• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Galactica: General Discussion

It was in sync to begin with?
If the lift hill changes speed, the VR imagery would need to change speed, meaning the audio would also need to change speed to stay in sync with everything else.

However due to the longer dispatch times I have never seen the lift hill slow down since 2015.

As @spinba11 says, the VR doesn't 'change speed' as such. I believe it is set to detect the motion of a craft cresting the lifthill.

If it detects that the craft is still going up the lifthill when you reach the end of the lift scene you'll enter the first wormhole and the transition scene will play continuously until you are over the top of the lifthill. At this point it will resume normal playback.

It's quite a clever solution really. It's one of those things you wouldn't really realise unless you knew what it's doing :)

How did a discussion about a mechanical issue with Air descend into bashing the VR when they have nothing to do with each other?

The issue that has caused Galactica to have extended periods of downtime this year is completely ride related and is not caused by the VR whatsoever, if anything the VR works much better now than it ever did last year, even if it is still rubbish. It's the ride that is failing in this instance, not the VR.

I assume they use the same dynamic sound design as a lot of video games to make sure the beats are always in sync with your actions. Take Planet Coaster as a perfect example. When you load a game it plays the main menus music, but no matter how long it takes to load the parks opening jingle will always sync up. More than that if you add onride music listen very closely when riding the ride and again you'll notice the beats speed up and slow down based on the ride you've designed.

If a game can dynamically match sound to a ride on the fly I'm sure these VR coasters can achieve the same thing.

I assume they use the same dynamic sound design as a lot of video games to make sure the beats are always in sync with your actions. Take Planet Coaster as a perfect example. When you load a game it plays the main menus music, but no matter how long it takes to load the parks opening jingle will always sync up. More than that if you add onride music listen very closely when riding the ride and again you'll notice the beats speed up and slow down based on the ride you've designed.

Love this feature in Planet Coaster, music will end perfectly as it enters the station. I've yet to try it with custom music, I don't want the Galactica soundtrack to be cut short lol

Reactions: Tim
The question I asked was is it open yet? And if not when will it be open?

The answer is it has had a technical issue with the ride system, not the VR and is awaiting a part. As none of us are Alton Towers engineers, we don't know. Tweet Alton if you're that desperate, but expect a corporate response.

The question I asked was is it open yet? And if not when will it be open?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Corporate response being:

Answer to first question: No

Answer to second question: When it's fixed.

But we have 'lots' of other attractions blah blah....

;)

There are not that many other attractions which are open or even working .I just thought someone might be in the know when it might be open again ? My daughter wanted to go to Alton Towers for her birthday but she'll probably want to leave it if galactica is still down and go somewhere else.

There are not that many other attractions which are open or even working .I just thought someone might be in the know when it might be open again ? My daughter wanted to go to Alton Towers for her birthday but she'll probably want to leave it if galactica is still down and go somewhere else.

I wouldn't delay your visit on account of Galactica. Just sit in the back of someone's car on a quick hop to the shops, load up YouTube on your smartphone and play back an exterior shot supercut from the original series of Star Trek with the phone 1 inch from your face. Then put one earphone in.

On trip adviser I've noticed a few unhappy visitors comments about no galactica and the replies from towers are a joke

The VR on this is piss poor. AIR was fine needed a bit of a clean up and possibly implementing the original design but it was fine. Another ride ruined by Merlin. Wardley must be seething after seeing what has become of his park

Corporate response being:

Answer to first question: No

Answer to second question: When it's fixed.

But we have 'lots' of other attractions blah blah....

;)
Corporate double speak just annoys people, i would prefer a more technical reason sometrhing along the lines of:

In short a component of the ride needs to be replaced in order to improve reliability.
A few more details have shown that the bearings for the main drive shaft out of the gearbox on the lift hill drive are showing excess wear and these need to be replaced, this is why we have had to close the ride every now and again as the motor has been working extra hard to overcome the wear on the bearings. Gearbox Drive shafts, Bearings and bearing support devices are precision engineered custom made parts and have to be made to order from the ride manufacturer, Boliger and Mabillard, in Switzerland. Whilst this is an important part of the ride, its not a safety critical part and the ride could easily function with the lift hill motor and gearbox being replaced with a hand crank, however this would be extremely hard work and unfair on our dedicated staff who are working hard at getting Galactica ready for its next launch

They will never admit that something is wearing out though. The press / idiots would think that means the ride is unsafe... Even though anyone with an ounce of technical knowledge would know that all mechanical parts wear out over time and need replacing.

Shock horror, things wear out and need replacing.
Things are replaced as they begin to wear, and are replaced before the wear becomes an issue.

Didnt Alton towers state that Oblivion was closed for a few weeks ( or longer) due to a gearbox fault ( ie natural wear and tear) and a new part being required?

Surprised that the Mail didnt pick up on Nemesis being over 20 years old, an age where most cars are scrapped or have long been scrapped.