• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Galactica: General Discussion

In finding you are much better riding it in the afternoon. In the morning it's on one station and we queued a good 20 minutes from halfway across the bridge, it moved painfully slow.

In the afternoon at about 4pm it had two stations and was walk on on both sides.

Apparently they have had a lot of issues with staff not turning up/off sick so they can't open the second station until staff have had their breaks, then there are enough staff in the afternoon for both sides. All 20 staff members that is.

After doing it a few times I have decided I don't like it and prefer Air. Today I just took my headset off straight away and enjoyed the ride much more than Galactica.
I did the exact same thing the 2nd time I rode it. Actually I was on the front for the first time and after the hill lift I just put the headset on my forehead and enjoyed the Carpark ;)

Staff are calling in sick, eh? That can only mean one of two things;
a) The workload is so high / tedious / soul crushing that they would rather bunk off and not get paid (I'm guessing Merlin don't give paid sick leave?)
Or
b) Everyone who had hygiene fears over the headsets was right, and the staff are picking up every skin disease / eye infection carried by the riders!

Very disappointed with Galactica's performance today. I rode 5 times and had technical issues each time, 3 times the Galactica logo screen appeared behind me (you could see the top of it of you looked down beyond your view), the Galactica assistant walked off and the ride ser off before I could do anything, so had to ride around holding it.

The other 2 times the edges of the screen were warped and caused parts of the screen to be black as if the picture was part missing.

There were a few headsets down and there was a bloke there with a contractor pass checking headsets out and taking them down at various points across the day.

So I see someone mentioned the lack of screaming from riders... How strange it is!! I noticed this myself and find it odd that having a VR headset appears to distract so much from the rollercoaster track and train experience that people are holding onto their restraints, not making a sound and not really getting that flying coaster experience.

I don't mind the fact Air has VR. I mind that the operational impact of having a craft full of headsets clearly wasn't anticipated to be so detrimental. In other words, it wasn't properly thought out. When the rest of the park has 0 minute queues and galactica is 40, there's a problem. Proof that throwing extra staff and resources at something doesn't work!

It's very strange. I took my headset off and not one person on the craft made any noise. You kind of forget you are actually on a ride and are too distracted by the VR than the ride.

It's a bizarre experience watching the person next to you with a VR headset on in an almost trance state, then appear to suddenly wake up on the brake run when they take their headset off.

Rode this. A load of rubbish. I get the feeling this has just given AIR a stay of execution and can see it going in the next 2-3 years

They won't be getting rid of Air. But I can see VR quietly being taken off and they try to explain it away as "Never intended to be permanent" or something

Air is going no where soon. It's not even that old and it does its job. And I think this VR is here to stay. Yes it might be abit faffy at the minute but I'm sure they will figure a way to have less staff and less fiddling around with the headset. Remember it's only just practically come out give it time and there will be a solution!

I don't want Air to go anywhere, it's great. I just think at have a bigger plan for the area it currently sits. Just a feeling

The flying rollercoaster model will not be leaving the resort any time soon - it's far too popular.

However, the VR aspect? I really can't see this lasting as long as the coaster did under the AIR brand. I reckon a maximum of 5 more seasons...but the ability to not wear a headset and just ride it as it is? I reckon that will be (re)introduced by next season (if not before).

Last edited:
Thinking about the money they have spent on this....

- they could have done up the tunnel once and for all
- they could have put in a small lake, waterfall to fly over/past
- the last section they could have made "volcanic", flying over mountains, small volcanoes with steam coming out of them

And probably still had some change left over instead of doing this VR malarky and made Air a really good ride.

Thinking about the money they have spent on this....

- they could have done up the tunnel once and for all
- they could have put in a small lake, waterfall to fly over/past
- the last section they could have made "volcanic", flying over mountains, small volcanoes with steam coming out of them

And probably still had some change left over instead of doing this VR malarky and made Air a really good ride.

I agree. But is any of that marketable to get people to come to the park? Probably not. They needed something 'new' and decided that VR on Air was the way to go. I'd have much prefered a new Dark Forest flat or something similar.

:)