• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Future of the Congo River Rapids

They're both awful.

If AT can't bring back the water effects they need to at least add some extra theming to make it more interesting or replace it with something else.

Bring back the masks!

In all fairness they removed the “theming” they installed in the waterfalls, so you would think along side this, the audio reference and it was running for a day. There was definitely plans to bring the waterfalls back but there clearly an big issue.

To be honest I feel the tunnel with the harsh lights on needs more focus before the waterfalls personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd not comparing it to anything else though, I'm comparing it to the ride that it used to be, and still should be. Like I said, it has improved this year, but I think it's pretty hard to argue that it's not been incredibly poor over the past few years.
There's no doubt it's a shadow of its former self, but the point i'm trying to make is that there are much, much worse rapids out there.

There's no doubt it's a shadow of its former self, but the point i'm trying to make is that there are much, much worse rapids out there.
There’s always a worse example of anything if you look hard enough, but this shouldn’t be a race to the bottom. Accepting it in its current condition based on the fact there are others that are worse just feels defeatist to me.

There’s always a worse example of anything if you look hard enough, but this shouldn’t be a race to the bottom. Accepting it in its current condition based on the fact there are others that are worse just feels defeatist to me.
It's not a race to the bottom, because Congo River Rapids is nowhere near the bottom. It's nowhere near as bad as others make it out to be, but yes I agree that it used to be much better, but it's far from being the worst rapids attraction - in fact it's not even close to that in my opinion.

It's not a race to the bottom, because Congo River Rapids is nowhere near the bottom. It's nowhere near as bad as others make it out to be, but yes I agree that it used to be much better, but it's far from being the worst rapids attraction - in fact it's not even close to that in my opinion.
I’m not saying it’s the worst. I’m saying we shouldn’t be saying it’s okay because others are in a worse state. I don’t leave my house to become a mess because others are even more so, I maintain it and keep the wave machines on in my bath 😉

Based on the last time I rode, I actually wouldn’t say that there’s that much of a difference between Congo and Rumba these days. Granted, Congo has a longer and more interesting layout, but you can still get the odd wave on Rumba just as you can on Congo.

I genuinely wouldn’t say that the two rides are overly different in wetness these days.

The thing is, they can bring back the water effects, as mentioned before, HSE guidance was updated for the second time since the incident at Drayton. The latest version acknowledges that these rides will have water effects and what not, it recognises them to the point that it warns operators to put extra measures in place, because people are at a heightened risk of standing. It even goes as far as to recognise these rides could have water cannons.

Before it said, ANYTHING that could causes guests to stand, should be disabled. Or something along them lines. The tone from HSE is very different now, than what it was in the wake of the Drayton Manor accident.

Alton choose to not re add them though, while other parks have turned effects back on. Specifically Drayton Manor, some fountains and other things that spray the boat were switched back on this year.

Last edited:
Great to see both waterfalls working, just hope this isn't a false dawn like what we saw earlier in the season when we just had one of them working and that was switched off.

Still, would like them to replace those boats with the high-backed seat type yet that is highly unlikely to happen unless the area is part of an upcoming refresh and they might use the opportunity to tweak some elements with the ride's theming.

There obviously is a reason for them delaying the use of these when open to the public but I’m really finding it hard to think what it is! Safety concerns have now been addressed, they are clearly operational and the weather is nice enough to justify them being on. Strange, but surely something I don’t know.

If they are wanting to risk assess again, they will want them operational before doing so. This is the first time they have both been seen running this season, right ?

They're such powerful waterfalls. I am curious that they don't seem to have neutered them at all as a mitigation.