• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Galactica: General Discussion

Galactica requires 25 ride staff to run both stations, last year this was more than some of the other rides teams which had 4/5 rides to run. Not sure on the staffing levels of the shop/picsolve.

Well my next trip to AT is next Sunday, so I will be sure to let you know what I think of the new headsets. My conclusion last year is that they had removed any sensation of speed or motion from a ride that was vastly better before.

As I've got a couple of nights in ATH this time and don't need to drive, I can finally sample those ride named craft beers that they have behind the bar.

My review will follow!

According to Ridetimes.co.uk, Galactica is unavailable today. Does anyone know why?
Heave Ho and Go Jetters are also unavailable.

Rode Galactica a few times last weekend, and while riding it as Galactica its just so so, the R sets seem a little better than before, but adjusting the earpieces is awkward, and as soon as notice that you can pick out the pixelation on the display it stays with you for the entire ride. Theres also a few points where you can feel the ride pulling a little G force, yet the graphics dont quite match.

Riding it as it should be, as Air is a different experience, the tunnel is as grotty as ever, if not worse, and the grass/bushes/shrubs under the ride are not as manicured as they used to be but unlike the tunnel the apparent lack of attention to the undergrowth is a massive improvement as it now adds in a few head chopper ( ground slam?) moments as you swoop down towards the undergrowth and then pull away .

Galactica with its VR goggles has done one thing to Air, made it easy to forget just how much of a good ride experience Air is/was and could be again.

VR googles have a place, but not on a real coaster. Stick them on a robot arm type ride, bung in a few fans for airflow, and a few watersprays to simulate the staffordshire weather and you could run Galactica as a true VR simulation ride, leaving Air as it was designed.
With a few computer graphics you could even re-create some of the lost rides of Alton towers, from Corkscrew ( without the roughness) to the Beast, Alton mouse and so on

Galactica is shut all day today, to add to yesterday and Friday. I really don't understand the point of having a ride which is down more than it is operating. It's been nothing more than a waste of time and money.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

To be honest you would think with all this down time they would open up nemesis subterra. What's the point of trecking all the way to forbidden valley for 2 rides? Oh sorry I forgot forbidden sweep

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Galactica is shut all day today, to add to yesterday and Friday. I really don't understand the point of having a ride which is down more than it is operating. It's been nothing more than a waste of time and
In this case it would be closed VR or no VR. Stuff happens.

as a side note the weight of all that VR gear can't be good for the ride. They've presumably doubled the weight of an unloaded train. This must effect components such as the chain lift and assuming the position.

Last edited:
Wonder if they took that into consideration or just brushed it off as 'just a few headsets, no need to worry'.

Wonder also if they've checked that cladding that's now on the the Galatica building to see if it's fireproof...

The VR was added with support from B&M.

In terms of weight, the VR components are minimal in the grand scheme of things when you consider the vehicle and riders. Think about the difference between a train full of kids and a train full of rugby players.

Wonder also if they've checked that cladding that's now on the the Galatica building to see if it's fireproof...

Isnt the cladding around the station just single skin steel as opposed to a full( expensive) insulated building?

The upper cladding that was use to build it when it was new is insulated

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk