• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Galactica: General Discussion

Well I just hope we don't hear any sob stories from merlin regarding another poor year. And they wonder why when there's hardly any ride line up. It's a problem of their own making

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I just hope we don't hear any sob stories from merlin regarding another poor year. And they wonder why when there's hardly any ride line up. It's a problem of their own making

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

As I've said before in other topics, this park is at the end of it's life now. It's on it's arse, at least under Merlin ownership that's for sure.

I predict for next year that SW8 will be poorly received, and with the rest of the problems around the park guest satisfaction will be at an all time low. The press will jump on it and visitor numbers will not increase.

Once they realise the financial drain the resort accomodation is having on the books, especially with the CBeebies hotel, it'll be the final nail in the coffin.

SW8 will bring in more visitors, even if it is poorly received. Th13teen did. It's a new coaster that'll be heavily advertised.

As much as it may pain certain people to hear, Towers is not near the end of its life. Galactica situation is unfortunate, but it's hardly a deal breaker. Way too much overreacting going on. The visitor numbers appear to have grown somewhat this season already in comparison to the last two, so to say they won't increase next year with the introduction of a new coaster makes no logical sense.

Alton Towers will still be here in decades to come. And Merlin aren't going anywhere for the foreseeable.

Last edited:
I think this links in with my issue of no passion. How can there be so many issues with these rides at Alton and Thorpe so early in the season don't they do winter maintenance any more? And on another note where do they stand with trading standards having a ride advertised with VR which hasn't? ??

Trading standards would have no interest whatsoever for a large number of reasons, not least because it is not relevant to them. All rides are subject to availability in Towers T&Cs and this would include the VR on Galactica. If something is not working then it's just not working. Sure it's not good, in fact it's pretty embarrassing, but they are not breaking any laws!

They must have known about VR not working before March it's now nearly June that's quarter of a season not doing what it says it should or even running that is not good enough merlin seem to see to DBGT but ignore galactica why?
So what the heck are they doing how can it take a full closed season and nearly quarter of an open one to fit a new system which they had up and running last March after a few months?

I believe that Figment decided to change the whole VR system on Galactica over the closed season however they did not actually start the work on this until very close to the start of the season. No idea why, I guess they were busy with DBGT. And because they started so late the problems have run right into the main season. I don't think Towers are at all happy about it but you do have to question why they allowed Figment to make these changes, especially as they started so late.

EDIT:

Galactica has re-opened this morning although I do not know whether this is with or without VR.

:)

Last edited:
Rita was open for all of 10 minutes this morning before shutting, Air has been open all day (according to my spy gremlins).

Was on park just yesterday, Galactica was running without VR all day - exactly as it should be in my opinion. VR on coasters represents the surge we saw in interest in the VR technology, without any thinking as to how it might best be implemented. Works perfectly on a walk-through experience like DBGT, but I do not think VR works in any capacity on a coaster. I think it completely takes away from the experience the original Air provided, and I was very glad to ride the coaster without the VR headset - which completely removes you from the coaster experience.

Figment were on site again today, one side of the station was being used to work on one of the trains and towards the end of the day they brought that one into use and used the back row to test the VR (not on guests, that I saw).

Figment were on site again today, one side of the station was being used to work on one of the trains and towards the end of the day they brought that one into use and used the back row to test the VR (not on guests, that I saw).
It was quite early in the day I saw them testing.
I wonder how they are testing without sending the car around. Do they have a recording of the sensor data?

I think the only logical answer to Galacticair's problem is to utilise the dual station set up which they're fortunate to have with this ride.

1 side serves the coaster as Air, the other side serves as the VR experience "Galactica". They would need to sort the queuelines out so you could queue for one or the other, and adjust the way baggage hold works, but the basics are in place already.

It also gives them a bullsh!tty excuse to market 2 different rides to the public. We all know it's lies but the GP will lap it up and the marketing department will pat themselves on the back.

The only issue with that is that you exit from be opposite station when it's on 3 trains, so unless you just fit it all with VR, But only let people wear it on one site, or you only use two trains at once.
M

Also disabled access is one side only. Saturday they had about 6 hosts and were still stacking 2 trains no VR :/

The only issue with that is that you exit from be opposite station when it's on 3 trains, so unless you just fit it all with VR, But only let people wear it on one site, or you only use two trains at once.
M

There's a work around for that, remember on days when only 1 station was open they would feed multiple trains back into the same station. So its possible. They would just need to know which station the current train needs to be in at the end of it's run.