• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Gardaland

Sequoia Magic Loop was refurbished for the 2019 season but this year, it has remained shut (could just be temporary cost cutting or weight load as the train can only hold 4 people). On-ride, it's by no means a good coaster but it's actually kind of fun to be on.

It had been up for sale for a few years if I remember rightly, but based on the fact they gave it a bit of a tart up to coincide with the Year of Magic in 2019 (When it became “Magic Loop”) I’d assume no one wanted it and they’re now stuck with it.

That said, this is Merlin. A proud tradition of dressing rides for the funeral :tearsofjoy:

Is their Sequoia Magic Loop rollercoaster still open? I’ve heard it’s awful but I’d like to ride it ast some point and it doesn’t seem to be on their website? Didn’t it only get refurbished last year?
Yh it was SBNO in 2017-2019 when it reopened under the terrible paint job. The website isn't very reliable there a re a few rides missing so it's unfortunately still open yes!

Justin’s house also at towers (which could actually open at some pint when rules were relaxed but they chose not to). There were also plenty of rides shut at Heide park when I went in the summer, which were closed due to COVID, such as the observation tower, driving school, a selection of flat rides. However pretty sure most are closed due to costs and not COVID, as similar rides were open in other German theme parks we did on that trip!

It would appear that Gardaland is currently in the process of building a new major investment for 2022, replacing their interactive dark ride Ramses II:

While it is not known what type of ride this will be, most rumours are indicating a roller coaster of some kind, and there have been some rumours that the attraction will be themed to the Jumanji film franchise. That would certainly make sense given the styling on the banner!

What are your thoughts?

Further random IPs littering the park. Why not.
Rightly or wrongly, Merlin have made it very clear that IPs are a key part of their strategy. Especially when it comes to family attractions (which I’m assuming this might be given that it’s replacing a family dark ride).

As much as I’d always take an original theme over an IP, I don’t really mind IPs being used as long as the attraction is well executed, and given Merlin’s recent track record, I’m sure this one will be!

Besides, the Jumanji theme is merely a rumour at this stage. It’s by no means confirmed; this could yet have an original theme.

They are certainly due a major new ride and I think have gone the longest out the Merlin resort theme parks since the last major in park investment (excluding the separate Legoland water park).

it’s also good to see Merlin moving ahead with major investments. With chessingtons new coaster and land expected in 2023. Based on when parks last received a major investment I expect we will possibly see merlins major investments look like Thorpe (2024), Alton (2025) and Heide park (2026). I think Merlin said each major investment is every 5 years. With 5 resort theme parks makes sense that one park per year will get the major investment.

Apparently Merlin are actually more keen to invest greater money into the parks now that they are under private ownership and don’t have any shareholders to answer to, which I find interesting!

Could this explain things like a new coaster for Chessington finally getting the green light?

On the subject of Gardaland 2022, I should clarify that we do not know whether or not this will be a coaster investment. The Jumanji IP is also nothing more than a rumour at this stage.

Last edited:
I remember so little about this ride, perhaps that says it all? I recall the entrance.

For anyone who’s ridden it and remembers it, what was Ramses II actually like? I know it was interactive, but was it a ride you rated highly?

I know it’s been rumoured to have been on the chopping block for years, but that surprised me, as the interactivity implies that it wasn’t an especially old ride. Unless they did a Duel/Tomb Blaster and fitted a pre-existing dark ride with laser guns (I guess the name Ramses II implies that some refurbishment may have taken place at some stage…).

I recall it without guns, they were maybe added a decade ago. It was called Valley of the Kings at some point, I think.

For such a large scale dark ride, Ramses is utter crap. It feels like a big building too, so hopefully this'll be a good improvement. :)