'd like to see a major refurb with a new name, new audio and money spent on the queue and station as well as additional theming. Rapids rides will always be a classic and a integral part of a theme park. Hopefully now we are coming to the end of the safety concerns raised on the back of the DMP tragedy we will see money being spent on them again. Seems like Paultons Park is building a brand new one too so that raises my hopes again for the future of these attractions.

I've never been on the rapids with the waterfalls working, very excited to see if they liven up an otherwise quite tame ride.

Sent from my 2201116SG using Tapatalk
I don't think Towers would want to risk riders standing up or swapping seats again. That's what happend when the waterfalls were on as people would try to dodge them.

I don't think Towers would want to risk riders standing up or swapping seats again. That's what happend when the waterfalls were on as people would try to dodge them.
Them not been on solves people not standing up, But from my experience with them off the boat absolutely flys through that section and streight into the wall at the last turn, which is equally as dangerous some would argue.

With the falls on it slowed the boats down quite alot, same with the wave pools.

I wonder how much quicker the boats make it round with all the features switched off compared to switched on. . .🤔

There are ways round health and safety issues with the ride it's just if Merlin want to invest the time and money fixing them.

As I've said before the loss of the rapids would be detrimental to the park regardless of what would go Thier. They add diversity to the ride lineup and are still popular especially in the summer.

Out of interest, when were the wave pools turned off?

Same time as everything else was stopped with the Drayton accident.
Interesting. I went on Congo River Rapids before the Drayton incident, but I don't remember them being on. For me, the waterfalls were definitely the highlight of the ride pre Drayton incident.

One wave machine (just before the photo point) was completely removed a few years before the Drayton accident. Of the others, there's always a chance that when you rode one of them wasn't working - the one after the tunnel was pretty unreliable towards the end IIRC.

There also used to be a number of random water jets at various points around the ride (though I think these were only turned on in decent weather), they went YEARS ago now but could be absolute soakers if you were unlucky.