• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Game of Thrones

LiamC

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Hex
Can't sea topic for this and there must be people on here who watch it!

Just finished watching the first episode of the 3rd series now and I'm so very glad it's back! Anyone else knocking about watched it? :)

Me and the flatmate are a bit obsessed with it. We even bought bottles of wine with Game of Thrones-esque names for monday's episode.

I've read the first 2 books, going to read the rest when this season finishes I reckon.

I've now caught up with all three seasons and loved them. Having read the books I was excited to see how it all came to life on TV and how what I imagined the characters to look like matched up. I was all-round massively impressed and the casting all-round is fantastic. Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is terrific.

Big spoilers coming below.

I was especially interested and concerned about how Ned's death and The Red Wedding massacre would be brought to life but I think that both were done extremely well. The silence in the credits following these only adds to the shock. Even though I knew what was coming, I was still shocked and speechless. Excited for Season 4!

Season 3 episode 9 - The day I died on the inside.

I plan on rewatching all three seasons (minus above mentioned episode) just before season four starts

Danza91 said:
Valar morghulis.

Valar Dohaeris.

I can't wait for this. From what I've seen and read so far this series looks to be a lot more action led episode to episode rather than following the format of the last three seasons with the slow build up to the ninth episode then a reactionary episode as the last in the season.

In related news the BBC have an interesting article on what novel inspired G.R.R Martin to pen the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series here:

Game of Thrones: The cult French novel that inspired George RR Martin

LiamC said:
Danza91 said:
Valar morghulis.
I can't wait for this. From what I've seen and read so far this series looks to be a lot more action led episode to episode rather than following the format of the last three seasons with the slow build up to the ninth episode then a reactionary episode as the last in the season.

Yeah, I think a lot of that is down to the fact that they're kind of 2/3s of the way through Volume 3 so it's going to be a case of carrying it on. Pt 2 of A Storm of Swords is the best of the books (IMO), so in theory, Season 4 should be the best series so far.

I personally can't wait to see Margaery Tyrell's wedding dress in the fourth series.

tumblr_n2pb14lgdF1qgfbkmo3_250.gif

tumblr_n2pb14lgdF1qgfbkmo4_250.gif

tumblr_n2pb14lgdF1qgfbkmo2_250.gif

tumblr_n2pb14lgdF1qgfbkmo1_250.gif

It just bluntly says "I'm a dangerous woman and I hate you" to Joffrey :)

[/House Tyrell supporter]

I've recorded it - wasn't able to watch it live last night unfortunately... halfway through book 4 at the moment too! (that is, the 5th volume). :D

I thought it was a great premiere and it's also good news that it's pulling in even more viewers.

My only concern over the show is if it differentiates too much from the books. For example: Massive spoilers below!

In the final scene of 'Two Swords', Arya and The Hound don't exactly leave the area as a duo. The Hound is badly wounded and in a state where Arya considers killing him, and he encourages her to do it. She declines and leaves him to die. They may still incorporate this into the show later (well they kind of have to) so it might not be a big thing.

Also with Jon Snow. He has his trial etc after the battle with the Wildlings and is then sent to kill Mance Rayder to prove he isn't a turncloak. I think Jon's scenes they struggle with because a lot of his chapters are his thoughts - they did make a bit of a mess of Qhorin Halfhand though.

Again, this stuff is probably easy enough to get around, but certain things I worry could differentiate from the book too much e.g. The Red Wedding and Robb's wife.

At least GRRM is involved a lot though so he'll be able to adapt. As much as I want The Winds of Winter NOW, I hope he isn't pressured too much to releasing it prematurely.

I hope GRRM doesn't adapt at all, especially if its adapting to the TV show. The books came first and as such should lead the way. The sheer depth of character and event in the books is impossible to translate to a 10 episode series - I get the feeling that the longer the series goes on the more of an "inspired by..." series it will become. Not that I have a problem with that - it happens to a lot of adaptations and is just part of the process.

Must admit though, for myself personally I've not enjoyed the last couple of series. I found the first series mesmerizing, which led me to read the series of books. Watching the series now feels a bit shallow... I can only recommend you read the books to see how much you're missing!

I've just finished watching the most recent episode, here is a list of GIFs accurately describing my reaction to the final scene:

tumblr_inline_mh7qsxy1Eo1qz4rgp.gif

tumblr_m8crrc5QSx1qfd3ik.gif

tumblr_inline_mh1lw2O7N71rx0sol.gif

Keeping it spoiler free ;)

BUMP! Book spoilers in the spoiler tags.

Season 6 is almost here (April 24th)! Is everyone over Season 5 yet? I doubt it because we all know that thing that happened at the end has more to it. I did feel that Season 5 was the weakest so far. It had some very high points however some things which were changed/added didn't work and really dragged the show down. Episode 6 my god what a terrible hour of television that was, however episode 8 was one of the best hours of television I can remember.

This will be the first season for me where I don't really know what is going to happen as it has overtaken the books so I'm very excited for it. I don't think it will spoil the next book (when it does come out) as they are so far apart now. Though, I do think they will add in some things from A Feast for Crows and maybe A Dance with Dragons which they left out in Season 5 -
particularly in the Riverlands. Judging from the trailer, Jaime, Brienne & Pod are all in the Riverlands and the latter two can be seen with Tully banners in the background. Could we be getting Lady Stoneheart, I still have hope?