• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Future of the Congo River Rapids

I did the rapids on opening day, and my god they are so depressing now. I could happily not ride them again, which is a real shame as it used to be a ride we would do on every visit.

Now the queues are long (no boat sharing doesn’t help, but I guess with the removal of the flume also doesn’t help), and the ride is just so dull. We didn’t get a splash of water on our boat at All. You have the three wage pools turned off, making for fairly dull sections, then of course the waterfalls off which leads to a really uneventful ending of the ride.

However I did the Thorpe park rapids recently and what a contrast, they used to be seen as one of the worse rapids, I would say they are probably the best in the UK now. All of their wage pools are turned on as normal and so are the waterfalls in the tunnel, meaning I actually got soaked on it. Plus he queue is never long, as it doesn’t actually have much of a queue line.

It’s such a shame to see the towers rapids so dull and boring now.
I did Rumba a few weeks ago. It's in a terrible state, everything on it is falling apart, the queue and station are hanging, there's no theming and the tunnel looks embarrassing.

Yet still I agree with you that it's the better ride experience now! Whilst CRR is far better landscaped, longer and doesn't look as run down - it too has almost no theming and an embarrassing tunnel. The Rumba boats where still bouncing around all over the place, fast paced, unpredictable splashes coming in from every angle and the waterfall was on.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Bump!

I'm not going to believe this till I see it with my own eyes, but...

image0.png

If the waterfalls do return I wouldn't expect them to do so until next season now. Would be funny if they were turned on just in time for the cold weather though. :p

I mean it's clearly an edited picture but it'd be nice nonetheless.

EDIT: if it ends up being legit, I'll take it back and eat my hat.

I think that photo is from back when the waterfalls were last on. The message above it is the reason I posted it here. :)
I was just pointing it out because I noticed the waterfalls were on but the rapids boat has the gates on it which weren't present the last time they were on. I see your point though :)

Id assume they test them frequently to keep them ready if they can turn them back on, but I can't see them being back on without them having to put some sort of harness

Id assume they test them frequently to keep them ready if they can turn them back on, but I can't see them being back on without them having to put some sort of harness
As has been discussed before, CRR's boats are too small for seatbelts as they are more likely to capsize. Seatbelts would impede riders' escape in the event of that.

Back in the day (I’m 30 now, I can say that) when the waterfalls were on full flow, it was great fun going through them because your speed dropped right off and you were just slowly bobbing around in a great big washing machine. Then they started running just 1 side at a time and then obviously they’re now off completely. It would be great if they were coming back in their full glory but if they were coming back, I’d probably bet that they’d be on a much reduced flow rate than previously.

If Rumba Rapids can have no restraints and turned on waterfalls, there's absolutely no reason why this can't. Who knows, they might be looking into turning them on after all.

If anything the ones on CRR are safer as on both sides, therefore shouldn't encourage standing to avoid them as they are harder to avoild.

Apart from sightings of someone working in the waterfall section of the ride, do we have any knowledge of why CRR has been out of action for so long?
It's possible that they're taking advantage of the cold weather to do essential maintenance.

Last edited:
No more Rapids for the rest of the season then, not entirely unpredictable. Hopefully this will go some way towards putting the rumours of the waterfalls coming back on to bed.
Tis a shame, but at least we know why it's been closed for so long. Unless they use the extended closure as an excuse to spruce it up, but I wouldn't get our hopes up.