• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Future of the Congo River Rapids

I did CRR yesterday (20th) and it seemed a LOT faster than when I did it in May. Obviously we now have the waterfalls as well but me and my partner seemed to notice waves as well (not sure if they are from logs or from the wave machines though - they did seem to line up with the locations listed above!)

I did CRR yesterday (20th) and it seemed a LOT faster than when I did it in May. Obviously we now have the waterfalls as well but me and my partner seemed to notice waves as well (not sure if they are from logs or from the wave machines though - they did seem to line up with the locations listed above!)
Based on what the wave machines were like when they were on, you'd definitely know if they were on - in the larger "pool" areas of the the rapids where you see raised metal walkways and such are where the machines are and they would make the boat rock a lot from side to side and slow them down a little too. Here and here show them in action

Reactions: Ash
Based on what the wave machines were like when they were on, you'd definitely know if they were on - in the larger "pool" areas of the the rapids where you see raised metal walkways and such are where the machines are and they would make the boat rock a lot from side to side and slow them down a little too. Here and here show them in action
Thanks Steve, I hadn't done them before May so didn't know! Deffo not wave machines on, but it was for sure faster than in May (and with Waterfalls!)

Aren't logs and such also used to create waves on rapids rides? Although they can be dangerous in the event of an emergency pump shutdown.

Logs are bolted to the channel base so as to disrupt the flow of water going over them, creating 'rapids' in the process. They are not dangerous in the event of an emergency shutdown as long as no more boats are sent around the circuit after the pumps stop. The boats flow at the same pace as the water, so should the pumps fail, the boats currently on the circuit will be fine. The water does not travel faster than the boats, so the water level could not drop for boats already on the circuit should the pumps be shut off.

The wavemakers, as Intamin calls them, are machines with a large sheet of steel pivoted at the top, connected to a crank, gearbox, and then motor. The crank turns the rotational motion of the motor into a back-and-forth movement, which then swings the steel sheet back and forth. This is submerged in the water, so it moves a large volume of water back and forth, creating large waves that are not fixed into a location like the 'rapid' waves from the logs. It gives the effect of a turbulant lake or a rough ocean, with very choppy waters in the wave pool areas. These machines are usually perpendicular to the water flow and channel direction, meaning the waves come at you from a right angle to the direction the boat is travelling.

Thorpe Parks wavemaker is still operational, I believe. As are many others on many rapids around the world. They were one of the most popular additional features sold on older-generation Intamin Rapids rides.

Congo River Rapids is one of the few with three associated wavepool areas where the channel width widens quite substantially to slow the water flow in order to maximise the effect of the wavemakers.

It would be great if these were turned back on. I see no reason why they can't. Parks are just scared, I think. Not surprising.

Just to quickly address the claim the ride seemed faster. This is just your memory playing tricks on you. The speed of the water is determined by 4 factors and 4 factors only. Gravity, the gradient of the channel and the width of the channel and the volume of water travelling down the channel. Non of these have changed.

There is no speed option to turn the speed up and down. It is one speed and one speed only. Determined by physical limitations such as concrete and gravity. To change the speed in any meaningful way, major alterations would be needed to the rides channel.

As I've said a few times previously, the last updated legislation (which was essentially updated twice after the Draytons incident, may I add) relaxed the original, harsher rules placed upon these rides. The original post-Drayton legislation basically said that anything that can encourage guests to stand should be removed. The new one is now much more in line with how they were before the Drayton incident, even going so far as to acknowledge that features such as water cannons (one of the worst things for guests standing) will be on these attractions. The tone has changed from removing everything that could encourage guests to stand to understanding that guests will stand as a result of the rides features and managing those risks better when they happen. Far, far better, in my opinion.

I guess that before HSE had all the facts around the incident, they imposed harsh rules just in case the cause of Drayton's rapids was much more serious. After the conclusion of the investigation, it was clear what caused the incident, thus going forward, risks can be managed better, hence them pretty much reverting to how the rules were around rapids rides before the Drayton incident.

Anyway, the TLDR basically means Alton has nothing physically in place preventing them from operating the wavemakers.

Last edited:
A number of rule and operational changes are caused by insurance companies, not operators or H&S directives.
The insurance companies set their own rules, and offer what they see is a fair premium for a specifically defined risk.
This often dictates how rides operate...or not.
God bless the mouse.

That's a very good point actually.

A number of rule and operational changes are caused by insurance companies, not operators or H&S directives.
The insurance companies set their own rules, and offer what they see is a fair premium for a specifically defined risk.
This often dictates how rides operate...or not.
God bless the mouse.

Yes this is true, insurers will appoint surveyors to visit larger risks and conduct Risk Improvement Reports for actions to be completed within a specified timeframe to prevent cover being affected. Theme parks will certainly have these done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just saw this on Instagram. I’m still convinced CRR / Katanga Canyon will be the next area of the park to get a refresh / new theming. With this being refurbished/refreshed/moved, along with some extra new theming in the CRR queue line and repainting around KC, I do think this is the next area to get a transformation. Even if the theme remains the same just with enhanced theming.

From: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cx7xUeEtPu-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Just saw this on Instagram. I’m still convinced CRR / Katanga Canyon will be the next area of the park to get a refresh / new theming. With this being refurbished/refreshed/moved, along with some extra new theming in the CRR queue line and repainting around KC, I do think this is the next area to get a transformation. Even if the theme remains the same just with enhanced theming.

From: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cx7xUeEtPu-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

That's where the budget for the smiler takeover went

I'm really hopeful for a much improved Merlin future at the moment; We have certainly seen some glimmers this year 😊 Like @DistortAMG says, this is definitely a new approach!

It's no secret that I despair over the Rapids due to how much space they occupy & the lack of theming/removal of elements (at both TP and AT) but if we see a refresh as @Morgan Price suggests, it would transform the experience for me personally! There are some beautiful, fun & interesting rapids out there, would be a joy to see Merlin bring theirs up to a similar standard. I know many are happy with ride hardware minus the themed areas but I need my escapism 🤣😂

I do hope they make the area more richer in theming to take the area to the next level that it has been waiting for over a decade I'd say. Yes, it was solid when opened but now it feels a little lacking compared to other themed areas out there. Any idea what you'd like to see?

Perhaps maybe after both FV and Project Horizon are done, is KC next in line for something if this is anything to go by? I'd argue that KC has been overdue for a new attraction of some kind for many years now.

Any idea what you'd like to see?

Would love a theme upgrade to create a more thematic link with RMT (as they interact) committing to a mine/cave system theme. Jewels, stalagmites/tites - something along that vein!

Brings a tear to me eye, Katanga Kanyon being brought back to its former glory. Starting with the Runaway Mine Train getting a good jet wash, the universally praised return of the Waterfalls in the Congo River Rapids, and new props added in the area! I like how they even got a Range Rover from the 90s to fit in with the ascetic, great dedication! Makes me wonder if they'll do something with the cave section where the Runaway Mine Train and the Rapids interact with one another. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want the bridge redone so it doesn't feel like a wall on either side, but rather a fence so you can actually see the Rapids.