Galactica: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rob, 24th Mar 2016.

1. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

My vote would be removing Rita and replacing it with a multi-launch coaster from Intamin or Mack. Maybe even have it interact with Thirteen! Rita is just too short and doesn't fit the area so well.

Only thing that I would miss is the launch, as it's fantastic. The few LSM coasters I've been on are all weaker than pneumatic/hydraulic launch coasters.

I am sorry to see the VR go, but I have yet to see a VR coaster operated efficiently so I guess it's for the best. I think I will give Air a miss though unless there is no queue.

2. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Good to see that VR has finally been removed from Galactica. Yet another Merlin investment at Alton Towers that only lasted a few seasons. At least we did get a very good soundtrack out of it!

WickerManiac likes this.
  3. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

What a waste of money that VR was. They could have installed decent theming around the ride and maybe even put in the small lake and waterfalls like on the original plans for the cost of the VR. Glad to see it has gone now though

4. Altonadvocate1

Altonadvocate1 TowersStreet Member

5. Electricio

Electricio TowersStreet Member

On one of my visits around easter time, Oblivion was on 1hr45 but within jalf an hour it read 20 minutes

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

6. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

So the original advertised queue was wrong cus it can't go from 105 to 20 in that time

7. Electricio

The problem with Galactica now, is that its air with a portal (and a zarking good soundtrack). I hope they'v added some more theming around the area, though this is Merlin we're talking about, so in that regard, we have about enough chance as a whelk in a supernova.

I think that at it's core, Galactica should keep it's theme, space travel, because it's a great ride theme. They just need to make it believable on some level.

But they should try and incorporate it more into Forbidden Valley, because it sticks out like a sore thumb. They could combat this by partially re-theming it to include some sort of aliens. It could even have a connection to the Nemesis Monster in some respect.

It would be fantastic if they gave this a proper range of props and theming rather than giving bloody Cbeebies Land an extra acre of land.

Laura91 likes this.
  8. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    It really stings that the Galactica retheme has been made redundant, especially considering how unusual and unique the original theme for Air was. Few coasters of this scale adopt a theme that doesn't pose some kind of threat or challenge, and fewer still encourage the rider to embrace the experience that the coaster offers. It was a rare case of a high concept working and having something to say about our relationship with exhilaration, and it's a particularly interesting ride considering its place in history - a positive flight-themed futuristic ride opening in an otherwise apocalyptic area, a year after one of the most harrowing terror events in western history.

I wish I could say that it's possible to still ride Air as it was intended, but the ridiculous "space travel agency" theme is obviously sticking around. I don't understand how anyone can think that theme is any more relevant than the original high concept, besides the obvious "it's space, and the Nemesis creature is probably also from space". As much as a post-apocalyptic retheme would mean the end of the current theme, I think it would still be disheartening to see the ride adopt the very opposite stance of what it originally stood for.

Martin, pluk, DiogoJ42 and 2 others like this.
  9. Electricio

I rode galactica just an hour ago, the only things left if the space theme is the portal, the signs and the soundtrack. No queline video, no dispatch sound.

Its all been made very redundant

10. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    I believe a new video will be instated in the coming weeks.

11. Electricio

That'd be good seeing how its just a blank wall rn

12. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

It’s not like they have had since November to sort out new videos and audio or anything.

WickerManiac, ringo and DiogoJ42 like this.
  13. Imagination

Imagination TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Terror Of The Towers.
    The ride hasn't had a dispatch sound effect since Air sadly. The Galactica instructional video took over all station audio - hopefully this will be addressed soon.

14. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    I didn't even hear the Galactica music on Tuesday outside the RCR.

15. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    See the TS Facebook for photographs of the new video playing today.

Music was also back on loud around the area.

:)

MattyH and Skyscraper like this.
  16. Danny

Favourite Ride:
    Just enjoyed a great ride with the VR on. Oops.

Joel3 likes this.
  17. Doublethink

Doublethink TowersStreet Member

Rode galactica yesterday. The new video looked to me like just a chop job of the old one with any reference to headsets removed

18. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    How? I thought the VR was gone?

19. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

The headsets that were there last season are still there, just not being used

Matt N likes this.
  20. Danny

Favourite Ride:
    One train still has two rows of VR. I hit the headset sync button once restraints were checked and got the visor out of the pouch at the top of the lift hill. Perfectly synced as well.