• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Future of the Congo River Rapids

Do love the idea of a Australian retheme for the area, if they brought back Henry Hound and all the other mascots for each area of the park, they can use a Kangaroo mascot for the rethemed KC in which in it's pouch it will sell you MAP passes! :p

A retheme will be on the cards for the future for sure. I actually feel sorry for the park with this one though due to the accident at DMP. Their hands have been tied for a good few years for sure to do anything with the attraction.

I do think a retheme for the whole area is required too. Australian theme is certainly an interesting proposal and definitely something you don't see in Theme Parks very often. I'd be happy with that.

To be honestly ignoring the tunnel it’s actually one of my favourite areas of the park. I honestly feel dark forest and X Sector require attention sooner.

In order I feel are the best themed and overall complete areas (this isn’t an option based on ride offering)

Forbidden valley
Gloomy wood
Katanga Canyon
Mutiny Bay

All other areas require a lot more attention, this excludes CBBs as I never visit.

Last edited:
Towers could definitely do some impressive things with the rapids tunnel, with Alton Manner acting as a “test-bed” for animatronics to find out what’s the most effective in terms of excitement for guests.

The Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure is a great example of what that tunnel could be like. It’s almost pitch black with animatronics suddenly lit up and put into action as the ride passes (at a fairly fast pace) Makes for some great jump-scares!

You could potentially extend the tunnel up to the waterfalls with mist disguising them from riders eyes before exiting the tunnel, making for quite a surprise exit! In terms of what goes in the tunnel, I’d imagine a mine/cavern theme would work perfectly for the area, there’s possibilities for fire and ice effects etc, maybe even a jump-scare monster that resides in the caves depths!

Marshy.

Towers could definitely do some impressive things with the rapids tunnel, with Alton Manner acting as a “test-bed” for animatronics to find out what’s the most effective in terms of excitement for guests.

The Jurassic Park Rapids Adventure is a great example of what that tunnel could be like. It’s almost pitch black with animatronics suddenly lit up and put into action as the ride passes (at a fairly fast pace) Makes for some great jump-scares!
I know what @QTXAdsy is thinking ;)
Quack quack.

Last edited:
If we didn’t like the announcements to “remain seated” every minute or so, I can confirm they are even more annoying in a dodgy Australian accent.

Looks like Katanga or Congo is on the way out. Interestingly the ride seemed more “fun” today but still no waterfalls.

Re-theme could be coming I think?

I can't see them retheming the rapids. The golden era of running rapids in this country is long gone due to the ever increasing health and safety burden.

I think they'd be better off replacing with a water ride where people are actually secured in the boat.

I’m unsure what this is showing, a raft getting really wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it’s potentially showing a wave machine on, but I’m not overly convinced by this close up image. I’ve been on CRR many times without the wave machines and waterfalls on and we’ve often caught a rogue wave caused by the logs at the bottom of the trough.

An actual wave wetting guests. Can't happen.
It can, but other measures need to be in place to reduce the likelihood of guests standing. There is nothing specific in guidance about not getting people wet. If they have spotters, effective CCTV, signage and announcements then it is expected that is sufficient. The initial guidance following the incident did state there shouldn’t be theming that encourages guests to adopt unsafe positions. But in the newer guide from the HSE in 2021 there is no such reference or any restrictions on getting people wet, it’s more about ensuring the ride is monitored and incidents are reacted to as they realise it’s impossible to ensure guests remain seated, so it’s about watching for those who don’t.
I expect AT think their new signage and announcements, as well as the use of spotters and CCTV as they have been using for the past six years since the incident is now sufficient.

I'm going to leave the above post because there has been subsequent discussion, but can we please ensure that there is context given when you post a photo. What are you showing, how is the photo adding to discussion? A photo of a rapids boat hitting a wave on said rapids ride doesn't seem to add to discussion at all, this happens every day the ride is open!

Thanks.

That wave (still known as the "KFC mega wave" 15 years after KFC left the area) is caused by a log on the channel floor rather than a wave machine. Those are the only features of the ride to be retained after H&S surgically removed the rest of the fun aspects